• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

27.3850 lsb call ch... 2hr qso, really?

Sounds like the typical Aussie vs. Kiwi stuff. The same guys that black listed you are probably the ones that are still mad about Crowded House turning out not to really be Aussie.

i once got my name and callsign blacklisted in cb action (aussie cb mag) for talking on the "AT" call channel (27.555)..seems they didnt like it i was living on a island and would not "QSL" so they blacklisted me...lol silly clubs

they call me "Stewart Island 44" and i am black out break break

all i ever hear on ch38 lsb is donkey stomper dokey stomper ..those poor mexicans

Reactions: Sonar
Exactly. Channel 38 is not a call channel and only became a somewhat defacto call channel only because some people thought that for some strange reason that DX was better and more common there and started to monitor it and call on it. I don't even know if a "gentleman's agreement" exists that it is to be a call channel despite many using it as such. Years ago we had such agreements about ch.11 being the AM call channel and ch 16 LSB was the SSB calling frequency but there was nothing stopping anyone from using either for long QSO's. If 38 is busy move to the opposite sideband or ch 37 or 39.
Before I comment I'd like to say that even though 38 LSB is a nightmare I use it..
If there's dx I'll stop there in order to say hello to the many people I've befriended. Many of whom seem pleased to stay there as long as their rig's are on.
If I contact someone I would like to have a QSO with I'll tell them to qsy.
It's amazing how everyone seems to have to park there when 36, 39 and 40 LSB are empty in comparison.
When the cycle was in full swing and hundreds of stations were calling each other and doubling, tripling and quadrupling over each other I would just say my handle and a qsy. Enough stations would go there to keep me busy for hours if I was so inclined. 38 LSD is so attractive to so many and I'll never understand why. Especially since there's three other channels that are quiet while 38 LSB is one big QRM session. That's not mentioning the so-called freehand frequency's that are open and even quieter then the legal frequencies. I know it's not legal but on 11 meters 27.555 USB seems to be the only real call frequency on 11 meters. I guess it's a gentleman's agreement and most do follow the unwritten rule.
Of course like anywhere now a days there's always going to be that clown in the bunch but for the most part operator's do follow the agreement, call and, move.on to the requested frequency.
I actually heard an argument between 2 locals recently (on 38 LSB). A station in Phil. was arguing that 38 was a call frequency. He was adamant about that. I wonder if the OP is the same guy?
Even if that were the case and 38 was a call frequency, How many actually would follow that rule? HF transceivers, amplifiers, open clarifiers modified audio sections ECT ECT ECT are illegal but many many many people do it anyway. I too break the rules. Every time I turn on my setup but i consider myself a good operator anyway. No noise toys. Don't key over others. Just common sense and courtesy goes a long way. 73

Last edited:
You know the answer to that one. Why would the FCC condone an out-of-band frequency to be used as a call frequency? Why would the ARRL care about something outside the amateur bands? Besides the ARRL is concerned with the AMERICAN bandplan anyway and has zero say about anything outside the USA. 27.555 became a popular calling frequency as far back as the early 80's IIRC. I remember the Alpha-Tango group popularizing that frequency as a call frequency and most likely that is why it has become the defacto international call frequency. Maybe not but that is what I remember from being active on that band back then and was a member of that group.

How do you know they are hams without a callsign? Anybody can claim they are anything. In any event ignoring them is the proper thing to do.

My point is that someone in Europe could care less about a North American call frequency just as much as a station in Kansas could care less about a call frequency in Italy. Regional call freqs. with worldwide propagation will always lead to problems with people rag chewing on someone's call frequency. This is the reason why DX windows on the amateur bands are worldwide however they are not legally binding and subject to gentleman's agreements of which by faaaar the majority abide.
Hams would be foolish to give their call sign. Considering many are not only breaking the law by operating on their hf on cb. And sometimes out of the allocated cb channels but they be there. They definitely be there!!

I always considered channel 38 lsb a call channel of sorts, but I didn't see it in writing from anybody. I've also heard may others make the same claim, but there are always bosses on CB radio.

On the other hand, I've also heard that on the ham bands all operations are strictly by the book, regulated, and everybody follows the rules, and that is the RULE.:LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
I think the CB meaning of "calling channel" is a lot different than a "calling frequency" fro hams. To the average CB'er it means channel 39 in lsb mode is where you go if you want to talk to someone using ssb and not make a contact and move to another channel. LIke channel 6 is for talking to yourself while running 6 kw. To those CB'ers who do define a calling frequency like we hams do - we want you to get your ticket!

Reactions: LeapFrog
When 38 was busy I sometimes would call a couple times and QSY to .360, .370 or .400. This kinda cut back on the number of people following you and is also much quieter. I stay away from .380 and .390...to much qrm from .385. Or just call and QSY up above 40. None of these suggestions are legal BUT this is 11m we're talking about...

Gentleman

rofl.gif

When 38 was busy I sometimes would call a couple times and QSY to .360, .370 or .400. This kinda cut back on the number of people following you and is also much quieter. I stay away from .380 and .390...to much qrm from .385. Or just call and QSY up above 40. None of these suggestions are legal BUT this is 11m we're talking about...
You were completely legal until you hit the above 40.
I save 385 for the base. in the mobile I rarely even try it, I'll call around on the other "designated" ssb freqs.
I haven't free banded since the mid to late 90's, but even then out of country contacts weren't unusual in the legal US band. Europe, Russia, Australia along with many others all right there for the smackin'.

You were completely legal until you hit the above 40.
I'm no expert on fcc rules and regulations regarding cb radio. I also know the fcc has all but given up on the 11m band. If rules where enforced the fcc would probably take a dim view of play in between channels. In order to even get there in the first place use of a "open clarifier" or vfo would be required....both prohibited by the rules for cb and not included factory by any type accepted cb radio...at least in my understanding.

First,
there have always been channels used for various specified purposes on 11 meter CB in the U.S. Some were officially recognized in part 95, the F.C.C. rules - like channel 9. Others were more the product of common recognized practice - like channel 19 for truckers and LSB 16 for SSB enthusiasts. These were just good practices. Recognizing LSB 38 as a hailing frequency was a just another good practice responsible radio enthusiasts embraced and respected. Hogging up any channel for too long should be discouraged. Doing it on a frequency commonly used the way LSB 38 is used is pretty much inexcusable.

Second,
All my dreams have been shattered

Just "Don't Dream It's Over"

Third,
i once got my name and callsign blacklisted in cb action (aussie cb mag) for talking on the "AT" call channel (27.555)..seems they didnt like it i was living on a island and would not "QSL" so they blacklisted me...lol silly clubs

they call me "Stewart Island 44" and i am black out break break

You throw in Stewart Island on top of all of that north island/south island talk and you must have seriously confused them.

Reactions: WR3143

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.