• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

1 pill drive section output cap?

dx31353

Mar 5, 2014
Anyone know what the output cap should be on a 1 pill drive section in a 1x4?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

More info is needed. What type of amp? what is the pill # in the drive stage? how is the transformer configured? what is your drive power? what band/bands are u interested in? How are u balancing the LC network? that is what that cap is for. the LC circuit. if u no the maker you can guess by what they use in there amps. if it is a custom job then all above info is needed

If u plan on using it for 10 m. them configure it for 29mhz if you want 10 m and 12 m configure it for 27mhz IN A DUMMY LOAD.
I hope some of this helps. good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
Sorry guys I always do that. It's a 2879 DEI. I think it's a fatgirl but I'm not sure. I used a trimmer. Anything from 180 down to 130 looked good so I went with the middle at 150.

Anyway after I fixed it i expected to see almost 400 average and 750 or 800 pep driving it with a cobra 29 doing 13 average and 30 pep. I was lucky to get 290 average on a bird and just crack 500 on pep. Anyone ever deal with these fatgirls with the 2879 DEIs? Testing at 14.5 volts btw.

I wounder if these DEI pills are that crappy?

Well, I dont know how you got 30 watts pep out of the cobra 29. I'm to the point that I don't trust any wattmeters. The only thing I trust any more is "how many amps am I drawing on ssb?" My last Bird said my cobra 29's were all doing 40+ watts with the stock final.

Peak is overrated anyway (on AM) but normally those 1x4 amps will register around 800 watts ssb if you out 40 watts peak into them. Just my opinion...that's a little too much but nevertheless...

The DEI's aren't as good as the toshiba's. Texas star has done a good job of tuning their stuff to the DEI's but it took them a while.

Still, on a bird 43 w/ peak, I would expect you to have readings of about 700 watts with the cobra 29.

output section now

You might need to retune the output.section now that you are speaking of DEI.

my cobra 29 does 13 RMS and 45 PEP on a Perfect Calibriated Bird 43P....just an awesome stickman mod.....I call it the spaceage mod lol.

If you need to send it to me so I can get it all straighted out for ya check me out at gagekeeperamps dot com it will forward you to my youtube channel. Good luck!

You might need to retune the output.section now that you are speaking of DEI.

my cobra 29 does 13 RMS and 45 PEP on a Perfect Calibriated Bird 43P....just an awesome stickman mod.....I call it the spaceage mod lol.

If you need to send it to me so I can get it all straighted out for ya check me out at gagekeeperamps dot com it will forward you to my youtube channel. Good luck!

What fun would that be?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.