• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter Extended Double Zepp

Oh boy, a 'G5RV' for 11 meters!
Is it really? No, but it has about the same appeal probably. Now all you have to do is figure a way of turning it in the right direction.

If you like playing with antennas then have at it. It will certainly work. But there's no big advantage to using one. It also has disadvantages, such as making that ladder line matching section and tuning the thing to work in your mounting situation.
- 'Doc

Hi guys, stumbled across this one today and found it interesting:

Relics: Radio communications: 11 m Band Extended Double Zeppelin

Has anyone ran a EDZ as first choice instead of a dipole? Seems easy enough to make.

RT307
I built my EDZ VERTICAL DIPOLE a couple of month's ago and decided to take it down.
Skywave/groundwave propagation conditions have been getting better lately and after doing more research I decided to put it back up.
The picture enclosed was from when I first built it.
Today I built another model but this time I did something better which give me the opportunity to listen on 160-10m/WWV and transmit on 11m.
Due to high winds I decided not to raise it but was able to make some good qso's with operator's
20-30 miles away. If you have the real estate build one so you can stand out like a search light amongst candle's.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200415-152244_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200415-152244_Chrome.jpg
    1,010.3 KB · Views: 79
...but seriously folks.
I went right past the EDZ and to a 80m OCFD that just so happens to have a soft spot in it's black heart for 11m.
Then again I had 140' ft between trees and bigger is better , right?

Over the year's I have built all kinds of wire antenna's but decided to come to the extended double zepp because I prefer vertical polarization instead of horizontal. I've heard people say smaller mounted high is better which is okay if that's what your into. I rather have a vertical that pushes the limit which this one does and has gain to boot Now that solar cycle 25 is arriving this monster is all I need without using an amplifier due not being a power freak.

Reactions: xm49north7
Over the year's I have built all kinds of wire antenna's but decided to come to the extended double zepp because I prefer vertical polarization instead of horizontal. I've heard people say smaller mounted high is better which is okay if that's what your into. I rather have a vertical that pushes the limit which this one does and has gain to boot Now that solar cycle 25 is arriving this monster is all I need without using an amplifier due not being a power freak.
So your mounting it vertical: she will be a long one at 45 feet tall, how do you plan on hanging it? I modeled it as a vertical, it gets about 5.5 dbi when vertical.

So your mounting it vertical: she will be a long one at 45 feet tall, how do you plan on hanging it? I modeled it as a vertical, it gets about 5.5 dbi when vertical.
I only use it when I want to talk other then that I keep it lowered like a tower. I live in a area that has alot of wind so I had to build it to adapt to the environment here. While other's operator's put they're antenna's up on top of tower's etc I decided to do the opposite. Even when it's lowered I'm able to make contact's with operator's 20-30 miles away even though it's at they're noise level due to having good audio gain it provides.

Reactions: xm49north7
This antenna has been brought up on the Y tube in comments here lately with one channel builder say that this antenna has no gain.
IDK. (n)

interesting however

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.