• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Completely new to CB, lots of questions

Wow lot to be said here but I see you have a good antenna in mind! The 102 is one of the best mobile antennas there is but its huge so you do got to watch what you hit or try not to hit. Also you want to check your SWR even though the 102 does not need tuned it help to see if everything is working in the system. You can do this by useing an SWR meter or if the radio you are geting has one built in that will work to. good luck!

WW2dude. I would just go buy a radio shack meter when you go into radio shack to get your whip. if they have it. The fat ladies that work here are all bossy. "If you see it on the website it should be here go find it yourself" But i also seen a while back i think Jessejames posted it. Its a thing that when you come under a bridge or something like that you can lower your antenna. It just bends it back so you wont hit it. Might be something to look into. CDX197

Same here. they are joined to another "STORE". Try calling them the other store answeres and makes me wait like 5 min so they can get the right people. I have called them atleast 5 times before for the same thing and i always get told another story. Said they shoould be there soon. "O we dont carry them anymore" "is it on the website cause if its not we dont have it" They could really piss someone off i know that.

K just called them again. Same thing. But this lady didnt know what a whip antenna was. I told her its really skinny and tall. :twisted: she said they had coax (in her works a cord) and asked me if that was a antenna. :roll: Then she said they have two antennas but she thought they were only for cars. So i have to call again in about a hour and order one personally. Pry mess up my order. Anyone know how long it would take? I would like to get it right before i get my truck so i have everything ready to put on.

Im glad the people who work at our radio shack are not idiots or fat ladies! :LOL: Anyway I had no idea the 102 did not need tuned untill a friend recently bout one. I was shocked but it worked good! And the problem with SWR meters in radios is there not always acurate but as long as the reading is close you will be fine. Good luck!

they can be one of two types the are lug type or pl259 you may be able to get a lug to fit on a pl259 type but not the other way around a 102'' may still need to be tuned if you have a swr of 3 or more you more then likly have a short in the mount or coax you may still have to shorthen it if you say have a 2 or more they you may want to trim some off or move it to a higer point i have a ball mmount and a 102'' from rat shack mounted dead center on my roof of a 1994 jeep cherokee i have a 14 or so foot of coax running fro radioe to ant and have a near perfect match ans as far as the meter on the radioe they are not the best but they well give you a idea if you have a bad short or just something wrong .

sorry about the grammer and i hope this help some my email is tmccuin@hot.rr.com if i can be more help don't hesita to ask redneck6 out-----------------

Hey there..

there are many radios to consider..
since you are new to this ..
i suggest a good basic sideband radio such as the cobra 148

if you are willing then i would go with say a ranger RCI-2970DX
if money is not a issue then go with Icom 706MKIIG..

the 102 inch whip is a great antenna (cant go wrong with it)
otherise i would recomend say a I-10 predetor..

skip and DX are simply terms that mean..
when certian conditions exist..
instead of a 10-25 mile range...
your talking range can be anywhere thoughout the country or the world..
another earlier called skip as what happens on am and dx on sideband but skip and dx is basiclly the same thing..

except that skip is what happens when you talk great distance regardless of am or sideband talking..
but dx is typiclly someone who activly seeks out skip and usally does so on sideband (DUE TO IT BEING MUCH EASIER THEN AM SKIP...usally)

Later

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.