• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dx today

Well I was impressed.....the contesters I met this Friday nite and Saturday morning were nothing short of amazing! Anyone that can rack up the stations like some of guys needs a trophy!! I planned to work a few hours to see if contesting is something I would like......it is. Not only to fine tune the operating skills, it just fun to see the points add up and country list start climbing. Also many rare Dx stations work the bands during these larger contests.....I've never heard as many stations from Japan.....do they all speak English? Do Russian and European schools require English....they must!
I can barely think "CQ contest,CQ contest, AA5AAA, QRZ QRZ" as fast as these guys can say it....then in the heat of the QRM get the returning called logged first round, give a signal report/call zone and start again.... shows focus and keen operating. I operated portable with a 5/8 wave vertical at about six feet high, mast in the mud. Made many 5 watt QRP contacts during the Friday and early evening. I worked many at 5 watts but a station from China stopped that! I turned up to 100 watts From that point forward so my entry will be as low power, not QRP.
Anyway the fun started about sundown here and 10 was open to the world. I had planned to work only 10 meters but as the conditions slowed I tuned 15 mtrs it was wide open then.....later lowered to 20 mtrs and the world was there as well. I'm ended up working 10-15-20 and 40(few) on a 10 meter vertical. Worked Japan, Estonia,Russia and Germany on 4 bands....could have worked more but I had to get some beauty sleep!! Out. Of 24 hrs I tuned about 12 minus sleep, food, pit stops and phone calls.
6 new ones for me ...Qatar, Kaliningrad, Turkmenistan, Aland Island, China
Logged 71 countries, call zones contacted EU 135, SA 36, NA 32, AS 24, OC 7, AF 5. Looking back at the lost time, not knowing anything about the process, lack of preparation and antennas I think a guy might double these numbers easily ....and have fun doing it! Hope you get some new ones 73 and good Dx

Last couple days the ones I logged all QRP.....I'm really getting into the mode?
Work the Russian station tonite QRP....recalled him a few minute later with 70-100 watts....signal only went up s5 to s6...1 unit made not difference to him! Really good contact we the Cyprus contact was a QRP to QRP this morning. Listened tonite to a Philippine station and several Australian/New Zealand and multiple Japan ops. Few European station heard today
UA0LLF 10m 28.525 SSB Stanislav E. Myslivets asiatic Russia
9W6ZIM 10m 28.485 SSB Mohammed Faiq Fadhlullah Asli 5B4AHN 10m 28.505 SSB
KJ7QT 10m 28.505 SSB JAMES D MITCHELL
JE1LET 10m 28.555 SSB MASAHIKO
ON4UN 10m 28.467 SSB JOHN DEVOLDERE
KG7FCD 10m 28.515 SSB
NO6Z 10m 28.515 SSB John L Higgins
TI2ERS 10m 28.515 SSB ERIK ROY
VA3ES 10m 28.515 SSB Edward Sieb
W1DQD 10m 28.515 SSB PHILIP I THOMBS
VE7FLS 10m 28.515 SSB Brian Hetherington
VA3MPM 10m 28.515 SSB Michael Myers
K7HLN 10m 28.515 SSB ROBERT L SOLOMON
VE3OJN 10m 28.515 SSB Melvin J Massia
KC7H 10m 28.515 SSB Bruce A Fortune
VA3RDC 10m 28.515 SSB Darrell Raymond Cooper
VE3IKV 10m 28.515 SSB Peter Helmuth Csanky
PU2NZA 10m 28.515 SSB

That's one hell-of-a treasure trove on QRP. Nicely done, Ghutch. (y)

Sounds like you had a great time contesting Ghutch!

I took Friday off and hung around 10m before the contest, many operators were fine tuning their radios.

Got bunch new ones on 10m for that reason.
SW5CC Dodecanese
OD5ZZ Lebanon
Z68BH Rep of Kosovo
5R8UI Madagascar
5B/YO3JR Cyprus
A65BP United Arab Emirates
FR/DJ7RJ Reunion Island

Then got couple new ones on 11m this weekend:
205SD100 Paulo 2/2 5pm
302SD200 Slava Sakhalin Island 7pm - 4/4
302SD505 Vlad Yekaterinburg 8am - great signal 5/9

Heard 266div 2/2 last night, only for a minute - missed.

Philip

Last night 10m was open again:
JW9JKA Svalbard
ZD7DC Saint Helena
UA0FO Asiatic Russia Sakhalin Island
HL5FUA South Korea
ZL2WL New Zealand
JR4VDV Japan
JJ1RDX Japan

Heard Philippines on 10m sig 5/7 - but couldn't break the pileup. Big sig for Ohio.
Thought band was closed when first checked, very quiet throughout the band.

On 11m heard 20, 56, and 108 - late 7pm.

Philip

It's 700 PM CST as I type, just returned from Victoria Tx driving to Corpus 10 and 12 are both open. Worked a JA on 12 then went into SWLing on 10, couple of Indonesia stations...pile ups were embarrassing ? 10-15 seconds of screaming? The station was 5-7 to 5/9 here I'm sure he could have been worked QRP but the pileup was a horror sounded like channel 6 am
Indonesia Borneo Australia Japan and still hearing New York ?? South America is also strong......Europe and England was on until about 300 pm cst

I did work the Battleship Iowa ...... That was cool:)

Great conditions this weekend on 10m, got couple new ones

on 10m:
A61ZX United Arab Emirates Sig:5/7 2x
A92IO Bahrain Sig:5/5
VU2DSI India Sig: 5/4
A45XR Oman Sig:4/4
TA1BX European Turkey Sig:5/7
TJ3AY Cameroon Sig:5/4
4Z4DX Israel Sig:5/4
on 20m:
KC4AAA Loc:Antarctica Sig:5/7

Philip

Philpoh so good ones.....I was able to work the Israel station, listened for the Antarctic no signal!, heard turkey but the pileup was horrible.
In fact I heard a couple pileups this weekend that were embarrassing, DX code of Conduct....was out the window :oops: tuned a morocco station with a hundred folk pileup...the calls went on like he was from the moon. A good dx contact but not inter stellar

Agree most pileups are horrendous, one example I heard guy in Africa was calling for North America only - he was getting so much Europe that was not listening to his instructions - he gave up and went qrt!
The Easter and Ascension Island pileups are huge - on now.
Love the guys that go by numbers, seems to give a better chance.

On 11m last night heard 79bw015 but could not contact - sig 2/2.
Did talk to 302sd202 Stan from Vladivostok sig 4/4, also very big signal from 133lr/oc086 5/7 last night into Ohio.

On 10m heard East Malaysia nice signal 5/6 but could not break the pile up, also Vanuatu Island, Philippines. Got to be first in line!

Philip

China was on 12 Mtrs tonite! Bx5aa workable but could not get thru....working QRP has it disadvantages. I got on Frequency early but as the time went on the pile up got larger and more out of control. I'll get him if condition stay in the next few days.
Multiple JA's on this afternoon, Alaska later a few New Zealand callers.

10M has been quiet for the past week, 20m not as much.

On 11m finally got 130 SD DX Lance last night for a 10min Qso, great signal 4/5 to Ohio. Been listening for past 2 weeks for 130 division. Great operator!

Philip

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.