• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CRE 8900 SSB - don't know if anyone had posted this yet

CRE 8900 version - first pics below. Radio is small, really small. As most of you have seen already it's design/functions are similar to the Alpha Max/CRT larger models that were sold in the U.S. but this radio's size is pretty crazy. Haven't got much beyond powering it on and messing with the function. Will try some DX tomorrow. Out of the box radio was easily hitting over 30 on AM and over 25 SSB. Will have more time later this week to complete a video overview and give more details on output and hopefully can get some good on the air recordings. I have the software/cable as well so we should be able to give all the details in a video on this one. I'll also scan in the manual for you guys.

CRE%208900%2010%20Meter%20Radio%20%281%29.JPG

CRE%208900%2010%20Meter%20Radio%20%285%29.JPG

CRE%208900%2010%20Meter%20Radio%20%286%29.JPG

CRE%208900%2010%20Meter%20Radio%20%287%29.JPG

CRE%208900%2010%20Meter%20Radio%20%288%29.JPG

CRE%208900%2010%20Meter%20Radio%20%289%29.JPG

I would really be interested in how the recieve rejects other channels, I have had the RF Rain Alpha and am using the CRT SS6900 now, yes the 6900 is a much better operating radio compaired to the RF Rain Alpha but both of them have or had bad adjecient channel rejection, I have an issue with warehousing close to me, guys in trucks waiting to load and unload all times of the day or night. Of course most of them run some kind of power and in doing so really gets in the recieve of any of the programmable radios that I have had. Really that is the only issue I have with the 6900, other than that it really is a great radio but my new Yenticom Optima doesn't have that problem or the Magnum S9 that I use as my base radio most of the time.

Does the clarifier function act the same as the others in that it remembers how far off you were when you changed channels and comes back to the remembered frequency. That got to bothering me after a while....

Funny you mention that, one of my peeves is that the clairfier knob is not straight up when on center slot, that just bugs me, a little one way or the other is fine but on my Alpha and SS6900 they were always at like 3 or 9 oclock, just bugs me

It looks like it will fit a DIN opening. I was watching your video when your BIG hand came in front and covered the radio up.

I like the faceplate, do the controls feel tight and smooth?

Waiting for further info...

Controls so far do feel very nice - of course I've only had 10 minutes of use :) The size is pretty crazy, I'll put it next to some other radios tonight and will take some pics, you guys will get a kick of out seeing the comparison.

Got to test it out for a 10 mins this morning. Strong numbers on SSB, made multiple barefoot contacts with the Imax 2000. Good reports back. Hopefully over the weekend I can finish the full video and spend some time really testing it out.

CRE 8900 10 Meter AM FM SSB CW Export Preview - YouTube

When you do your review can you try to do an adjacent channel rejection test compaired to say your 2950DX or any other good radio you have in the shack, Thanks

Specs and actual are a big difference sometimes, that's why I asked, my Alpha 10 Max 1000 was horrible, the CRT SS6900 is better but no where close to the Yenticom Optima or the Magnum S-9

actually the warehouse is 1/4 mile from my home air miles and the truckers in that lot talk on either 38 or 39 AM just wipes out my receive if their using power. I use to give them a hard time trying to get them to AM channels but just decided to deal with it. How can I argue with non english speaking truckers other than to go there and give them a hard time. ;)

Trucker - them guys use to come through my area also, running AM on 38, but they don't do it more, I just wouldn't give up! They have now moved down to the lower channels.

As far as the 8900 goes - if it can work as good as the 2950dx might be something to look at - if there is a 2 yr warranty that is.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.