• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which is better?

Was looking at Ameritron site them AL-80BYQ has two 3-500ZG tubes??? Someone explain this too me? Two of those tubes should Render 1500 watts to @1800 watts? Anyone go the low down on that amp?

MFJ/Ameritron F'ed up on their website. they say the AL-80BYQ has two 3-500Z tubes when in fact it has only one of them. Looking at the manual and schematic shows the truth. The AL-82 series has two tubes.

MFJ/Ameritron F'ed up on their website. they say the AL-80BYQ has two 3-500Z tubes when in fact it has only one of them. Looking at the manual and schematic shows the truth. The AL-82 series has two tubes.

I know why do they not change it, can be construed as false advertisement? Get one wow hey it states 2 tubes hmmm lol

Is Al-82 better bang vs al-80b? And of al-80byq better what's major difference with the Al-80BYQ vs Al-80B...

AL-80B is the standard amplifier. The AL-80BY is an export version with 10m included without any mods required. The AL-80BYQ is the same amp with 10m included AND the addition of the QSK circuit allowing fast switching from TX to RX which is helpful when running CW. Basically the amp drops out of line every time the key is UP in CW mode.

AL-80B is the standard amplifier. The AL-80BY is an export version with 10m included without any mods required. The AL-80BYQ is the same amp with 10m included AND the addition of the QSK circuit allowing fast switching from TX to RX which is helpful when running CW. Basically the amp drops out of line every time the key is UP in CW mode.

Basically sounds like either Al-80B or Al-80BQ for QSK board hmmm

Silly question now on the tubes only 3-500's theirs C Z ZG ect import Eimac Taylor ect...

1) what's biggest difference in them all?

2) which is best? And gives best performance and life expectancy.

3) can any of them be used in place of one another or their socket configuration different between each other?

What about the tubes themselves used in each which tubes are better or more efficient ect and why?

Example: 572 vs 3CX800A7 vs 3-500ZG ect
Even though the al-80b seems to be best bang for the buck a few hundred more for a 2 tube 3-500zg amp vs 572 tuned amp vs a 3CX800A7 tubed amp?

Pro and cons of tubs used in general.

I did give you a pro and con between tubes and transistors but from initial costs and costs associated with powering the amplifier since these facts which should be considered if installation and setup costs is an issue for you.

Look at the costs for a AL-80 B, averaging $1500.00 new. Now check the price of a kilowatt solid state amp and they start around $2300 and go way up from there. Then take into consideration the AL-80B can run on 110v on SSB mode while a solid state really needs to be on 220v so there is another expense bringing a 220v line to your shack.

I already mentioned in my opinion you can't you hear the difference on the other end between both amps. Have you been listening to QSO's and can you tell if a station is using a tube amp before the operator describes his equipment?

Sounds to me your set on tube amps and the AL-80B is one of the most popular kilowatt tube amp used, how can you go wrong?

Don't forget, to increase your signal just one more signal strength on the other end, you will have to run 4000 watts over the 1000 watts an AL-80B puts out. So is all these comparisons and discussions on different tubes and amp efficiencies worth your time?

If you don't have a beam antenna, invest in that first and 1 kilowatt out to the antenna (tube or transistor, your antenna doesn't care which) will be more than enough! If you ever heard I2VRN on 40 meters at night, he is one of the strongest European stations on the band and he is running 800 watts on a 40 meter mono-band beam.

Something to consider...

Last edited:
I did give you a pro and con between tubes and transistors but from initial costs and costs associated with powering the amplifier since these facts which should be considered if installation and setup costs is an issue for you.

Look at the costs for a AL-80 B, averaging $1500.00 new. Now check the price of a kilowatt solid state amp and they start around $2300 and go way up from there. Then take into consideration the AL-80B can run on 110v on SSB mode while a solid state really needs to be on 220v so there is another expense bringing a 220v line to your shack.

I already mentioned in my opinion you can't you hear the difference on the other end between both amps. Have you been listening to QSO's and can you tell if a station is using a tube amp before the operator describes his equipment?

Sounds to me your set on tube amps and the AL-80B is one of the most popular kilowatt tube amp used, how can you go wrong?

Don't forget, to increase your signal just one more signal strength on the other end, you will have to run 4000 watts over the 1000 watts an AL-80B puts out. So is all these comparisons and discussions on different tubes and amp efficiencies worth your time?

If you don't have a beam antenna, invest in that first and 1 kilowatt out to the antenna (tube or transistor, your antenna doesn't care which) will be more than enough! If you ever heard I2VRN on 40 meters at night, he is one of the strongest European stations on the band and he is running 800 watts on a 40 meter mono-band beam.

Something to consider...

Understood, AL-80B is best bang.

Ok it now on the tub inside it theirs so many variations aka manufacturing of it China taylor Eimac ect then C Z ZG ect which tube variation is best or does best last longest shelf life of the 3-500 series?

Also lastly I2VRN what freq is he on so I can tune him in on my AOR3000A

And also understand about beam/antenna in general.

Thanks for the response

Eimac no longer makes glass tubes. The only option is from China. All the 3-500 variants are basically the same. The old 3-500Z had a thinner plate than the newer 3-500ZG. The G stands for graphite and is a more rugged tube. Users of Chinese tubes claim that the one's from RF Parts and specifically labeled RF Parts are the better ones as they have been picked out of the mix and tested. RF Parts stands by their product too it seems.

Reactions: binrat
I run all solid state amps in both my mobile and base setups. I prefer them because of the reliability and how the modern amps and radios can be interfaced together and provide auto band switching and some of the newer amps have built in tuners.

As I stated in earlier posts, the initial costs with SS amps are higher because depending on the model, you need your own power supply, or if the power supply is provided which many of them are, the costs can be more than double when your talking a kilowatt or more.

All tubes are delicate in nature and require replacing at some point but at least tubes are still widely available and most tube amps tubes can be user upgraded. I have only used tubes in HI-FI stereo amps and music amplifiers and these tubes still need servicing from time to time too.

If you want to Listen to I2VRN, he is usually on every night around 0500 Zulu and the frequency varies around 7.190 +/- up to 3 kHz

Eimac no longer makes glass tubes. The only option is from China. All the 3-500 variants are basically the same. The old 3-500Z had a thinner plate than the newer 3-500ZG. The G stands for graphite and is a more rugged tube. Users of Chinese tubes claim that the one's from RF Parts and specifically labeled RF Parts are the better ones as they have been picked out of the mix and tested. RF Parts stands by their product too it seems.

So C D Z are not as good as ZG from RFI parts hmmm good to know does this also being Chinese and also tested by RF also hold up if you store one for long periods read were Z's pins failed ect ...

Just trying to see pictures of what's what.

Thank you for the response learned a lot so far From you and all others here.

1. 3-500ZG-RFP - RF Parts Brand 3-500zg Transmitter Tube
    $189.95
    add to cart

3-500ZG RF Parts Tube. Single
    Includes a 3 year warranty from RF Parts Company!

••••••••••••••••••••••••

1. 3-500Z-AMPEREX
      $329.95
      add to cart

Tube, 3-500z/8802 Amperex

Ok here's two what's major differences between the two besides price and will they work in amps like Al-80B and Al-82? And what makes it so much more expensive?

Amperex tubes are very good.....at least they were when I used them in broadcasting applications.I used to use 807's and 833C's in 1 Kw AM broadcast transmitters and they worked great. Later when they became hard to get and much more expensive we switched to Chinese made National brand tubes and noticed a definite decrease in lifespan. Amperex was made in France to original Phillip's specifications. Not sure what they make for tubes now and IIRC there are/were a lot of new old stock Amperex on the market. I personally would prefer the Amperex tubes over the Chinese manufactured ones of any brand name. In fact all the tubes made in the same plant in China are sold under several names such as RF Parts, Taylor etc. Supposedly RF Parts picks the better tubes and sells them under their own name. They still seem inferior to Amperex tubes however.

Again, any tube with the number 3-500XXX is electrically the same and will work. The differences are in the construction and durability. with the ZG type having the more rugged graphite anode (plate).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.