• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which is better?

Buy the
Al-811 or the AL-80B....
Spend money on ANTENNAS!....IMAX and random wire(requires external tuner) is not the way to go!
Forget 6 meters the TS-440 radio won't work there and believe me 6 meters is all about antennas....

NICE gesture on your part to get this young man started but he needs a MENTOR and ELMER....
GET YOUR TICKET...study with him...this will mean more to this new ham than all your doing presently!

I have bought new HT's and study guides for both my nephew and my niece's husband for Christmas, both gravitate to my shack during any visit!
They both will get all the help and instruction they request...
All the Best
Gary

I thought of it but hearing is an issue but I love listening I have my AOR AR-3000A

Totally agree here. And unless you have the bucks to throw around, I can't see getting a transisitor amp for casual use. If you're a band hopping DX'er, maybe. Have issues/limitations seeing or using your hands, then for sure. No tune and automatic band switching can be a real benefit then. The AL-80B's (I own one) are built like a tank, easy to tune, and hold their value very well. You usually won't find one for less than 850-900 dollars these days. I'm extremely limited on what antennas I can put up at my QTH, so an amp was kind of a must have. I run mine with 50-75 watts drive, and loaf along with 500-700 watts, which is plenty for me!

Brett

We are limited too but his property and mine join one another and all so can squeeze a little better than if just the one lot.

As posted before
(BJ) beat me to it.

IT is all about antennas on 20 meters and up in freq.

I have worked DX into EU on a 40 meter dipole using 100 watts BUT it was 80' in the air to the feed point of the dipole.

40 to 50' of tower. 10 thru 20 meter yagi and 100 watts will work anywhere you want to go.

It may not be the loudest signal on the band but it will be heard.

Take the money you were going to spend on the amp and put him up a tower and multi band yagi.

Later if he decides to work the low bands THEN an amp is definitely nice to have but not necessary.

I have talked to BJ many times on 100 watts into a dipole on 75 meters.

BJ is in Indiana and I am in Florida

Reactions: BJ radionut
As posted before
(BJ) beat me to it.

IT is all about antennas on 20 meters and up in freq.

I have worked DX into EU on a 40 meter dipole using 100 watts BUT it was 80' in the air to the feed point of the dipole.

40 to 50' of tower. 10 thru 20 meter yagi and 100 watts will work anywhere you want to go.

It may not be the loudest signal on the band but it will be heard.

Take the money you were going to spend on the amp and put him up a tower and multi band yagi.

Later if he decides to work the low bands THEN an amp is definitely nice to have but not necessary.

I have talked to BJ many times on 100 watts into a dipole on 75 meters.

BJ is in Indiana and I am in Florida

I have an AOR ar-3000a what freq I'll tune in and listen in on you all.

I listen a lot to 3.843.00 at night also in 80's - 90's was @3.810.00 or 3.812.00 or close to that... But no ones their no more.

Listening in as on @8am

image.jpg

Not much signal but hear quite a few DXing

Questions on tubes and variants.

Differences of same tubes but variant like the 500z vs gz vs .. Vs ..

Pro vs Con.

Costs vs value per KW.

Per( each ) tube costs.

3-500z - 3-500zg

3cx800a7

572B

3CX1500/8877

3CX1200

Avg life span.

gee, I dunno, I'm on 3.865 and hearing the group (on my 60 meter dipole) @ 8:00 CST.

Gary is 30 over 9 here in W. Tn

what kind of Rx antenna are you using?
I have hardly any signal on the meter BUT I hear @ 5 different people on their talking and semi loud to very loud.

Using an horizontal wire @30' per side total just over 60'

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.