• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima 10/11/12 Meter Export Radio reviewed @ cbradiomagazine.com

Ed... I followed your advice and purchased the HM-36. It actually arrived before the Optima... lol.

After thinking about this some more, I decided that for now I am going to run barefoot with a single antenna for 11m. My understanding is that I do not need a tuned antenna to receive on 10m, and have been advised not to transmit on 10m.

I can always grow into this more as I go along, especially after I obtain my Technicians License for Ham Radio.

I guess the only outstanding issue is the antenna and placement.

I agree wholeheartedly with Tucker442 about the Wilson 5000 antenna. I have heard nothing but the best about the 1000 and 5000 antennas for roof mounting.

A few issues keep me from jumping there... First, I have a moon roof on the cab. I assume that wouldn't neccessarily be a deal-breaker, as I could drill a hole in the center at the rear, forward of the 3rd brake light. I believe that would still provide sufficient ground plane. If I am wrong... someone please tell me.

Second, I live in an urban environment and park daily in a parking garage at work. I would think the antenna would get beaten up in short order scraping the ceilings at the parking garage. I know I could remove the antenna and install that nice Wilson cover cap when needed, but it may be a PITA with all the on and off, as I would like to use the radio daily.

This is what was leading me to a fiberglass Firestik antenna. It is top-loaded, so the load part of the antenna would clear the top of the truck cab, when installed on the truck bed.

Following Ed's line of thinking... I was considering a corner mount at the front of the pick-up truck bed, on the driver's side of the vehicle. I could install a quick-disconnect, which would make the on-off a bit easier than getting up on the cab roof.

FYI... If I was to go the route of a Firestik fiberglass antenna... it was recommended that I go with a 5-foot, versus a 4-foot.

The concern I have with a truck bed mounted antenna is adequate ground plane.

While the Optima is reportedly a superb out-of-the-box transceiver, I have not forgotten what has been pounded into my head from various resources... the antenna makes or breaks a good clean signal.

Once I figure out what is best overall for my antenna needs, I am ready to rock-n-roll.

I greatly appreciate all the guidance received so far, as well as anyone else that has suggestions for me. Thank you!

John

Ed... I followed your advice and purchased the HM-36. It actually arrived before the Optima... lol.

After thinking about this some more, I decided that for now I am going to run barefoot with a single antenna for 11m. My understanding is that I do not need a tuned antenna to receive on 10m, and have been advised not to transmit on 10m.
A good plan. You can always buy the PDC-5 tuner later. The 11M antenna will work well on 10 for receive. There will be a slight inefficiency but it's not serious, and won't impede your listening. And yes, hams really resent unlicensed folks on their bands :thumbdown:.

I can always grow into this more as I go along, especially after I obtain my Technicians License for Ham Radio.
I highly recommend and encourage you to do that.

I guess the only outstanding issue is the antenna and placement.
I agree wholeheartedly with Tucker442 about the Wilson 5000 antenna. I have heard nothing but the best about the 1000 and 5000 antennas for roof mounting.
They are best base loaded antennas that I know of. That long, 65" whip is what makes the antenna.

[...] I live in an urban environment and park daily in a parking garage at work. I would think the antenna would get beaten up in short order scraping the ceilings at the parking garage. I know I could remove the antenna and install that nice Wilson cover cap when needed, but it may be a PITA with all the on and off, as I would like to use the radio daily.

This is what was leading me to a fiberglass Firestik antenna. It is top-loaded, so the load part of the antenna would clear the top of the truck cab, when installed on the truck bed.

Following Ed's line of thinking... I was considering a corner mount at the front of the pick-up truck bed, on the driver's side of the vehicle. I could install a quick-disconnect, which would make the on-off a bit easier than getting up on the cab roof.

FYI... If I was to go the route of a Firestik fiberglass antenna... it was recommended that I go with a 5-foot, versus a 4-foot.

The concern I have with a truck bed mounted antenna is adequate ground plane.

While the Optima is reportedly a superb out-of-the-box transceiver, I have not forgotten what has been pounded into my head from various resources... the antenna makes or breaks a good clean signal.

Once I figure out what is best overall for my antenna needs, I am ready to rock-n-roll.

I greatly appreciate all the guidance received so far, as well as anyone else that has suggestions for me. Thank you!

John
Where will the Firestick be mounted, on the bed, or the bedrail? In any case, with helical antennas (and all antennas) the longer the better. 5' is better than 4', and 6' is even better!!! Run the longest antenna that you can, while maintaining a good overhead clearance.

Boy are you going to have fun! Now, if you find the the AM mod level is too low, there is a simple fix for that. Just let me know, and will reveal it. (Actually, I don't have it at hand, but must go look for the info. It has to do with simply cranking the internal AM mod control up. I just can't remember if it clockwise or counter-clockwise. :confused:) The only thing about the OPTIMA is that it's not a loud AM screamer. It actually sounds very good on AM, almost "broadcast quality". (The hams on 29.00 Mhz AM, always give me compliments.) But with that new HM-36, it will really shine on SSB.

you talked about your moon roof, if it's an electric retractable one I would NOT drill anything in the roof, and if this is the case just get a mag mount for the wilson if that's what you have in mind, I know guys that have the mag mount and run 2 to 300 watts without a problem,

Ok... With the electric moon roof, drilling for a roof mount is out. Probably good advice. Thanks Tucker442.

So I am down to a mag mount (not that keen on the idea) or the Firestik.

To answer Ed's question on mounting... My idea was to mount the Firestik on the bed rail corner, right behind the cab on the drivers side.

Another option perhaps worth considering is to mount it directly on the Diamondback truck bed cover? It is constructed of .100" 3003 alloy diamond plate aluminum, coated on the exterior with Line-X. The Diamondback completely covers the bed rails except for the extreme front bedrail corners, directly behind the cab.

With either truck bed mounting option (rail v. cover), again my concern is with adequate ground plane. Would I have it?

---
Ed, did you mention earlier that you were running power to your Optima with a cigarette lighter plug? If yes, I assume that would be ok as long as I was running barefoot only?

---
Ham license... Studying now...test within 30 days. I already have my eye on a Yaesu dual band mobile. I guess I can be both a ham and a pirate...lol.

73's...

I was just at the Ford plant in Dearborn Michigan today watching them install the actual moon roof assembly and the way it's mounted there isn't much room for error, I don't know about all the trucks but I do know the GM trucks it's not a good idea either, I've been a GM A Tech since 1972 so I've been around the block a few times LOL

I think I answered my own questions with a bit more online research.

First, while moonroof are tricky, I found another Raptor owner that placed (4) NMO roof mounts in his moonroof equipped truck (professionally installed).

Second, I learned that installing an antenna on the bed rail, immediately behind the cab is the worse place to mount an antenna.

Third, I read a few articles that state mag mount antennas are downright dangerous.

I see a carefully placed, roof mounted Wilson 5000 or Larson NMO27B in my future.

Larsen antenna

I'm quoting the following from a Magnum257HP review in this forum. I heartily recommend this for your consideration as I've had a lot of experience w/Larsen antennas which are the best quality available.

"I would like to recommend the Larsen NMO34B coil, matched up with a 64" whip (Larsen W640). This gives you a 10M antenna that is approximately 64" long, just like a Wilson 1000, yet is compatible with all NMO mounts. This is what our local ham club has done. We sourced and purchaed a batch of NMO34 coils, whips and springs and now have a great 10M antenna.

The Larsen NMO27 is OK, but the whip too short to be very efficient. A 64" whip would be better for efficiency. The longer 64" whip, "detunes" the coil, putting the whole antenna up on 28+ Mhz.

For CB use, I use an NMO30 coil and the 64" whip. You might need the short 4" spring (Larsen SPRING or SPRINGB) to resonate the antenna properly, depending on installation. Our club is absolutely thrilled with this antenna. For 12M use (24.9 Mhz), use the NMO27 coil and the 64" whip.."

I'm quoting the following from a Magnum257HP review in this forum. I heartily recommend this for your consideration as I've had a lot of experience w/Larsen antennas which are the best quality available.

"I would like to recommend the Larsen NMO34B coil, matched up with a 64" whip (Larsen W640). This gives you a 10M antenna that is approximately 64" long, just like a Wilson 1000, yet is compatible with all NMO mounts. This is what our local ham club has done. We sourced and purchaed a batch of NMO34 coils, whips and springs and now have a great 10M antenna.

The Larsen NMO27 is OK, but the whip too short to be very efficient. A 64" whip would be better for efficiency. The longer 64" whip, "detunes" the coil, putting the whole antenna up on 28+ Mhz.

For CB use, I use an NMO30 coil and the 64" whip. You might need the short 4" spring (Larsen SPRING or SPRINGB) to resonate the antenna properly, depending on installation. Our club is absolutely thrilled with this antenna. For 12M use (24.9 Mhz), use the NMO27 coil and the 64" whip.."
I'm the guy who posted those comments about the NMO34. We are absolutely thrilled with it's performance. For CB use I recommend the NMO30B coil. Now these antennas are hard to find, as they are not stock Larsen antennas. They must be special ordered (the coils, the whips and springs) from Larsen. If your dealer is uncooperative, let me know, as we have a Larsen dealer here who stocks these oddball antennas. Expect to pay about $100. for the complete antenna including spring.

Certainly you could buy a Wilson 1000 (or 5000) but the advantage here is the NMO mount which is compatible with all of Larsen's VHF and UHF antennas, should you want them.

Ed,

You are my Elmer... no doubt on that!

I actually spent a considerable amount of time looking at NMO mount antennas over the weekend. I agree these commercial-grade antennas would be a better choice for me. After looking at Larsen, Maxrad, and Laird/Antenex... I am leaning toward the Antenex brand of NMO mount antennas.

Specifically, I am focusing on the CW27 (wideband) or C27 for 10/11m... and the CB144/440CS for 2m/70cm.

The Antenex is rated for 200 watts, while the Larsen is rated for 150 watts. Not that 50 watts would make a difference to me... as I have decided to run stock output on my mobiles.

The Antenex brand is very well established within public safety (police/fire). Larsen is also, but to a lesser extent. Perhaps nothing more than a "Ford v. Chevy" personal preference at this point.

BTW, both Antenex antennas with be black, with black coils and black springs. At bit more stealthy on my black F150...

glsmith1544... Thanks for steering me to look at the NMO mount antennas. They are the way to go!!!

I am going to follow the route taken by another Raptor owner with a moon roof... professional installation.

I can't wait for the Technician License exam next month!!! This is going to be fun.

Thanks to all for your kindness and guidance.

73's...

John

Last edited:
[...] I actually spent a considerable amount of time looking at NMO mount antennas over the weekend. I agree these commercial-grade antennas would be a better choice for me. After looking at Larsen, Maxrad, and Laird/Antenex... I am leaning toward the Antenex brand of NMO mount antennas.

Specifically, I am focusing on the CW27 (wideband) or C27 for 10/11m... and the CB144/440CS for 2m/70cm. [...] John
No problem at all. Antenex makes good antennas.
Why did we choose the NMO34 coil over the NMO27? The NMO34 coil has less inductance than the NMO27, which requires a longer whip to resonate. This is crucial! The longer the whip, the more efficient the antenna! So the question is how long is the Antenex antenna? The reason the NMO34 coil and whip assembly works so well is the 64" whip length, same as the Wilsons. You will want to make sure your antenna is at least about 70" total length.

Why do commercial antenna makers make a "xx27" coil? Because with those coils you can use a 49" whip, which is smaller and less prone to damage/maintenance issues than a 64" whip. Commercial antenna manufacturers aren't interested in DX, they simply want performance and reliability for ground-wave coverage within a certain limited coverage area. Local radio shops don't want to bother with replacing a busted antenna every week, and neither do the vehicle owners. A typical 27 Mhz coil antenna might be used for anything from 25Mhz to 30Mhz for forestry/lumber work. A professional antenna for a professional user. They don't care about DX, or distance, all they care about is that they can talk to the remote base 20 miles away. We, as DX'ers have a different application, which requires the longest whip possible.

So, how long is the whip on your CW/C27?

Ed,

Its a good thing I am in no hurry to do anything... because you keep giving me more information to think about... and learn from.

The Antenex C27S has a 49" whip (then add for the spring).

The Antenex CW27S has a 64" whip (then add for the spring).

The "CW" model is a wideband antenna, which reportedly is a "self tuning" antenna, requiring no manual whip length adjustments. :confused:

Mounting such a tall antenna on the cab of a tall pick-up truck... in an urban environment... hmmm. Maybe a 102" on a ball mount w/spring... mounted on the rear bumper... might be easier to manage (i.e. gutter mount whip clip when needed)???

73's...

John

Ed,

Its a good thing I am in no hurry to do anything... because you keep giving me more information to think about... and learn from.

The "CW" model is a wideband antenna, which reportedly is a "self tuning" antenna, requiring no manual whip length adjustments. :confused:

Mounting such a tall antenna on the cab of a tall pick-up truck... in an urban environment... hmmm. Maybe a 102" on a ball mount w/spring... mounted on the rear bumper... might be easier to manage (i.e. gutter mount whip clip when needed)???

73's...

John
Any part of an antenna that is below the level of the sheet metal of the vehicle will be ineffective. The part that is above the sheet metal is the part that will radiate. So a 102" whip is only as effective as the portion that is above the highest part of the vehicle. You can do the math from there.

When mounted on the edge of a vehicle, that antenna becomes directional twards the part of the vehicle that has the most sheet metal. Example: If mounted low at the rear right bumper; then it will be most directional twards the left front.

The best place that is most effective is the top/center of the vehicle. As tall of an antenna as you can feel comfortable working with. I have a vehicle that is approx 5 ft from the ground surface, plus an antenna that is 6 1/2 ft above that - mounted on a mag mount on the center/top. I make it work just fine; but I have to be careful. No more hamburger drive-thrus for me. But that's OK too - eh? Other than that, it works out the best for 10 and 11m ('CB') bands.

Compromise what you must; but be aware of these limitations and factors first. Best of luck making your choices for what you need it to do for you.

Robb / WR-11

Last edited:
Ed,

Mounting such a tall antenna on the cab of a tall pick-up truck... in an urban environment... hmmm. Maybe a 102" on a ball mount w/spring... mounted on the rear bumper... might be easier to manage (i.e. gutter mount whip clip when needed)??? 73's... John
Interesting! What you want is the CW27S with the 64" whip and spring. The reason they claim that it's self tuning, is because of the relatively wider bandwidth due to the longer whip. I have experienced precisely the same phenomenon with my Larsen NMO34 with 64" whip. When I first installed it on my trunk, I found the SWR to be quite reasonable, without tuning. To "fine tune" the SWR (which was 1.2:1 at 28.400) I simply moved the whip into the ferrule about 3/4", and bingo! it was tuned to my target frequency of 28.8 Mhz. In your case, it appears that the CW27 really is wideband (which is exactly what you want).

I almost looks like the CW27S coil has less inductance in order for it to resonate with a 64" whip, which is exactly what you want.

Let's see... mounting it on the cab roof... approximately 70" inches above the roof... (5" 10" long!!! which is why it works so well!!!!)...
Well, my buddy Mike, VA3MPM, has his mounted on the cab roof of his Dodge pick-up. Hmmm.... Dougie, VE3DLJ, too, has his mounted on the cab roof of his pick up. (BTW - Dougie has the same set-up as you - a Midland-Alan 9001 which he uses for "dual service", and uses one of the PDC5 tuners in his truck, under the radio.)

Personally, I'd go with the cab roof, as Robb says , anything else is a compromise and a deficiency. Those long whips are pretty 'whippy" too, so they will "give" easily. The only alternative to mount an antenna on the bed-rail at the rear, (away from obstructions). In that case, I'd go with a 6' fiberglass but be aware of the limitations of that kind of installation, (extreme directivity to the front opposite corner).

Oh I forgot one thing... you will want the spring, just in case (to resonate properly) and it's a spring, which helps in the whippiness of the antenna (more give).

Oh, and another thing... around here, I see lot's of pick-ups with Wilson 1000's mounted on the cab roof. I say go for it. (y)

Last edited:
I received my Optima today. I can't wait to install it in my pick-up truck. John
By now you will have realized that there is no printed manual with your radio. You are required to down load the manual from Yeticom. I have included it here.

What I did was copy over the PDF file to a CD rom, and bring it over to a UPS Store, who will print it off for you. The PDF has a few colored sections so instruct the clerk about that; she will print off those pages in color.

Attachments

• Optima 2011 Operating Manual rev3 March 2011.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.