You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
Retevis is giving away THREE radios for their 16th Anniversary! Click Here to enter!
I just noticed the letter "T" next to it. I wonder if that stands for "transverse" or maybe it's a tantalum .... ??? .
I I also noticed it heads right down to the am/ssb switch. So, this probably wasn't my receive issue in a.m. LOL I found a bad diode on the noise blinker board, that made...
It's an axial cap, that's why I missed it when I did the original recap. It looked like a diode or resistor to me. A radial went in with no problem after widening the legs a little. I had a choice of using either a 2.2 or a 4.7. I figured the 2.2 might make RX choppy, so I stuffed the 4.7 in...
It's not a "455", its a single sided matching coil. I just ended up winding another one from scrap parts, see post 9.
When this 1st happened I did try a few different 455s in there, but either had nothing at the filter or no adjustment.
When I 1st got this radio it was inoperable, with the...
These have the hollow square adjuster hole, when I melted that wax it probably blobbed up underneath. Then while attempting to cycle the slug through its full range I broke it... It'll be a while till I can get back to it, I replaced that can with one from another road talker and I did have...
Thank you for your input, It's great to have allies in these situations.
And, I didn't mean to CarJack Justins post, but when I saw the same radio I was fiddling with I had to at least add a little input...lol.
I'm pretty sure I'll find the issue up on the mini board this stuff sits on. Im...
Here's my old Q701, it's definitely tired...lol. I replaced it with a good used 2SC1675 I had laying around. The 12.320 and .319 seem to work fine.
Now that I have gain, it only grabs the double or the fundamental depending how I peak T701.
I think the triplets are there, but just too weak to...
I think Q701 is crapping out, I had to put about 80pf from base to ground to make an even looking output after the trippler coil otherwise the output is tiny and staggered... thats next...
That might be it, I cannot get the 36 MHz out of it, I'm only getting 12 something at that test point.
I believe all of that stuff is on a separate daughter board that sits above the PLL area.
That must not have been bees wax, It may have been chunks of hot glue or hard parafin.
Bummer!
I have another Roadtalker (Base/Mobile/Slantface) that is down for the count, waiting on a donor IF xtal filter, I'll "borrow" T302 from here.
But, the bottom line is that the PLL brought the 10.24...
Thanks Nomad, I had everything up and running and was really happy, but noticed the slug in that VCO coil was wiggly. I put a couple flakes of beeswax on top of it and heated it up with my soldering iron so it soaked down in to help hold things still. After I put the tin shield covers back on...
The new chip has different markings, a tiny dimple shows where pin one is and a larger (deep) dimple takes the place of the notch we're used to seeing. I'ts also a little bigger but, the pins all match just fine.
The 10.24 came back to life, but VCO voltage is still wonky. One moment I'll...
It's Here!.... It's Here!
The box is in really good shape, The chip is pressed into a dry rotted foam chunk, held by a dry rotted rubber band that crumbled when I tried to put it back on. I won't have time to fiddle with it until Thursday, and only if I get my old Washington (#2) buttoned up...
Thanks Brandon, Good plan.
I grabbed a Sylvania ECG1255 on eBay for $5, I'm going to give it a whirl. NEC1255 is another one I saw on there.
This is a cool looking radio, Id like to have it up and running. Otherwise the daughterboard idea was my original plan.
I'll post here again with the...
I have this exact radio with the exact issue, VCO is either floored at 5v or stalled at 0v. No 10.24, and pin 6 hangs at 5v too. I replaced C721, suspect for having 5v on the can body and swapped in a new 10.24. I isolated pin 6 thinking that the voltage may have been causing the issue with the...
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.