• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 M mobile radio with good receive

You can run a ground from a chassis or cover screw as you mentioned, it wont hurt anything I actually do this aswell.

What if the noise is coming through the antenna? Then what? My magnum 257 picks up the noise from the motors of other people's windshield wipers. If a take of the antenna, no noise, no alternator, no nuttun, quiet as a mouse. I guess i would have to choke the recieve wire?

if ya dont mind a simple 11 meter 40 channel with ssb the texas ranger
series are very quiet and imho have the best recieve in the 11 meter
radios.weres your antenna mounted?if possible try moving it more towards the rear
away fronm the altenator.may help.

Sorry guys my moms been in the hospital and I just got these messages. The antenna is a wilson 5000 mag mount. I have it placed right in the middle of the roof of the car. I've had other radios which were used in this car with this same antenna in the same spot with no noise. Thats why I assumed it was the radio.

The noise blankers on the Magnum 257hp work very well.

I have used it in a number of different vehicles with no problems. I do use a choke on the power cables. Great radio.

Sorry to hear about your Mom.

Hello Everyone,
I found a great deal on an rci 2950 decided to give it a try and couldn't be happier. I paired it with a d-104 handheld mic and a wilson 5000 antenna. The radio is dead on frequency. The noise is tollerable and I've made some great DX contacts. One person even asked me if I was talking on a base radio.
Thanks guys

Hello Everyone,
I found a great deal on an rci 2950 decided to give it a try and couldn't be happier. I paired it with a d-104 handheld mic and a wilson 5000 antenna. The radio is dead on frequency. The noise is tollerable and I've made some great DX contacts. One person even asked me if I was talking on a base radio.
Thanks guys

That is what i am using in my mobile. 2nd Gen. RCI-2950. I do need to buy a Astatic D104M6B.

Schottky Diode for 2950dx

The 2950dx has issues with white noise but is has nothing to do with the AM detector. By the way the 2950dx already comes from the factory with a Schottky diode detector. Diode D34 is a HSM198S Silicon Schottky Barrier Diode Detector. The white noise is audio generated at transistor Q-18 that is above 6 khz and as hi as 14 khz. Normal AM is up to 6 khz wide (THE TYPICAL BANDWITH OF THE AM SELECTIVITY FILTER IN YOUR RADIO) and ssb is about 2.4khz. That is why those ham radio gears sound so great on cb ssb because they typically go from 80HZ TO 2.7-4khz. Wider audio better sound (up to a limit). On the DX the wide audio signal generated at Q-18 goes from 100hz to @ 14khz. All that audio above 6 khz is just noise. A HIGH CUT PASSIVE FILTER HAS TO BE INSTALLED BETWEEN THE DETECTORS AND AUDIO AMPLIFIER TO MINIMIZE THE WHITE NOISE. You can find many examples on the Internet on how to build a simple circuit.

Look at your cb factory audio response and typically will indicate 300 hz to 3khz response both on transmit and receive. That is the example of the cobra 29lx le. These transceivers are easily modifiable to hi fi audio from 80hz to 7khz on AM sounding like a broadcasting station with the proper audio input.

Joe RADIO ONE.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.