• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

The band was a rollin and I got to play a little radio this afternoon. Several contacts logged so it was a good day, the 2950dx6 is still kicking the cat and walking the dog on ssb.

I Keep listening for fellow Whiskey Delta X-ray members but nothing today. Now yesterday I heard the other half of a station qso with wdx-226 (Rodney) in Texas so that was cool.

Haven't been out there today really.
Been in backyard replacing rotor and trying to build replacement VQUAD and get it set up hopefully finish tomorrow.
Then once the 4 new pills get here and we do some soldering I should be back in full form. Not that a 4 pill and a VQUAD can compete with most these crazies but I might have greater chance lol

I was dxing today on 27.355 to .445. Had a lot of contacts all around the US. I heard a lot of European stations on 27.375, but let them go because of a bunch of state-side traffic trying to contact them.

Being in Colombia is a mixed blessing. Usually when I key up to answer a station's call of "CQ-DX," I get a hornet's nest of stations calling me because they want to log a South American station. Especially an operator that speaks English. But , of course, no one has any courtesy. Makes having a decent QSO almost impossible. I mostly ID as "unit 399 - Medellin Colombia." Decided to try just "unit 399." Didn't help much. So, I've been switching around until I find a quiet channel and then call "CQ-DX." Usually get a contact and have a nice long QSO. But when we sign off, and ID, the hornets are back again. So, I go back to channel-hopping.

One thing I've found out is that if both stations are on the"flat side", It's easy to have a direct pipeline hookup. My 4 element quad is set up on the flat side only. Maybe not the best for people running vertical, but lowest noise and best reception. Several times I've hooked up with another station on the flat side, and we've been able to enjoy an uninterrupted hookup. Even on 38LSB.

My 139XLR only goes up to 27.445. I can make it go higher, but power drops off fast above .465 because it's center-tuned for 27.205. I have another 139XLR on my bench and am going through it 100%, so I can take my original 139XLR offline and do a freq mod and retune. The one that I'm working on now will go to my son in Georgia. He wants to set up a base so we can talk, and I'm gonna fix him up. If anyone has a decent 500 watt base amp you're looking to sell, let me know, I can transfer the $$$ to you and you can send the amp to my son in Georgia.

The only thing I really want right now is to hookup with more forum members. The channel 16 and 40USB thing doesn't seem to be working out. Maybe our admins can figure out something else. HELP!! - Audio Shockwave !!!

SO . . . Let's make WWDX the premier forum in DX-LAND.

- 399 J.J.

Last edited:
The only thing I really want right now is to hookup with more forum members. The channel 16 and 40USB thing doesn't seem to be working out. Maybe our admins can figure out something else. HELP!! - Audio Shockwave !!!
It's up to all of you guys where you want to make contacts
I will agree that with this amount of propagation, 35-40 is a train wreck with goofballs, it like this every cycle.
If someone suggest's free band frequencies there is going to be pushback from some because technically it's out of band.
Ch 16 , I have tried several times, did manage to make some contacts, but it is a challenge to work through the AM traffic there.
Then there is the .00's ( 5 kc down) in between the standard 35- 40 , again technically not allowed....
For the members that have access to ten meters there is a whole bunch of frequency real estate up there on several different modes, but not everyone has a ticket.
Do you guys want a poll or?
Maybe @binrat has a idea?
There have been CDX(WDX) events in the past.
It helps when there is a specific date-time so everyone knows when to try like weekends.

Jeff

It's up to all of you guys where you want to make contacts
I will agree that with this amount of propagation, 35-40 is a train wreck with goofballs, it like this every cycle.
If someone suggest's free band frequencies there is going to be pushback from some because technically it's out of band.
Ch 16 , I have tried several times, did manage to make some contacts, but it is a challenge to work through the AM traffic there.
Then there is the .00's ( 5 kc down) in between the standard 35- 40 , again technically not allowed....
For the members that have access to ten meters there is a whole bunch of frequency real estate up there on several different modes, but not everyone has a ticket.
Do you guys want a poll or?
Maybe @binrat has a idea?
There have been CDX(WDX) events in the past.
It helps when there is a specific date-time so everyone knows when to try like weekends.

Jeff
It would be nice even to do something like the copper forum used to do back in the day. Had a set day and frequency and everyone just did a check in and went from there. Not too structured but quasi official for the forum.

It would be nice even to do something like the copper forum used to do back in the day. Had a set day and frequency and everyone just did a check in and went from there. Not too structured but quasi official for the forum.
That's what isn't working here so far. 16lsb doesn't cut it in this part of the world, too many AM splatter buckets bleeding into that frequency every time @binrat sets it up. The question is what's an alternate frequency that won't raise a fuss.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.