• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

Yes, all with the 5555n2 ! Paired with the Palomar 200.
Fantastic radio ! I still can't believe how good the receive audio is on it !
How is it for turning down the dead key on that radio for pairing with a KL-503 P ? Is it external adjustment or only internal ?

Last edited:
How is it for turning down the dead key on that radio for pairing with a KL-503 P ? Is it external adjustment or only internal ?
Minimum power from the radio on AM is about 1.3 watts, if you want it lower than that you would probably have to go into the service menu to do it.
My 5555Nii drives a Palomar 200 fine at min power; there is still some swing and the couple AM stations I talked to both said the audio was fine. YMMV.

Reactions: snippits75
Went down to the shack at about 10pm to disconect my antenna.
Fired up the Old Cobra and every channel was dead except 37 (27.375) . At first I only heard 2 stations talking. They went on and on, so I finally called "CQ-DX." Man did I open up a hornet's nest. It felt like the whole world was coming back to me. It's amazing how many people are copying the mail late at night. I talked to multiple stations in Indiana, Ohio, Mississippi, Wisconsin, North and South Carolina, Alabama, and Georgia. Could have talked to many more. I was really impressed with 3 stations In particular: 161, Dennis, N. Carolina, Triple 7 Ohio, and 626 in Georgia. They were the loudest (and cleanest) of the bunch and were all running Anytone 5555N2s. Those rigs just plain kick-ass. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if only they made a base station. A mobile unit on a power supply just don't cut it for me. 808 said they promised sometime this year, but I wish they'd hurry up.

-J.J. 399

Good conditions here the last couple days but haven't had a lot of radio time. I did have a great QSO with 886 Alaska on 26.805 FM this afternoon. Sounding like he was just down the road from me !
Eastern Russia was in strong last night on the uppers, along with lots of Indonesian stations and a couple from Japan.

Loving my new 5555Nii..... my poor old Kenwood is feeling really left out........

Around 2:00 PM est., static got very loud on my radio. Did not matter which way I turned my beam.

Did have better conditions in the morning though. Logged Russia and Qatar which is rare for me. There was a Turkish station that I could hear good 5/6, but the European operators created a huge pileup that were 5/9+ to the Turkish operator, so I did not even try. Good day all in all.

Commute home was quite the pileup and lots of noise at the same time. Called cq and got replies but it was just too rough for a qso. Stations telling me I sounded like a local but it was sure tough to bring them in.

But I'm thankful we have conditions, just a couple of years back and it was desolate, static for months....

Not much to report from here today. Backed the car from the garage to the driveway and let the whip loose, some weak stations and I couldn't seem to be heard. Cinched down the whip and put the car back up. It's Surprising considering the way it's been lately.

Haven't had too much time for Dxin' this past week. My trusty Toyota Hilux blew a head gasket, and since I wasn't close to Medellin I was forced to tear it down and fix it myself. Since I was tearing it down, I decided to replace the leaky front crankshaft seal and the timing chain. Sent the head off to have it resurfaced, and the valves ground. While I'm waiting for the head to come back from Medellin, I got in some much-needed radio time.

Yesterday was pretty strange. Instead of the usual loud 1000+ station pileup, all I heard were staions so deep in the "mud" that I couldn't pull anyone out. I called CQ-Dx but no reply. Turned my amp up to the max, and tried again. Whiskey Charlie One - HANK ,Miami came back. S9+. We talked uninterrupted for several minutes until 45 DEREK - Tallahassee called QSK. Then 171 Upstate New York and 66 Davenport Iowa joined in. It was like we were talking local. It was so clear that I could hear their room ambience. Luz called me up for lunch, and when I came back every channel was completely dead. Strange . . . but really enjoyable. Today, it was back to the same old pileup.

I read where there was a massive coronal hole on the sun facing earth. Maybe it was the cause for the strange conditions. Whatever, I hope it happens again because I haven't enjoyed radioin' like that in a long time.

- J.J. 399

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.