• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter dipole

Just a hint.
No matter what formula you use to find the length of a dipole it will never be exactly right. Count on making small adjustments in that length, called tuning. It's also a good idea to allow some extra length to start with for making connections etc. How much extra? Maybe something on the order of a foot? You'll have to tune the antenna anyway, so make it longer for convenience, you know? The only thing to remember about that length adjusting is to keep both 'sides' of that dipole the same length. Equal amounts from both sides.
There's nothing especially -exacting- about it, but it's gotta be 'close'.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

what is the best position to place my 11 meter dipole in to talk skip? i have bought one just for that reason.never had one before.thanks.:confused:

what is the best position to place my 11 meter dipole in to talk skip? i have bought one just for that reason.never had one before.thanks.:confused:

Well first off "talking skip" is going to depend on band conditions so when the band is dead it's dead. Mounting the antenna as a inverted V would be the best option. It wont be good for local rag chewing but when the band is open it should work well.

Polarity plays a big part in it. If you are interested to talking to locals then vertical polarization would be best, most people have vertical antennas. When a signal 'skips'/'bounces' then it's polarization changes to some extent, so a horizontal antenna tends to work well (but so can a vertical antenna).
So how do you know which to use? The best/easiest way of finding out is to have an antenna of both polarizations and just switch between them. See which works best.
- 'Doc

(Oh great. Now I get to worry about another antenna!)

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,