• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter center fed wire dipole antenna install inside my vehicle

Shrum

May 2, 2013
Hello all, I have some questions on a dipole wire antenna I want to install inside my Toyota 4runner. So my problem is that I'm trying figure out a suitable location to install a dipole my buddy firerunner built for me. So in the summertime I can remove the top on my runner and use a 102' whip that mounts on the roll bar and it works fine, but for the winter when the top is back on I have no decent location for a antenna, so my thoughts are to install this dipole inside the the 4runner and run the wires around the headliner which would make it horizontal I'm assuming and kinda like a loop antenna. Basically I'm looking for input on this idea before I go and cut it down and try to install it inside my truck... any input is greatly appreciated. Shrum. (388 norcal)

All bets are off as to what the final length and shape configuration would be but one thing is for sure. The SWR will be high and interference to the vehicles electrical system is pretty much guaranteed. Dipoles are NOT for mobile applications especially INSIDE a vehicle.

Reactions: Marconi
when asking advice on a set up issue, a pic is helpful. what kind of roof/removal are we talking here? cab? bed? both?
antenna inside is no good, do you have an isolated roof rack? might be able to do something on top of that. why can't you run a mag mount? on the cab? on the bed?

If you have any metal roof, make use of it and use a mag mount antenna like stated. Something like a sirio performer 5000 and pl145 mag mount. Or place it on the hood. Either way the dipole isn't going to work like others have stated. You would basically be making yourself a large microwave inside that truck lol. Feel the RF Luke. Seriously, do what others have stated and find an alternative. JMO. Good day.

Get a 1/2 wave basic silver rod and put it pole and clamp it to your vehicle it will work better for sure.

4 Runner removable tops are fiberglass.
Fiberglass is pretty much invisible to RF. I've seen one install in a pickup where a 102" whip was installed on a toolbox mounted to the bed floor, the truck had a fiberglass cap with a small hole drilled in it for the antenna to pass through. Maybe something similar could work with your existing antenna mount.

Install some wire mesh across the top of the roof. Line it well. Then you will have some metal. Use the fiberglass as your insulator and then use the wire mesh under it for your ground plane. I bet enough wire mesh and some bonding of body parts to frame and such, you could make an antenna work on the roof. Too much BS involved for a daily driver and the vehicle it's being installed into, being a 4 runner? Maybe not. But at any rate the hood is metal correct?? Use a mag mount there like midnight special suggested. A sirio trucker center load antenna with a good quad mag mount on the hood, or even a tri mag mount at least, with a longer shaft possibly to get the load above the roof line. Wilson makes the longer shafts. Just an idea. But it would seem the best resolve for your issue.
Or if you are going to be parked and what not with the roof off, build a moxon or get an IMAX 2000 base antenna and some coax and setup a mobile static station. Add a mast and pound it in the ground. Hell the antenna doesn't have to be placed up high if you can't get it there but it's still taller than the vehicle with an antenna. Always a compromise with vehicles like yours. I wish you luck and hope you find a resolution to your issue. Good day.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.