• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Grant 2........?

Excerpt from an email from Knights on my test purchase.
"Unfortunately the Grant II is a European radio and is now(not?)available for sale to USA".

M42duster,we all might take up a collection and send you for a European vacation. :D

Last edited:
Talk about double standards. They have absolutely no problem at all selling illegal rigs and linears to anyone who walks through the door but they won't ship a radio to the USA because its not legal.

I am so outraged I almost feel like driving there, standing in the store and pointing to all the illegal 11m sidebanders they have, pointing to each one and going in my loudest voice "illegal to sell that, illegal to sell that, illegal to sell that."

Talk about double standards. They have absolutely no problem at all selling illegal rigs and linears to anyone who walks through the door but they won't ship a radio to the USA because its not legal.

I am so outraged I almost feel like driving there, standing in the store and pointing to all the illegal 11m sidebanders they have, pointing to each one and going in my loudest voice "illegal to sell that, illegal to sell that, illegal to sell that."

You got a point there. An purchase over the web is documented evidence if the authorities ever want to prosecute someone. I imagine thousands of readers of the this forum plus untold others contacting these two shops. All of the world's attention is on them at this point of time and their livelihood is at stake. Maybe some time down the road these radios can be had in a less threatening environment.

Connor , Whilst I understand what your saying.
I'm sure they have a decent reason for what they have said.
You know as well as I do, no 10 meter radio or splatter box solid state linear is illegal to sell in the UK to anybody with or without an Amateur ticket.
That's the law, we all know where they are intended , but the fact is if you get caught on CB/11 Meters running them , that is when an offence is comitted.**Jump_im**
Not that Ofcom are bothered at all, as you know they are legalising AM and SSB on the midband anyway (but with type approved kit like the Grant II ASC only).
So no dealer in the UK are doing anything dodgy selling sideband kit or burners in a shop.

You know as well as I do, no 10 meter radio or splatter box solid state linear is illegal to sell in the UK to anybody with or without an Amateur ticket.

No I don't because I know the legal requirements for selling electrical and electronic gear no matter what it is.

First thing is meeting CE certification. Second is meeting the regulatory requirements for that equipment, both in additional certification, performance and statutory labelling. So for 11m equipment such as Ham International Multimode II or a NATO 2000 etc it is illegal for them to sell those as they are neither CE marked or certified with the legally required 27/81 markings required for 11m gear at the time they were sold new.

All of those regulations apply regardless of whether you're selling to a CBer or a licensed amateur. The only exceptions are kits, that is why all these freebanding radios such as Anytone 5555s are advertised and sold as amateur radio gear. If they truly weren't doing anything dodgy then why do they take great care to make sure they're advertised as amateur radio sets?

No I don't because I know the legal requirements for selling electrical and electronic gear no matter what it is.

First thing is meeting CE certification. Second is meeting the regulatory requirements for that equipment, both in additional certification, performance and statutory labelling. So for 11m equipment such as Ham International Multimode II or a NATO 2000 etc it is illegal for them to sell those as they are neither CE marked or certified with the legally required 27/81 markings required for 11m gear at the time they were sold new.

All of those regulations apply regardless of whether you're selling to a CBer or a licensed amateur. The only exceptions are kits, that is why all these freebanding radios such as Anytone 5555s are advertised and sold as amateur radio gear. If they truly weren't doing anything dodgy then why do they take great care to make sure they're advertised as amateur radio sets?

How often do you visit the shop ??.
Well I do regularly ( and have done for 30 years) and have never seen anything other than 10 meter gear , they won't even repair the radios you mentioned, let alone sell them.
You know as I do why dealers sell the AT5555 as Amateur gear, to use a loop hole........everyone and their dog knows where these radios are intended as I have never heard anyone on 10 meters using echo or the bleep facility.
Anyway this is going way off topic and I hear they have sold out of the ones they had within a day!, as other dealers have in the UK.

I'm sure our American Friends will get some soon , some how.

I think that if the FCC would revise the regulations concerning 11 meters,say,bump the max allowable wattage for radios to 100 watts,legalize clean 500-1500 watts for linear amplifiers with proper filtering and make it to where a license to operate on 11 meters with stipulations like no potty mouthing,noise toys used sparingly as a roger beep/key up,using registered call signs,must send a copy of a yearly radio tune and alignment and signed by FCC recognized techs to the FCC to be able to transmit on 11 meters. Have designated volunteer cb base operators to rat on those who aren't playing by the rules. Being able to count to ten,be able to recite the pledge of alliegience,have some ham like rules. Etc,etcetera,etc

:headbang There are plenty of other places to run legal power. We dom't need no stinking Badges! LOL

I was just thinking about how to reign in 11 meters a bit to where CB'ers will start acting like adults. :p

I know what you mean. And agree. The locals in the area all have some kind of box and for the most part don't use the talking local. Some times if the skip comes in during the evening on go the boxes and head bumping. everybody talking at the same time to skip.

One of then is Knights Electrocom and the other us nocando(no can do)
I sent Knights a Ebay em asking if they'll ship to the USA
Knights replied that it ships to the UK only. This radio would not be legal in USA.

Last edited:
Have you've had a chance yet to check up on the radio's state of tune/modulation?
I think we in the states are used to buying radios that need to be tweaked in order to operate at peak effeciently.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.