• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Completely new to CB, lots of questions

I can agree with you on the 29 there 197 , 102 incher might be a little bit more work then the dude is looking for ? A reliable Wilson 1000/5000 Magmount would do for ease.(really don't have to worry about SWRs to much with those) If you ain't some big strapp'in power pump'in dude , I think the Wilson will do (not that you can't pump those antenna's pretty well ,because you can) and there low profile and look nice. Radio ...Hmmm ? ....CB ? OK 29 will do or even a nicely tuned 25 LTD will get the job done , I personally like the older ones myself. (-: Care for a little SSB ? Galaxy 949/959 a good tune up and your looking at just under 2 hundred on those. Good luck to you on what ever you get. I've never really spent to much over the years on my CB experiance ,used has always worked for me (tends to be a bit cheaper that way) you might even conceder looking on Ebay for a Grant XL/LT AM/SSB radio ...Just a fine CB radio !! if your interested in both AM/SSB ,just an all around good cb radio. (-: When your a AM Cb Bozo like myself ....life is surely easy , just a ass kick'in tuned up / down older Cobra 25 LTD (fully loaded) /Wilson 5000 drill through/RK-56/and about 400 on the side / I can surely be annoying. (-: Good Luck

WW2dude said:
I want that giant 102" whip for looks, mostly. I've also noticed that Galaxy radios are considerably more expensive. Is that because they're of higher quality?
That is until you get annoyed from avoiding drive-thru windows, low hanging branches or signs, etc. That banging will remind you of that antenna. Hitting it on something while driving at a good clip will kink it or at the very least lose the static tip on its end.

102" whip

I to have considered the whip antenna. You don't have to let the antenna bang around, all you need is a gutter mount clip that will except the tip of the antenna. all you do is bend it over when your driving. When you want to talk reach out and unclip the tip and up goes your antenna. also, with the whip antenna you will want to get a spring mount for it.

I wasnt referring to price range, as I just baught the cobra 29 off of ebay for 90 bucks, and I plan on grabbing a 102" whip once the cb arrives. I am somewhat confused about DXing. The person I baught the cb radio said he was "skipping" all the way down to florida, at night on channel 34, and he told me to turn to that channel at night, and try and listen for the "gang" from florida. What kind of range - like how far will I be able to hear/transmit to, on a regular basis? I was also under the assumption that you needed ssb to "DX". But some people I talk to say AM works, just you have a better chance of being able to dx with ssb channels. Like I said, im a newbie too, just trying to learn.

Re: 102" whip

RI126 said:
I to have considered the whip antenna. You don't have to let the antenna bang around, all you need is a gutter mount clip that will except the tip of the antenna. all you do is bend it over when your driving. When you want to talk reach out and unclip the tip and up goes your antenna. also, with the whip antenna you will want to get a spring mount for it.
Look at my above post, I have a 2" ball mount and a spring picked out.

There is actually a gutter clip left over from a previous owners antenna(including a mount). It's too small for where I'll need it, though.

the difference between "skip" and DX is that skipping is done on AM and usually involves some power, like an amplifier. DXing is done on Side Band and with low power usually what ever the radio produces, between 4-30 watts. there are radios such as your Cobra that have 40 channels and only broadcast on AM frequencies. Other radios have other bands like upper and lower sideband. what they do is take the frequency and split it into 3 ranges upper band,lower band and normal(AM) band. Hope this helps some.

you will need around 18' of coax with a PL-259 connecter on both ends. 1 end to the radio and 1 to the connecter on the bottom of the ball mount. You will also need a ground from the base of the ball mount a ground on the vehicle. if this mount was put there by the previous owner, check the mount and make sure the is a ground attached.

maybe a little help won't hurt

ok if you use a a ball mount there are two types one use lug cont other uses pl259 type if you mount the ball correct you should be grounded t the body all ready

What kind of range - like how far will I be able to hear/transmit to, on a regular basis
It really depends or conditions. One min. you wont hear anything them all the sudden there are people talking from texas and so on. I have been getting a lot of short skip with Kansas and Colorado. But when you get use to it it will come natural to you. [/code]

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.