• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter Extended Double Zepp

This antenna has been brought up on the Y tube in comments here lately with one channel builder say that this antenna has no gain.
IDK. (n)

interesting however
The extended double zepp in my opinion is the best full size vertical antenna that has ever been made. It can compete with a 3 element beam in a 360 degree radius and has been known to talk over 100 + miles when groundwave propagation conditions are good. Its a beast and not for everyone. The only way to find out if it going to work for you is to build it like I did then you will see that it stands of like a search light amongst candle's.

has 11 dbi on horizontal, and around 5 dbi on the vertical if center fed.
The vertical is just as good as the horizontal and when it comes to skywave propagation conditions it doesn't matter. To many people talk down about due to area they live in after it didn't perform the way they wanted. Every geographical area is different because of the soil/height above ground.

Reactions: binrat
Wow! That was Lightning fast response!!(y) THANKS!

I'm no antenna builer but that looks like a long dipole if the world dipole applies here

Only issue I have read on this antenna is, it is very narrow in the beam width on the horizontal, so you need to aim it at who you want to talk to, even more narrow than a 4 element yagi. Being so large, it is a leave in place antenna for the most part. On the vertical full omni so no issue, but most of that great gain is gone, it models much like a standard 5/8 wave antenna, but I suspect it would do a little better, do to all that vertical wire in the air.

So if you did it vertical are the " drops" just pointed horizontally but still there?
Scratching my head how to do this with some PVC pipe

So if you did it vertical are the " drops" just pointed horizontally but still there?
Scratching my head how to do this with some PVC pipe
yes just turn the picture on its side, be hard to impossible, to do in pvc, going to need to be over 50 feet to the top and in the clear, could be rope hung from a tall tree, then a rope out for the feed. Or could be boom mounted off the side of a tower 60 inches out, and some pvc thru the tower for the feed, but not an easy one to do vertical. Take a look at the needle antenna I posted, much easier, models with the same gain, I am getting excellent results, I am running one vertical and one horizontal.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
yes just turn the picture on its side, be hard to impossible, to do in pvc, going to need to be over 50 feet to the top and in the clear, could be rope hung from a tall tree, then a rope out for the feed. Or could be boom mounted off the side of a tower 60 inches out, and some pvc thru the tower for the feed, but not an easy one to do vertical. Take a look at the needle antenna I posted, much easier, models with the same gain, I am getting excellent results, I am running one vertical and one horizontal.
It doubles the power that's put into it and because of its size it has some amazing sensitivity/selectivity depending on the transceiver being used. Alot of these antenna's aren't being built because operator's think aluminium is better.
Wire antenna's are some of the best on the circuit and can compete with any commercial made vertical/horizontal on the market. There's so many different types around if people just take the time and research/experiment/build/test.

Last edited:
It doubles the power that's put into it and because of its size it has some amazing sensitivity/selectivity depending on the transceiver being used. Alot of these antenna's aren't being built because operator's think aluminium is better.
Wire antenna's are some of the best on the circuit and can compete with any commercial made vertical/horizontal on the market. There's so many different types around if people just take the time and research/experiment/build/test.
Agreed I have built over 25 wire antennas in 24 months, Do this nearly full time. For next to nothing you can indeed build better antennas than you an buy.

Agreed I have built over 25 wire antennas in 24 months, Do this nearly full time. For next to nothing you can indeed build better antennas than you an buy.
For now I going to stay with the EDZ due already having built the HDZ which was okay but I wanted to experiment more and move up in size. The EDZ is the cats meow of vertical dipole antennas. Afterwards I will embark on something that has more gain/directivity.

Last edited:
Reactions: binrat
For now I going to stay with the EDZ due already having built the HDZ which was okay but I wanted to experiment more and move up in size. The EDZ is the cats meow of vertical dipole antennas. Afterwards I will embark on something that has more gain/directivity.
Well do post some pictures and info, I have interest in this as well for a project, I have a very huge oak tree close to 90 feet tall in my yard, so I can hang it quite easily, some large spruce as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.