• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which is better?

Is their any better substitution to the 3-500's?

If you mean as a substitute to use in the same amp then NO. If you mean a different amp using a different tube then YES. Almost any of the ceramic tubes like the 3CX800 or even better the 3CX1500 are superior to glass tubes like the 3-500ZG but you pay for that. They need to be operated properly as well and not just have the shit hammered out of them.

From what I have seen so far, the AL80B is a pretty tough amp. I usually drive mine with 50 to 70 watts depending on band conditions, and it gets the job done nicely. On a 110 line I see 500-800 watts out depending on drive, which is ok by me. Really not sure which 3-500 is in my amp, but was told it was the original.

There's a guy on 40 meters that runs one of the Alpha 9500 models with the all auto stuff. He is elderly and can't see so well, so it really helps him out with not having ti tune. Very pricey, but worth it if you have the money.

Brett

Almost any of the ceramic tubes like the 3CX800 or even better the 3CX1500 are superior to glass tubes

Man, I can vouch for the 3CX800A7 tube (that's what is in my AL-800H), but they aren't cheap. I haven't had the opportunity to use anything with the 3CX1500 yet.

What about the Ameritron AL-82Q vs Ameritron 80b vs Ameritron 1306? Pro cons ect?

Which would be best over all and one that would last the longest with least amount of maintenance as far as parts replacement, general failures ect. I think I am getting my idea of what I am seeking in an amp.

It's down to these three in price range.

Thanks

Last edited:
Finally seeing both Al-80b and Al-82 both are almost equal watt per watt other than that.

What's the difference on the al-80b vs al-80bx vs al-80bq vs 80bqx. which is best when running a TS-480HX into it? And what would he need to make it complete to run I. Sync wih it cable wise for alc QSK ect?

Again thanks

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.