• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

1 Outlet In My Radio Room....

Eastside

Apr 29, 2011
and I got 3 power strip/surge protectors plugged into it....any item I can use to stop power sags? if that is the right word?

Then, just don't use any more amperage thru that one outlet than the breaker/fuse will allow for.

I wouldn't run an amp with more than 250 watts either.
Figure on 25 amp draw max on that outlet - I would.

Turn off the toaster when running the amp. ;)

Common sense says only pull 85% of what the line's breaker is rated for, any more than that you'll need to pull another line to that area.

Some guy on the CB mention something about a powered rack mount....anyone know anything about them?

Some guy on the CB mention something about a powered rack mount....anyone know anything about them?

It won't change the amount of current that should be drawn from that breaker. Yeah, they make a rack type power strip with 8 receptacles. No different than a plastic one with a switch - except for the price. Used them in my guitar amp rack. Still have it. They vary in price with the features they have.

I have not wired my radio shack in yet, so its running off of a 120v cord plugged into my house. I have 2 power supply's, scope, computer, lights, soldiering iron, and I pep around 2500 watts off of one 20 amp breaker. That same 20 amp breaker also powers half of a bedroom also.

I have never tested my voltage drop but I have not had a problem, my house is also built over code with 10 gauge wire. I know im still pushing my luck :D

I have everything to wire my shack into 220-240 just have not had time :blushing:

I would check the gauge of the wiring in your wall, if its a older house you might have under rated wiring!

Then, just don't use any more amperage thru that one outlet than the breaker/fuse will allow for.

I wouldn't run an amp with more than 250 watts either.
Figure on 25 amp draw max on that outlet - I would.

Robb..... 250 watt will draw 25 amps around 12-14 volts, a 250 watt amp being powered by a 110 power supply will draw around 3 amps of 110 volts.

110v x 20amps = 2200 watts, so a amp at 50% efficiency on a 20 amp breaker will still support a 1000+ watt amp.

Since most radio transmissions are intermittent and current draw is not consistent you can run a bigger amp than what is rated by the breaker.

Robb..... 250 watt will draw 25 amps around 12-14 volts, a 250 watt amp being powered by a 110 power supply will draw around 3 amps of 110 volts.

110v x 20amps = 2200 watts, so a amp at 50% efficiency on a 20 amp breaker will still support a 1000+ watt amp.

Since most radio transmissions are intermittent and current draw is not consistent you can run a bigger amp than what is rated by the breaker.

You're right of course.

I thought about that after I read your last post.

Bit I still wouldn't run 1500 PEP out of a 20 amp breaker...Just wouldn't be prudent...

Attachments

• george-bush-sr.jpg
    george-bush-sr.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 32

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.