1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

1.5 KHZ SSB OFFEST?

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by Sonar, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Sonar

Sonar Sr. Member

Although i had this Madison retrofitted with a quasi vfo, and true frequency counter.about 4 years ago I've always been curious as to Mike's description about the 1.5 khz offset. What is a - 1.5 khz offset? My Madison's frequency counter shows a 1.5 khz offset to the + side on upper SSB, and -1.5 on lower SSB.
    Mike seems impressed with the fact that the frequency counter shows this offset.
    I've never seen another frequency counter show this offset. Can someone explain this 1.5 kilohertz offset to me?

#1 Sonar, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019

2. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

"Offset" is dependent to ssb filter used.
    Mike

3. Unit 75

Unit 75 Sweet Home Alabama

Hey, Sonar... I have 4 or 5 of those Madison's with the 858 chip that use Ralphs VFO/counter kit. The newer models have the encoder mounted in the display instead of being incorporated in that side mounted case on your radio.
    sp5it is correct about the 7.8 MHz crystal filter in your unit.
    Your radio has a carrier offset of +/- 1.5 KHz above and below your 7.8 MHz for USB and LSB. Ralphs VFO/counter is set up for that so it actually reads your SSB frequencies instead of just the AM frequency.

Shadetree Mechanic and Sonar like this.
  4. Sonar

Sonar Sr. Member

Thanks for expanding of the first reply. Your detailed description has answered my question, and solved the mystery of the 1.5 offset my Madison's frequency counter shows. 73

5. Unit 75

Unit 75 Sweet Home Alabama

No problem, Sonar. Here are a couple of pics. IMG_3889.JPG IMG_7690.JPG

6. Mustang 131

Mustang 131 Well-Known Member

Unit 75 likes this.
  7. Sonar

Sonar Sr. Member

357magnum and Unit 75 like this.