• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

Almost every evening I point my Quad just a little north of dead south to try for some Australian and NewZealand contacts. More often than not I don't get anything. Iguess those operators are pointing toward North america and not South America.

- J.J. 399

Not quite sure just how much you mean by a little north of dead south, but from your location to the east coast of Australia halfway between Sydney and Brisbane is 240 degrees true bearing. Not real sure what the deviation between true north and magnetic north is for you.

Reactions: Brother DXer
Good Dxing all day long until I signed off at 8pm. SoCal stations were strong(7-9S) in the afternoon. Then southern states and midwest late afternoon. Finally, Eastern Seaboard from 6pm on. Reverse to the usual pattern of East to West. One contact after another. Lotsa stations in the mud, but the ones I heard were all 5 S-units +. Fun DX day.

- J.J. 399

Conditions definitely haven't been good lately. But about 8:00pm I got a window. Between SSB and AM I made a lot of contacts with Ohio and West Virginia that lasted about 30 minutes. Conditions kept shifting so contacts were short. But ya take them as you get them.
I had that same window, making a handful of contacts in Maine and one in Florida. Had to work hard to get 'em.

Conditions have been bouncing back and forth between excellent and non-existent out here.

After the terrible conditions during the day on Sunday we ended up getting a fantastic late night opening to Australia & Hawaii that evening. I was chin wagging with 612 in New South Wales until well after midnight local time.
Yesterday we had a huge opening to New England for much of the mid-day and I made contact with a boat load of folks in New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York City etc.
A little quieter today, but California and Arizona are coming in pretty well, and Mexican stations are in very strong right now.

Saturday and most of Sunday were a wipeout, but other than that we've had conditions to some place or other every day.

Early afternoon real strong skip from East of the Mississippi. BUT . . . all the signals were distorted like my clarifier was off frequency. Checked ok. Then I heard a California station clear as a bell. so I know the problem wasn't my receiver. It was like the signals were so strong that they overloaded my receiver's front end. Turning down the RF Gain didn't help . You guys ever have this problem ??

J.J. 399

Early afternoon real strong skip from East of the Mississippi. BUT . . . all the signals were distorted like my clarifier was off frequency. Checked ok. Then I heard a California station clear as a bell. so I know the problem wasn't my receiver. It was like the signals were so strong that they overloaded my receiver's front end. Turning down the RF Gain didn't help . You guys ever have this problem ??

J.J. 399
Yes I have experienced that problem on a few occasions.

At 7pm central time, mother nature started a party! I haven't had conditions this good in a long time. I was talking from 7 until 8:30, non stop. North Carolina, up to NY and over into Central Canada and all parts in between. I started getting some short skip towards the end, Missouri, Arkansas.

Hopefully these conditions will hold out for a while.

73's

Hopefully these conditions will hold out for a while.

73's
I enjoyed the same conditions. I have never had so any California stations come booming in so clearly . I kept switcing my Amp output from LOW to HIGH to keep QSOs going. I had a Washington State connection going and was hoping I'd hear DXMAN, but no luck. I hope it's this good tomorrow.

- J.J. 399

I managed to squeeze out a Kentucky contact this morning with my DX 979, KL-200P & K-40 in my Expedition when I was in the Higher elevations of Montrose, PA. But I was shouting my Butt Off for WW DX Members to see if I could catch any of you on the air but conditions wasn't that great either. But at least I know my Expedition set up is working.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1