• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Completely new to CB, lots of questions

WW2dude

Jul 12, 2005
Paradise, California
As the title says, I know absolutely nothing about CB radios and antennas.

Can someone recommend brands or products(and where to get them) for vehicles that aren't expensive, but aren't complete junk? I'm also trying to go for looks with functionality, the looks being the antenna mostly. Would the antenna on this page(3rd down, "Hustler") work well?

Also, about the radio, size isn't really an issue.

What are you going to use it for local talking,dx talking?Do you want a lot of channels or would you be happy with just your basic radio?Cobra 25 is a well built 40 channel radio been around forever,less than a $100.00(basic)Connex 3300 hp lot of power,channels and looks great,$200.00(mid level)Galaxy 95T.great looks,enough power talk when you want to and more channels and toys then you would ever use.(400.00+)As far as where to buy,you can check out hyelectronics.com(cheapest i have found),copper.com and on and on........These r just a few of the radios that i would buy for myself and im sure that most people on this forum have something different to add.Yes that steel whip would be fine on just about any car or truck you would want to use it on.Good luck and welcome to the fine world of the cb radio hobbie!

Was in your spot about a year ago. not even that. What you would pry want is a Cobra 29 LTD classic. (there cheaper now than what they were.) And i would go with a 102 whip. Think thats what im gonna get on the truck. But when you have conditions all you have to do is key the mic and you MIGHT be heard. Depends on what channel your on. If you want just a simple set up go with that. Im not sure if your running power of not but you will want to soon. :D I dont know how much power the 102 can hold. Someone will pry tell you that. But when you get the money you should get a k10 antenna. heard it works great and i think it looks good to. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum. CDX197

cb brands

i f u want a good antenna that put out good and looks low key the wilsion 5000 is your best bet they go fro around $80 . A good starter radio i would recomend a galaxy dx 99v. It so a good radio tha tu hav eeverything u will nee dto talk am or ssb grea tfo rlocal or dx also this radio is good if u wanna get a amp later on this radio would work really good :D

Thanks!

I don't know what "DX" talking is, so I don't know if I want it. I just want something that works well enough to send/receive and doesn't look like an abomination.

What would I have to buy to go from nothing to a fully working system? And I keep seeing people talking about alignment, what's that for?

recomend

nah i agreee with u :LOL:

i just recomned something tha tis more versitile . Iknow guy who got a cobra 25 or 29 an dgot bored after 3months. The 99v is a goo dbeginer radio for the newbe who want to dx or talk local

Straight from the battery? Not a problem. This is going in a 67 Ford Econoline, so the battery is right behind the driver seat.

On this one site, there's a bunch of options with the radios.

Options.jpg

The external speaker and mic are self explanatory, but what are the others?

If you want to get started in the radio hobbie with something simple yet that will be able to get out when you need to then go with a connex hp!You will not find a better radio for the money that is as well built,has as much power or as simple to use.Sure there are other radios out there(that cost a hell of a lot more ) that have more channels,usb,lsb,freq display,roger beep stuff that right now you have absolutely no use for.For the money and the performance of a connex 3300 hp you just cant beat it!Now in time after you have gotten use to using your radio then you can add a amp to help you talk to people in other states if thats what you want.If you dont mind a long steel whip sticking up and sometimes hitting low tree limbs or drive thru's then there is NO REASON to go out and buy another antenna!The steel whip is the best antenna you can buy,its what all of the other antennas are mesured against.The reason you see so many other antennas out there is because they are all trying to get the same performance out of shorter anttena because most people dont like running an antenna that tall.I have used one for the last 10 years on all of my setups and would not have anyother antenna.on the other hand if you are willing to spend around $360.00 to $400.00 then go with a Galaxy 48T.They have a few extra knobs and switches but nothing that a person that is new to this could not figure out in a days time.That radio would be something that you would not likly get tired of anytime soon,and yes you would need to run the power wire to the batter for best performance.There are many other ways to go but they all involve more money then you need to or may want to spend.

I am also a newbie. I just baught a cobra 29 nightwatch, and a 102" ss whip antenna. As I've been learning more, I think I am gonna want to get into the "DX" scene a bit. But I'll have to wait until I have enough money to upgrade to a cb radio with ssb. Thats ok, when I do get one with ssb, I'll just give my current radio to my brother. Whats could be the range on a cobra 29????

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.