• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter dipole help???

Coupling to earth (and things sitting on the earth, like buildings, trees, etc).

A dipole in "free space", which is about as practical as a genuine isotropic antenna, has a feedpoint impedance right around 70 ohms. Closer to the earth, at easily attainable heights - say at 30 feet or so on 11 meters - it'll be lower; somewhere closer to 50 ohms.

thank you beetle .
i thought a dipole needed sloped radials (aka starduster) to tune to 50 ohms .

any dipole higher then about a 1/2 wave above average ground wont really know the diference by much. maybe an ohm or two depending on how good or bad the ground is. a 11m dipole at 30 feet will still be about 70 ohms but dropped to 10 feet will be about 60ohms. thats what i saw when i borrowed a mfj analizer. when i pulled the middle over so it made a vee at about 150 degrees the swr came down to 1.2 to 1 from 1.7 to 1 at 27 feet high

If by 'slopped radials' you mean making the angle between the dipole's 'legs' less than 180 degrees, then, yes, that will make it's input impedance lower. That will happen at any height, even in 'free space'. It's a very common practice.
- 'Doc

thank you beetle .
i thought a dipole needed sloped radials (aka starduster) to tune to 50 ohms .
I've never seen a dipole with radials. By definition, a dipole is a piece of wire half a wavelength overall, cut in the middle and fed at that point. It's a complete antenna by itself, and its characteristics are well enough known that the dipole can be used as a reproducible reference antenna.

Dipoles CAN be configured vertically, but if they are true dipoles as defined above and not "sleeve" dipoles, feeding them properly can be a challenge. The feedline must run straight away from the feedpoint at a right angle for a half wavelength or more to avoid coupling the outer shield surface.

Google up some pictures of dipoles. You shouldn't see any radials because they aren't needed. Or better yet, check a good antenna book.

i think booty meant that he thought a dipole cant be both straight and 50ohms but needs an angle like the starduster or it will be higher like 70ohms

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.