• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10x Oscilloscope Probe Question

LeapFrog

Wielding Hanlon's Razor
Feb 15, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Hello everybody I have a Tektronix 2336YA oscilloscope
(with an input resistance/capacitance of 1 MOhm & 20pF).

I am going to purchase my first probe soon, I have been looking at the Tek tpp0101 and the Tek p2220.
I am on a very limited budget so I'm only going to purchase one probe.

I'm going to be using this oscilloscope for working on HF transceivers, my question is which probe is more often going to be used 1x or 10x or will I need the ability to switch between both settings often?

As you can probably tell by this question I'm not very familiar with this piece of equipment and in fact I do not know how to use it yet.

My concern is that the switchable probe does not have an exact match of the input capacitance on the scope (I understand there is a compensation range). I have found a 10 X probe that is labeled as having 20pF input capacitance that is the one I am going to purchase unless I must have a 1X probe.

So to sum it up, what do you guys use most often when diagnosing, troubleshooting, and repairing an HF transceiver 1X or 10 X probe?

Advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you gentlemen.
-Sam

Last edited:

Get the switchable unit. all that does for example if your scope input has a maximum input of 10 volts you can safely sample at 10X. You have to multiply the resulting voltage by 10 to get the proper result.
Check eBay for probes. That's where I buy mine. usually less than $15.00 for two probes.
The 10X increases the voltage you can look at safely.

Get the switchable unit. all that does for example if your scope input has a maximum input of 10 volts you can safely sample at 10X. You have to multiply the resulting voltage by 10 to get the proper result.
Check eBay for probes. That's where I buy mine. usually less than $15.00 for two probes.
The 10X increases the voltage you can look at safely.

I agree... IF you do not mind waiting for a Slow Boat from China, shopping on www.ebay.com can be somewhat Inexpensive... While you are waiting for the Probe to arrive, you can Study the Owner's Manual...

I agree... IF you do not mind waiting for a Slow Boat from China, shopping on www.ebay.com can be somewhat Inexpensive... While you are waiting for the Probe to arrive, you can Study the Owner's Manual...
I thought the manuals were used to keep your table from rocking.
Joking of course. I have a new radio that I had to read the manual just to turn it on. FT-857D is pretty complicated for this old hillbilly.

I want to help make America great again, so any time I can avoid buying things coming through on a slow boat from China I do.

That being said those people have become the dominant party in export and manufacturing..
It can be really hard trying to save money and buy American at the same time, almost impossible.

I am glad you are enjoying your
Pegasus Model 550, seems like a sweet rig..

One of my Radios that is not Vacuum Tube Based is Run by this Computer... No Knobs or Switches to play with, other than the Power ON / OFF Button... Built in the USA, like ALL my Radios...
http://www.tentecwiki.org/doku.php?id=550

Not brought to you by the People that brought you Pearl Harbor...

Make America Great Again !!!!!

I buy what gets me the most value for my dollar. Pearl Harbor is nothing compared to Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

You mess with a Bull, You get the Horns... WHAT were they thinking ???
Oh, that's right, they weren't...

I shop Flea Markets and drag home Antiques as far as my Radio Equipment, for little $$$... As they say, know your Radio Equipment, or know your Radio Technician better...
I like my Antiques...
My favorite Transmitter, from the Mid-1950's, a Barker and Williamson 5100 weighs 87 Pounds (Eighty Seven)... They sure don't make them like they used to... Sure was hard dragging that Home...It's 10 - 80 Meter... It has an 11 Meter Band Position on the Faceplate, from before the FCC took the 11 Meter Band from the HAM Operators and Created the Citizen's Band... I think THAT is why most HAMS don't like CB'ers... ???
I guess they STILL hold a Grudge...

It has an 11 Meter Band Position on the Faceplate, from before the FCC took the 11 Meter Band from the HAM Operators and Created the Citizen's Band... I think THAT is why most HAMS don't like CB'ers... ???
I guess they STILL hold a Grudge...

Yeah that's it. It has NOTHING to do with their intrusion into the 10 and 12m bands. It has nothing to do with them running class C amps on the air that splatter all over the various bands due to little or no filtering and extremely poor IMD figures. It has nothing to do with their obtaining a ham ticket and running dirty export radios and those class C amps on 10m. It has nothing to do with them carrying the 11m channel 6 mentality over to the ham bands when they get their ticket. It all has to do with the FCC taking about 100KHz of spectrum away from them 50 years ago. Most hams never complained back then and I don't think there are many that could care less about it now.

There was local CB'er that was running ONE kilowatt dead key of power and would waste the entire band from channel One through Forty was unusable. Over modulated and poorly tuned equipment wrecked 11 meters for many miles around town. His main problem was all of the hate speech. He would try to back up all of his hate with quotes from the bible. I won't even mention his race.

I won't judge an entire group of hobbyist because of one bad individual. The first time I tuned in to 14.313 MHz I had to double check my equipment to be sure I did not tune in to CB land.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.