• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

let the skip begin on 11 meters

Skip HAS been running well the last few days. Using my 949 with recent purchase of the ts350 made contacts in N. England,Montana,Cali, & a couple others. 345/doc in this 18 wheels of steel

Made two contacts with Tennessee and Missouri all the while dodging the heavy hitters. Got my quota. :D

Anyone else getting good skip results?

Galaxy DX-959
Astatic Road Devil
A-99 w/Firestik FS99 top section & modified ground plane utilizing 4 R/S SS whips.

Last edited:
In the last month just about every time the US has openings to Barbados on these bands, I've noticed something interesting. I'm in New England so Barbados comes in when the Yagi is pointed around 153 degrees. Conditions into Barbados seem to extend hours after all stateside DX contacts have ceased. Yet when I point at 153 degrees I can hear all the stations talking to Barbados that are coming out of every state from Texas to California. Texas and California range from 250 to 290 degrees from me and none of them could be heard when pointed directly at their states.

Yet when I point towards 153 with the side of the beam on them, they pop up in the receiver like jack in the box. Although the audio quality is suffering from the worst cases of selective fade I've ever heard. I've found that I can also reach those stations but only when pointed towards 153 and my audio to them is just as crappy. Obviously this is some type of back scatter propagation but I'm confused. I thought back scatter occurred along the same path in which the signal was sent but just gets reflected back in reverse?

This propagation appeared to give anyone with the ability to reach stations in Barbados the exact same conditions the locals there were experiencing at the time. Almost as though the island were acting like a big repeater or transponder sending the received signals back out in all directions. These signals are easily identifiable by the relentless selective fade I mentioned and they were all about half the strength of any of the stations that were transmitting directly from the island but still well above the noise level and a 95% copy through the fade.

Conditions have been weird here as well. Morning and late at night seem to be the best times for 11m ssb. I made a bunch of contacts tonight from NC, TN, KY, and everywhere up to Wisconsin. Also spoke with Texas and Louisiana as well. Couple nights ago it was Australia coming in. All late at night, right around midnight and after. Morning time here is another story. Will see what tomorrow or this morning brings I should say.

Spoke with NY714 this morning, great qso!! Conditions are already picking up at 6:00am. From Florida up to New York and everywhere in between.

Conditions were great there for a bit. Shockwave I hope I sound as good as you did, clean and mean. Same for ny714, great speaking with both of you this morning, guess I have the megawatt 4000 dialed in okay. That and Mother Nature lent a nice hand this morning!! Anyway just want to say thanks for the contact and hopefully will do it again. God bless.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.