• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

COBRA 2000 GTL

Feedback is always welcome. I enjoy it. Word it as so, and it will be taken as so. Stand on a soapbox and make a comment like "you'd better do your homework before responding junon600; because i know EXACTLY what im talking about here", and it will be brushed off as it was. There that out of the way. Take stock in what I say or not, doesn't affect me. I too know what I'm talking about. If I feel a challenge of facts is warranted, I will answer to facts. Exact facts. I do however think that out of the broad spectrum of forums, this is the better of the bunch. So the readers usually have enough sense to take a little of what they need , fact or opinion from everyone, and apply it well for the most part. My unintentional hijacking of the post is over, apologize for doing so.

Hello to all from a newby.

I was reading all of the talk about the Cobra 2000GTL and thought I would chime in. Believe it or not, I have a Cobra 2000GTL that has never been used as a base or mobil radio station. It currently is still in the orginal box with the original hand mike and manual. If I remember correctly, I paid around $349.00 for it new. It was only connected to power to take this picture. Ever buy anything that was so great looking that you just put it on a shelf to look at? I don't remember the purchase date but but I promise you this completely stock base radio has never been talked on.

I currently use an RCI 6900F-150 for my base.

Cobra2000.jpg

Last edited:
"Ever buy anything that was so great looking that you just put it on a shelf to look at? "
i kind of did something similar to that once with a girl . she left me . :(
she taught me that , if i can't use it , i dont keep it ! ;)

I got one of those on the shelf things myself. It gets drove about twice a summer an sits in the garage the rest of the year

Ron
ol'fart

Attachments

• dunebuggy.jpg
    dunebuggy.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 10
I got one of those on the shelf things myself. It gets drove about twice a summer an sits in the garage the rest of the year

Ron
ol'fart

Ron, You mean like this? I bought this 1970 Torino Cobra new in September or 1971. The day after retuning home from Vietnam.

mark_amann1.jpg

I had that exact same color combo on mine. Do you have the louvers? 4 Speed. I wish I had that one and my '66 7 Liter 4 speed now.:headbang

I had that exact same color combo on mine. Do you have the louvers? 4 Speed. I wish I had that one and my '66 7 Liter 4 speed now.:headbang

No, it didn't have the loveurs. It was a 4 speed. What they called a Drag Pack 429 SCJ.

Last edited:
Old stuff is good and fun..we that buy that kind of things really are not interested in price.. price is important. but the material thing is what makes it work and is important.. I want that.. if you know what I mean.
Doug <smile>

Old radios are like old cars. Fun to run but more work. A Cobra 2000 will have better ears than any export. I agree Grants and 148s are easier to keep working but it dont have the looks some are going for. Im getting a Browning redone as we speek and its not going to be cheap. But thats what I want and I have to pay for it. We all like different things and thats part of the fun. And talk about transmit and super receive. When I was 11 years old I used to stare at the Browning adds and think if I ever could own one of them I could die and my life would be complete. This was back when they were new. Sometimes its nice to have somthing that reminds you of when you were younger and times were simple.Be it Guns,Cars, or for me a Browning Mark 3. Me and Mr Doug think the same. Im gone now

Cobra 2000GTL

I had a Cobra 2000GTL in 1982 and I had to sell it, that was a big mistake on my part, brought another in 1991 and had it till 1995, it was a great radio, but sold it when I upgraded my HAM ticket. Brought a 1982 2000 that had been rebuilt off ebay for $350.oo in 2007 and have been very very happy with it, then brought a 1992 new Cobra 2000GTL off ebay for five big ones at Xmas of 2007, think I am set for the rest of my life now, Great great CB radios. When tuned correctly they are sweet, and the ears can't be beat on CB, I'm an old guy now but can always hear every word on AM & SSB on the Cobra 2000GTL, that more than I can say about my ICOM's...hmmm................Walterb

Well SwitchKit, I think you are dead wrong about not putting out that kind of money for those units. You can not just go out a find a big ugly base station that's built like a rock and made to last with real solid parts anymore, why? NO ONE MAKES THEM ANYMORE !

The 2000's are built to last and trust me in the 30 years that I've been repairing radios, I have worked on more new Galaxy and Ranger base stations than I ever have any Cobra or Uniden base station, hell, even the old Galaxy Galaxy Saturn's were the last well built units out there, there's not be a descent heap built since.

Take it from my old repair tech. ass if someone had a mint Cobra 2000 base station for sale and they wanted $500.00 for it and you had $500.00 to spend should you buy it?

You be an idiot not to. It sounds to me like you keep missing your ebay chance and if you can't get one, then no one should???

Hell, I've had three of them 2 were bought brand new, selling them was the worst mistake I have ever made in my life.

IM sorry here guys , but there time and place has come and gone as far as IM concerned. I can not believe what guys will pay for these dinosaurs. Sure there good RX and TX'ing radio. But 200 to 500 for one used ? !! No Way !!

You try finding parts for those nowadays ! or a replacement freq counter read out ! I just don't understand what these guys are thinking putting up the cash for these ? The way I look at it is this , You could get a used older 148 GTL or Grant and do just as good , You could even put a brand new freq counter on those. (that's all those radios are is the 2000 in a mobile form)

Not to mention the power supplies in those radios , especially after they were used bord out on AM and especially SSB !! You would still be one up using a nice power supply on the other radios I mentioned. Oh , you can forget modifying the Cobra 2000s with Mosfets as well because there wouldn't be enough power from the inner supply to handle them.

I just don't see the big deal anymore with the Cobra 2000s , although I see negativity as it is. This is just my opinion and you guys out there thinking about putting up some big cash for one , you might think twice before you do for the simple fact you could do so much better for your dollar today.

I will take my 2000GTL over the noisy Crappy RX of a 2517 any day.

dont take this the wrong way but the recieve on my Galaxy 2517 is really nice
maybe a bad receive tune up you got or something that had gone out in it

but sure i wouldnt turn down a 2517 and for sure the cobra 1000 or the 2000 for that mater

if done right the cobra 1000 and the 2000 have what i think the best receive and audio quality alot better than most of this stuff coming out

dont take this the wrong way but the recieve on my Galaxy 2517 is really nice
maybe a bad receive tune up you got or something that had gone out in it

but sure i wouldnt turn down a 2517 and for sure the cobra 1000 or the 2000 for that mater

if done right the cobra 1000 and the 2000 have what i think the best receive and audio quality alot better than most of this stuff coming out

You 110% got that got that right. I have several newer units that I refuse to even accept for repairs anymore, simply because they are not worth the time to even set on the bench, give me a Cobra 2000, and I'll spend hours on it if need be.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.