• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

West Coast/California DX contacts today . . .

I took this morning off and slept in for a needed change.
After getting up at 6AM over the last 3 1/2 weeks, I needed the break.

QUOTE]

If I got up @ 6 am that would be sleeping in ! my internal clock been gettin me up between 3-4 everyday :headbang

And NICE contact into russia on the 10 meter band Robb I read where you posted that

29unit27 Tom 5/7 Ireland

29B117 Gordon 5/9 Ireland

163AT116 Beth 5/9 Wales

1AT760 Mauro 5/7 Italy

29MR121 Michael 5/9 Ireland

26KP644 Bob 5/7 England

26DX303 Eric 5/8 England

This is the tally so far today.
Sent 29B117 Gordon a QSL card.
1AT760 Mauro is sending me a QSL card.
If I get some contacts in the Pacific this evening, I will post them as well.

10m was doing all right today again.
Poland, Czech Republic, Croatia, Serbia, Portugal, Spain and many others.
It wasn't as crazy as it was last Friday/contest, but still quite solid - IMO . . .

Last edited:
QSL Cards

Ok here s a first of few coming in....

Attachments

• Picture001-1.jpg
    Picture001-1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 225
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 234
Well was out in the Mobile again to the bank and got one contact it was our Ol' friend 19SD348 just booming as always FINE sounding station Henry has... my last over to him was a 5x8.. Then he got his afternoon made by talking to 33ET101 I was on side listening as I made my way back to work.. By the time I drove the 15 miles and turned a few corners it was all done...

Hi M8!

Im starting to recognize your voice lol...
Im not that active as i would like as im mostly building antennas in the time i have.

That day i had a 3el F-yagi up with only 5.5 feet boomlength for a costumer here in Holland.
The antenna was only 24 feet up in the air.

Though I have to say: if i am active, (half an hour every couple of days...) you (wd40)seem to make the trip really well from your mobile setup :)

It is always great to hear all those west coast guys comming back it has been years since we had this kind of propagation.
So heck no..im not saying it is the antenna lol..it is prop of course...though the antenna migth help a bit.

The contact with 33et101 was a really big suprise that must have been at least 8 years since i worked alaska, that was with a couple 6 elements at 80 feet..it is rather difficult for us "mainland Europeans".

It was fun though, quickly asked if any of the guys who were lisning with me could here him...luckly one of the guys could. So his day was made also.

And then all hell brake loose...he was already spotted on cluster...so i left the frequency....there were so many guys just calling for larry guys who didnt hear him but just called....

Anyway...this forum has estahblished one thing...
There are quite a few new "m8" 178,011,171,2000 etc for witch i am gratefull.

Ill be lisning for you guys.

Kind regards,

Henry 19SD348
HPSD index
All about antennas

26DP015 Dennis 5/9 England
13DC001 Manuel 5/9 Germany
26ET010 Paul 5/9 England
26DA100 Dan 5/9 England
1AT746 (qrm) 5/5 Italy
35SD1012 Chris 5/5 Austria
14MB015 Jean 5/9 France
68AT112 Joe 5/5 N.Ireland
1GI108 Doriano 5/5 Italy
14AT269 Frank 5/9 France
26SD105 Norman 5/6 England
26SD046 Phillip 5/7 England
29LL105 Mike 5/5 Ireland
29B117 Gordon 5/5 Ireland

I also got Barbados, Japan, Martinique, Australia, and a few others that I just didn't write down from the day before. As well as a few European counties. Didn't do too much DXing yesterday, as I was busy with something else.

I got accepted into the Sugar Delta DX Group, so I had to jump through a series of hoops to complete that process. I now use the call of "2SD103" on international calls and continue to use the WR-11 call for local and US stations. I made enough confirmed calls to make the grade to get in that club. I was originally considering the Alfa Tango Group. But I really wanted to try out for Sugar Delta. That worked out. Now that the solar cycle has kicked in earnest, there were a few offers from a few different groups too. Alfa Tango and Oscar Delta sought me out. If you have an account and provide an email address on Qrz11.net AND have been noticed enough on cluster.dk; then there is a fair chance they will ask you to join. Expect an email or three. Just so long as you have enough confirmed calls. But the other truth involved here is that these clubs are actively seeking members at a critical point in the cycle. So long as you can prove your contacts and can shell out $25 via Paypal, you can do it as well.

Think this would be an opportune time for the WWDX "CDX" club to get off of the chair and make some members.
It is available for the members of this forum; so PM a moderator and ask to get a number assigned to you.
Doesn't cost a thing - either.

10m was also quite interesting again too. Got Moscow/Russia once again at 5/9+ ("RL3A" Moscow, Zelenograd Russia/28.432 mhz mode: USB/2011-11-16 15:34:50 UTC). I though that was unusual but cool. The Czech Republic twice and a host of other stations from Europe. Not as many as the freeband; but very high quality stations nonetheless.

Conditions today were really quite nice, as I started out this day having DX with almost no ground static at all. Not usually the case for me. That help to make the QSO all that more enjoyable due to the extra clarity. On top of that, many stations on both the freeband and 10m sounded as though they were just across the street from me.

Hope to talk to some of you tomorrow.

EDIT:
thanks for posting those QSL cards WD-40.
Show 'em if you got 'em . . .

Last edited:
14LG061 Lionel 5/9 France
14GG628 Steven 5/9 France
26KP644 Bob 5/3 England
1AT357 Paulo 5/9 Italy
163DT102 Ian 5/8 Wales
93SD177 Matt 5/7 Malta
29G007 Des 5/9 Ireland
136AT340 Marc 5/8 Martinique/FR
43SS97 Sid 5/5 Australia

Malta was a real treat since I already got most of the big islands inside the Mediterranean. He was a Sugar Delta member that requested a QSL card - and he will get one.

Someone is going out of their way to make a stir on the .555 call freq. Not a real problem; but he is convinced of his ability just the same. Business went on well enough even with his best efforts.

10m was pretty awesome today. Really. Got some Europe stations as usual. Spain, Italy, Portugal, and Serbia. I did add a new country to the Europe list, and that one was Hungary. Only a handful of Europe station left before I have tagged them all. Easier said than done. After Europe faded, I swung the beam to the SE to see if I could get some of South America. About noon PST, my first contact was the Falkland Islands instead. That was a surprise. Then I flipped some kc's and moved the beam to the ESE and then got Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Nice! I was pretty glad about that. There were tons of callers from N America for S.Africa - that was also true for the Falklands as well.

Couple of hours later after lunch, I got Cuba for the first time. Funny that I could never even hear it before - guess the Hams in Cuba have stricter rules about station operations. I then swung the beam to my NNW and got more than a few Japan stations. Then I got Guam. Only a handful of operators on Guam, so I was amazed to get it at all. What a day!

Last edited:
Robb...
You had much better luck today then I did. Did about a hr this morning before I had stuff to do in the big city (YUK) hate that place Phx that is...
As you stated there has been a couple people on the call freq that have been "going out of there way" to make a disruption. Wouldnt mind finding the culprets and doing the "Ol stick pin in the coax trick" from back in the day. But we move on.

19SD269 RENE

14AT375 Alvin hard contact very little english

19AT027 Frits booming as always great QSO

13AL1 Adriann Very nice contact

1AT786 Nico on the island of sicily

Portable 139 George England

On my way home, gave a wave out to 9SD001 Al for a quick how you do...

Then there was pretty much nothing Xcept small state side stuff that came and went fast. To end the day had a long QSO with 2ET045 out of MI.

My ears still are not good to the south and west but will be getting my tower from moms place and set it up here.(Been being used for a TV antenna of all things) Hopefully getting this IMAX up in the air and away from that metal building is going to help (y)

Had a 4el up today for a costumer...

I had the idea prop was a bit down as it has been...though did make quite a few contacts.
About 10 guys from the west coast today..:-((
Had the idea it wasnt that strong today as mentioned, though some were 5/9 plus

Had also the nice change to speak with 9WR2000 our forum member from east canada put in a good signal in Holland today.

I had a nice treat with 33mp45.
He was mobile just over the border in alaska only used 40 watts and a mobile antenna.

Also 25/41/43 division over the long path this earlier this morning
We had 224 division calling aswell...but some spannisch bloke blow up that qso grr...

anyway..all in one ...it was actually a nice day from The Netherlands.
we migth be a bit to spoiled with the great prop lately lol.

We will be lisning for you guys.

Kind regards,

Henry 19SD348
HPSD index
All about antennas

Didn't talk much on 10m today; there really wasn't that much as there was yesterday.

Did snag the Azore Islands for the first time and also got Hispaniola in the Caribbean. Almost made another contact with the Canary Islands/'Las Palmas'; but he finished before I could get my call recognized. Not too bad; can always use more island contacts. They are real gravy!

19AT027 Frits 5/5 Netherlands
Had a great chat with Frits that lasted until you could hear his wife come in the room and threaten him with a frying pan to get off of the radio and go eat dinner.
Classic . . .

1AT786 Nico 5/9 Sicily/IT
Sicily on 11m band is a first. Great sounding station and a long QSO too.

19DX056 Twan 5/9 Netherlands
Second time I've talked to Twan. As I hear him often enough on the West Coast.

163AT116 Beth 5/9 Wales
Talked to this lovely lady for over fifteen minutes. She wanted to get her broadcast audio to sound like mine. So it took awhile to explain all the basics. I think her station sounds fine; but she wants to get hifi audio. I can understand that.

14IP28 Gerald 5/9 France
Toulouse, France. Which is the southern part of France. A lot of people wanted to talk today on the freeband, and I did also. Gerald was coming in quite strong for quite awhile.

103AT021 Jose 5/7 Puerto Rico/US
Very nice station and I listen to him make many contacts after mine.

69SD108 Ramon 5/7 Costa Rica
First contact for Costa Rica. One would think that it is so close that it would be easier. Just didn't happen that way.

10AD105 Manuel 5/9 Mexico
Mexico comes in quite often; but I never talked to him before. He challenged my ability to speak Spanish, as it isn't up to the mark as it should be.

9WR2000 Robin 5/9 Canada
Talked to Robin for about fifteen minutes too. Often hear him making the same DX contacts into the Pacific region as I do. Asked him to put up his station QSL card here. We want to see it here - Robin.

19SD348 Henry 5/5 Netherlands
Henry heard me but couldn't read back my numbers. I was in my mobile at the time and had a decent copy on him. Maybe next time Henry HPSD . . .

43WR014/43RC005 Darryl 5/9+
Now Darryl has a true monster station. Some of you I know have talked to him. He is located on the WEST cost of Australia. That is ~9,700 miles short path to my location. Long path (what he was using to talk to me) is close to 14,800!

Here is the picture of that monster:

IMG_1557X.jpg

Last edited:
Had also the nice change to speak with 9WR2000 our forum member from east canada put in a good signal in Holland today.
Good to hear you again Henry. Your RST was the best so far since conditions to Europe started a few months ago. Or maybe, you can tell your customer whose antenna you were testing, that you put something extra in that one antenna. ;) BTW, I am located in western Canada, 2000 miles in the other direction.

14IP28 Gerald 5/9 France Toulouse, France. Which is the southern part of France.
Sure on that number Robb? I got a card from Gerard, 14SD038 in Toulouse as well. Sounds pretty coincidental.:confused:

14sd038%28back,small%29.jpg

9WR2000 Robin 5/9 Canada
Talked to Robin for about fifteen minutes too. Often hear him making the same DX contacts into the Pacific region as I do. Asked him to put up his station QSL card here. We want to see it here - Robin.
You twisted my arm;

Yeah, I'm sure on that number.
He has a couple of call signs, and he did mention that he was also a member of Sugar Delta. He was just using his India Papa call.
So, we are both right . . .

Nice card Robin . . .

What another ODD day for conditions today... Worst then a roller coaster ride 1 sec its there and POOF gone again I did manage a few contacts before having to do some "Honey dews" Then a quad ride on te "fast" bike

19SD348 Henry was weak at first then started to come in good

13IR074 Daniel

108AT041 Grant

29AT000 Alan in his mobile

19SD348 Henry again was 7x9 this time sounded like the Operator I know :D

9WR2056 Jean Saskatchewan <--- firt contact there

350AT/DX Was doing a split freq no wonder I couldnt get to him at first :headbang

9HS279 John in his motor home Port St. Johns

Not much of a tally but it is something

Took it easy over the weekend . . .

29WW782 Jimmy 5/9 Ireland

28FAT010 Giovanni 5/8 Honduras

43AB3316 Benny 5/8 Australia

224SD114 (qrm) 5/3 Kiribati/Gilbert Islands

25ED(?)40 Sam 5/4 Japan

43WR014 Darryl 5/9(SWL) Australia

As well as a few others that I didn't write down.
There was a SD contest this weekend; but I did not participate and learned about how they do things.

On 10m, the same was true - I just gave it a big rest for the most part. I did make a few contacts. I made contact to Wales and Scotland; the Scot was from a mobile.

On an interesting note - I heard the country of Swaziland on 10m; a small country on the SE coast of Africa. Strong enough of a signal to talk to. However, there was a Ham that was working him until he faded out. So I know with the right conditions and that 4 element beam I have that it is entirely possible to talk into the Indian ocean. That would mean that I made it half way around the world - especially if I could get the island of Madagascar and beyond. Since conditions are only getting better still (even though today was a little dismal by comparison) I feel that it is a matter of time, patience, and determination before that happens.

But giving it a rest on the weekend just allowed me to get some rest and relaxation from the white and made-made noise levels.
Getting a fresh start for tomorrow.

Swaziland, South Africa, Madagascar, and Mozambque.

Attachments

• Swaziland.jpg
    Swaziland.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.