• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Reputable CB Shops/Techs

It looks like it's over, one way or the other, Steve Kerns sent me a pic of a postal receipt, WITH a tracking #, it's suppose to be my radio, I won't know what condition it's in till it arrives in a couple days. Look, I'm out a good chunk of change! I got his name HERE, I respectfully ask that his name be pulled from the list. I don't think he's a bad tech as much as I just plain don't trust him!

Oh, The postal receipt was time stamped 9:05pm SUNDAY, in Springfield, Mo! MY post office is not open Sunday night....ever seen that before? I know y'all know what they look like I just found this to be odd

Oh, The postal receipt was time stamped 9:05pm SUNDAY, in Springfield, Mo! MY post office is not open Sunday night....ever seen that before? I know y'all know what they look like I just found this to be odd
The post offices are here have kiosks that you can buy shipping labels from after hours. So it is possible.

Check the tracking wouldn't be one way to know.

Reactions: 575nightrider
I stopped using the self-service kiosks after watching the tracking sequence. Turns out stuff would arrive at the customer a day earlier, sometimes two when I handed them over the counter. The kiosk packages don't really get into the system until the bin gets emptied. Usually at the end of the business day after the last truck has left for the local sorting center.

Likewise, you're not supposed to use the self-service for a package over 13 ounces, right? Looks like maybe that rule isn't so strict.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Interesting turn of events hopefully you'll get your radio and be back to square one - $240.
I didn't know they had self-help kiosk around in the post offices.
I have sent plenty of smaller things just using pirate ship or something like that. Of course you make your label up in it shows a pre-shipment. I've had people or businesses create a label and then wait several days before ever sending. I guess that way it's in the books for being sent.

Dang, I hope after all this time your radio was actually fixed.

If someone described a problem to me and I felt confident enough to tell them to ship it to me, the moment I knew I was out of my depth I would immediately contact the owner, ask for a week to investigate, and give the option to have it returned right away so they could send it to someone else and refund their shipping to me. There's no need for months to decide on this. To tell someone a radio "has bugs" after nearly two months means one of two things. He can't go stage by stage and has no idea where to start looking, or, he smokes so much pot that he cannot commit to the project lol. Anyone willing to steal your money and time has the potential to steal your radio too.

Dang, I hope after all this time your radio was actually fixed.

If someone described a problem to me and I felt confident enough to tell them to ship it to me, the moment I knew I was out of my depth I would immediately contact the owner, ask for a week to investigate, and give the option to have it returned right away so they could send it to someone else and refund their shipping to me. There's no need for months to decide on this. To tell someone a radio "has bugs" after nearly two months means one of two things. He can't go stage by stage and has no idea where to start looking, or, he smokes so much pot that he cannot commit to the project lol. Anyone willing to steal your money and time has the potential to steal your radio too.
You Sir, hit the nail on the head! He's been accused of keeping and selling "un-fixable" radios. I know I don't trust him. I just hope It's still fixable. I need a real tech lol, got any ideas??

I don't personally know any shops that do radio work, all my broken ones accumulated in the shed in hopes I would one day figure them out. The one person here I wanted to recommend has already been recommended.

Reactions: 575nightrider
I just hope It's still fixable. I need a real tech lol, got any ideas??
Even if you do get the old radio back in one piece (and the so called tech hasn't screwed it up further), it would probably be cheaper just to buy a new radio at this point. There's the shipping cost to get the radio to another tech (if you can find one), then the cost to ship it back, plus whatever the parts and labor are to fix it. You may well end up finding the next tech can't fix it either, and then you're out even more $$ and still won't have a working radio. And not to dis your radio, but Galaxy stuff is highly over-rated for what it is.

A new Anytone 6666 can be had for a little over two bills and works perfectly right out of the box.
Might be the better option at this point........likely cheaper than getting the Galaxy going again.

Even if you do get the old radio back in one piece (and the so called tech hasn't screwed it up further), it would probably be cheaper just to buy a new radio at this point. There's the shipping cost to get the radio to another tech (if you can find one), then the cost to ship it back, plus whatever the parts and labor are to fix it. You may well end up finding the next tech can't fix it either, and then you're out even more $$ and still won't have a working radio. And not to dis your radio, but Galaxy stuff is highly over-rated for what it is.

A new Anytone 6666 can be had for a little over two bills and works perfectly right out of the box.
Might be the better option at this point........likely cheaper than getting the Galaxy going again.
Lol I know what you're saying but believe it or not this is the best SSB radio I've ever had! It's like a fluke lol but it's not my nature to hang on to anything that don't cut it. It's got the best Clarifier of any I've had right out of the box! It's really too bad IF it's gone. It lasted like 18 yrs. I want to buy one through a Tech and get it tuned up and lower dead key. The search is on....Thanks to all of y'all!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Lol I know what you're saying but believe it or not this is the best SSB radio I've ever had! It's like a fluke lol but it's not my nature to hang on to anything that don't cut it. It's got the best Clarifier of any I've had right out of the box! It's really too bad IF it's gone. It lasted like 18 yrs. I want to buy one through a Tech and get it tuned up and lower dead key. The search is on....Thanks to all of y'all!
I'm willing to bet that it's repairable, but depending on how big the task is as to what kind of coin it will be. Let's just hope that it'll show up in not too bad of shape.

I'm willing to bet that it's repairable, but depending on how big the task is as to what kind of coin it will be. Let's just hope that it'll show up in not too bad of shape.
Well it's here, looks good too! But sadly it's just a receiver, Meter shows 20 watts but transmit light don't show when you key. Not getting any replies for a radio check! He replaced the pill he said with a new one I'm gonna look at it and see. And I too am willing to bet its repairable. I'm glad it's here after 50-something days lol time to move on!

Well it's here, looks good too! But sadly it's just a receiver, Meter shows 20 watts but transmit light don't show when you key. Not getting any replies for a radio check! He replaced the pill he said with a new one I'm gonna look at it and see. And I too am willing to bet its repairable. I'm glad it's here after 50-something days lol time to move on!
That's great news, I'm sorry you lost a chunk of coin in the process though.
Really though, there are some good techs out there that can get that radio going.

Seems the guy you sent it to was just a guessing parts swapper.

That's great news, if you pop the covers and take some pictures, someone here might be able to spot something out of place or wrong from the last repair attempt. Who knows, it might be something simple? Maybe not, but you never know.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.