• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

Skip was rolling hot tonight for about an hour starting about 6pm CST. Talked to quite a few folks in Florida, Georgia, and S. Carolina on AM and SSB with a dx98 and an Imax 2000 5 feet off the ground leaned up against a cherry tree.

Reactions: S&W357
its 1 sided here too many screaming at same time acting like wild pigs on a radio

Skip was rolling a little for me yesterday morning. I was in the Weatherford,TX. area heading down to San Antonio. Made contacts on 22 or 21 AM to a couple of good sounding stations in Mobile,AL. It faded out within an hour or so. It was ok, I needed to pay extra attention to the slick roads anyways.

Reactions: Slowmover
Skip was rolling a little for me yesterday morning. I was in the Weatherford,TX. area heading down to San Antonio. Made contacts on 22 or 21 AM to a couple of good sounding stations in Mobile,AL. It faded out within an hour or so. It was ok, I needed to pay extra attention to the slick roads anyways.

Slick, was right. Had to beat feet outta there at o’dark-thirty this morning.

Shoulda heard all the crybabies as I passed lines of them in one stretch while they were all bunched up going 15-mph. Said I was crazy. No, I have 46,000 in the box and fresh grease on the fifth wheel with every load. My trailer doesn’t steer my rig. (Fifth wheel scraped clean every 4-6 weeks). Drives at 900-lbs (33,700) above Tandems after fuel.

Had no reason to hurry. And wasn’t. Only found one 3-mile stretch where it got squirrelly (out of 419-miles). And had made sure I was ALL ALONE at that point.

I heard more backup radios switched on today than in any two months of normal Sundays. My new radio was reaching the company buzz boxes at up to 4-miles with ease.

The BIG RADIOS I could hear at 5-7/miles per mile marker references, but those pinhole ears couldn’t hear me. (Guess I’ll need a footwarmer after all).

Missed by those turning up noses at little RM amps are the deficiencies of the other guys system. 50-150W does the job. 25-35W sometimes doesn’t. (Forget 4-12W).

I’ll say one thing about an ice storm: They be a’listenin’ foah de Word of God, then.

Last edited:
Slick, was right. Had to beat feet outta there at o’dark-thirty this morning.

Shoulda heard all the crybabies as I passed lines of them in one stretch while they were all bunched up going 15-mph. Said I was crazy. No, I have 46,000 in the box and fresh grease on the fifth wheel with every load. My trailer doesn’t steer my rig. (Fifth wheel scraped clean every 4-6 weeks). Drives at 900-lbs (33,700) above Tandems after fuel.

Had no reason to hurry. And wasn’t. Only found one 3-mile stretch where it got squirrelly (out of 419-miles). And had made sure I was ALL ALONE at that point.

I heard more backup radios switched on today than in any two months of normal Sundays. My new radio was reaching the company buzz boxes at up to 4-miles with ease.

The BIG RADIOS I could hear at 5-7/miles per mile marker references, but those pinhole ears couldn’t hear me. (Guess I’ll need a footwarmer after all).

Missed by those turning up noses at little RM amps are the deficiencies of the other guys system. 50-150W does the job. 25-35W sometimes doesn’t. (Forget 4-12W).

I’ll say one thing about an ice storm: They be a’listenin’ foah de Word of God, then.

This isn't really DX related, but since you mentioned slick roads. Slow I got the scare of my life yesterday morning in WV. The road was really better than I expected, clean for the most part, just some patches of frozen packed snow here and there. Traffic had come to a stop and thank goodness I had the forethought to leave myself enough wiggle room just incase I needed it. So while we were setting there in the middle of a 3 lane HWY I keep glancing in the review and see this semi hauling ass and closing fast, so I decided its time to scoot as he showed no sign of slowing. So I romped down on the accelerator, cut to the right crossing the outside lane, jumped up on all the frozen snow thrown on the shoulder from the plows and tore down the shoulder like we were baja racing, scaring my ride partner half to death (he had been asleep) the big truck whipped into the inside lane and went down a little farther before coming to a stop. I came to a stop after realizing everything was ok, gathered my nerves (hart was racing) and dug the seat leather out of my butt. I apologized to my partner for scaring him to death and driving the crap out of his pickup, but I told him it was a better alternative than what I thought was gonna happen, he agreed. I was gonna give that driver the one finger Oklahoma howdy if I ever caught up to him, but I never did. But as I sat there watching that big rigs stopping distance get shorter every second, visions of that Texas pileup were running through my head and I didn't want any part of that. I figured he got a good laugh out of it, but after I calmed down I was pissed.:censored::mad:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?