• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

Enjoyed the quick contact with WDX1863 in Pennsylvania earlier. Had to turn my beam around for him to get a good contact so conditions are beating on me. Great to hear members out there.
Great making contact with you Lonestar WDX 429 today,hope to do it again soon in the future, always good to make contact with WDX forum members out there,etc ...

73's

Well Radio Friends, pretty good day on the Radio so far,
Made contact with the following station's today so far,
061 Scotland, United Kingdom
114 Temple, Texas
WDX 429(Lonestar)
Unit 399(WDX J.J) Columbia, South America
525 South Dakota
Really enjoyed making contact with my WDX Brothers out there,
As of right now at 2:45 EST Conditions are coming and going up here in Central Pennsylvania with a little bit of qrm here and there................

73's

Had a quick contact with @unit_399 but I seem to be in a RF bubble today. WDX1863 Steve had a QSO with him no problem but I rather failed to achieve lol.
Proof positive conditions are everything lol.

Well Radio Friends, pretty good day on the Radio so far,
Made contact with the following station's today so far,
061 Scotland, United Kingdom
114 Temple, Texas
WDX 429(Lonestar)
Unit 399(WDX J.J) Columbia, South America
525 South Dakota
Really enjoyed making contact with my WDX Brothers out there,
As of right now at 2:45 EST Conditions are coming and going up here in Central Pennsylvania with a little bit of qrm here and there................

73's
So cool to finally QSO with WDX1863 American Eagle and WDX429 Lonestar Bandit. Tough conditions with typical weekend pileup. Being high up on a mountain is a mixed blessing. Helps the transmit like crazy, but also means that I pick up signals from everywhere. Pileups here are monstrous. Still, it was great to QSO with Steve and Jason after weeks of trying, even if the QSOs were just short and sweet.

- J.J. 399

Recently getting back on the air from the early 70's, my Q5NII is a great performing radio. So much so I bought a second for my 08 HEMI RAM. The NB option does a GREAT job of killing the trucks ignition noise completely and the 102 inch SS whip-WITH 6.5 inches of spring, gets me to the magic 108.5 inch 1/4 inch wavelength - CH20- with a SWR of <1.2. The base is using a 5/8 wave GP mounted at 15 feet, (purposely mounted a bit low-don't want to entice the hurricanes in East Central Florida), fed with RG8X, and the recent skip conditions have re-affirmed my decision to go with a SSB unit. I've made many contacts in a short time from Washington State to Canada. Overall, the Q5NII is a great performer and a good value....
Wild Bill - East Central Florida Coast

Attachments

• 20231213_131438.jpg
    20231213_131438.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
Recently getting back on the air from the early 70's, my Q5NII is a great performing radio. So much so I bought a second for my 08 HEMI RAM. The NB option does a GREAT job of killing the trucks ignition noise completely and the 102 inch SS whip-WITH 6.5 inches of spring, gets me to the magic 108.5 inch 1/4 inch wavelength - CH20- with a SWR of <1.2. The base is using a 5/8 wave GP mounted at 15 feet, (purposely mounted a bit low-don't want to entice the hurricanes in East Central Florida), fed with RG8X, and the recent skip conditions have re-affirmed my decision to go with a SSB unit. I've made many contacts in a short time from Washington State to Canada. Overall, the Q5NII is a great performer and a good value....
Wild Bill - East Central Florida Coast
Very nice, glad you're back in the game.

What exact 5/8 wave ground plane is that? I use the sigma version but your ground radials are longer. Just curious.
Happy DX'ing

Very nice, glad you're back in the game.

What exact 5/8 wave ground plane is that? I use the sigma version but your ground radials are longer. Just curious.
Happy DX'ing
It is the 110 buck special on the big A store. Construction seems good with screw-together sections-secured with tapped screws. For the BEST weather protection and durability, BEFORE assembly, I applied Silicone dielectric grease at ALL connections and also a small dab on the PL259 center pin and threads. Making sure that the PL259 exterior was CLEAN-91% IPA, starting at the BOTTOM of the connector on the coax, wrapped with a Scotch bi-seal tape #13 and finished the wrap just above the top of the connector contacting the SO239 antenna connector. (Starting at the bottom like laying shingles so water does not have a joint to creep in), The "mast" is 4 sections of 2 inch flagpole with 3 machine screws at the top of the inserted section with 120' degree spacing to prevent the slight "wobble" of this type slip joint. for the money it performs very well and with the extra effort to weatherproof, it "should" last a lot longer in the Florida climate rather than a "
just put it together" antenna.... SWR is FLAT with CH1 = <1.1 and CH 40 = ~1.15....

It is the 110 buck special on the big A store. Construction seems good with screw-together sections-secured with tapped screws. For the BEST weather protection and durability, BEFORE assembly, I applied Silicone dielectric grease at ALL connections and also a small dab on the PL259 center pin and threads. Making sure that the PL259 exterior was CLEAN-91% IPA, starting at the BOTTOM of the connector on the coax, wrapped with a Scotch bi-seal tape #13 and finished the wrap just above the top of the connector contacting the SO239 antenna connector. (Starting at the bottom like laying shingles so water does not have a joint to creep in), The "mast" is 4 sections of 2 inch flagpole with 3 machine screws at the top of the inserted section with 120' degree spacing to prevent the slight "wobble" of this type slip joint. for the money it performs very well and with the extra effort to weatherproof, it "should" last a lot longer in the Florida climate rather than a "
just put it together" antenna.... SWR is FLAT with CH1 = <1.1 and CH 40 = ~1.15....
NOT an advertisement, but, THIS is the big "A" identifier: ASIN - B0B3XBNSPX $109.99 VERY good performance for the money.... (AND, since living in windy- hurricane prone Florida, the $21.99 3 year "protection plan" is a good buy.... (SOME things have a habit of "failing" just **before** the warranty ends).... :)

Last edited:
Had a nice contact this afternoon with Chris, 201DA001 on Bora Bora Island in French Polynesia.....27.500 USB......
Also heard 153 division Thailand, but was unable to make the connection.
Just when you think conditions are on the slide, you discover they're not !

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.