• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter ssb question

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
Been into 11 meters for a while but not so much with SSB because back in the day I couldn't afford a side band radio. So got to wondering about realistic range you could expect to talk on a SSB channel running Barefoot or just 12 watts. Of coarse I live in N/E PA so it is very full of Hill & Dale so I wouldn't expect as much range as a Flat Lander might achieve but a rough idea is better than none. And of coarse I'm talking with No Skip conditions. Thanks in advance !

Reliably, 25 miles.

Thats about what I get from my mobile, and I live in an area with many hills and trees. My base station can work about 30-35 miles depending on how noisy the power lines are. There are even a couple stations situated in good spots that I can work about 80% of the time that are about 70 miles out, but don't expect that.

I think your hills might be bigger than mine though. The highest hills around here are about 1500' and our swamps sit at about 1350'.

Reactions: whiteastro
Thanks and that sounds realistic and most of my family and friends live with in that sort of range. now all I have to do is gettem set up or at least one so we can test radios. happy DXing

Where you at?
Talmoon MN.

The base of my sirio sits at 1485'. When I talk to my friend in Grand Rapids at 1300' (he only has a mobile), I struggle to hear him, but I can still tell its him, and sometimes even have a conversation with him if the noise is low enough. That path crosses the Soumi Hills and the Laurentian Divide (something like 1550'). When he gets closer to the hills and into them, I can hear him like he is sitting in my driveway, even though its through all those hills 20 miles away. Even in the low spots between the hills, the signals are fairly good.

If you want to see those hills, there is a video on youtube where a guy rides his motorcycle through them. They are nothing like your hills though. The laurentian divide is at 8:20.

Nice video and pretty area what I seen of it. They call it the Endless Mountain region around here but it is actually Endless Rolling Hills compared to the Mountains out west. If you get to the top of a hill as far as your eyes can see is more mountains and bigger ones in all directions. about 10 miles from my house is Elk Mountain ( 2600+ ft ) but I think my house is at about 1100 ft and I'm about a third the way up in a valley which is narrow and impedes my radio ability. But there is something about these hills that cling to you, just wish I had a little 1 or 2 man helicopter so I could short cut and sight see. LOL

Reactions: brandon7861
Nice video and pretty area what I seen of it. They call it the Endless Mountain region around here but it is actually Endless Rolling Hills compared to the Mountains out west. If you get to the top of a hill as far as your eyes can see is more mountains and bigger ones in all directions. about 10 miles from my house is Elk Mountain ( 2600+ ft ) but I think my house is at about 1100 ft and I'm about a third the way up in a valley which is narrow and impedes my radio ability. But there is something about these hills that cling to you, just wish I had a little 1 or 2 man helicopter so I could short cut and sight see. LOL
I took a look at NE PA online, absolutely beautiful! I've only been to 6 states and have never seen the mountains or an ocean. It has only gotten flatter, drier and more open the further out I have been, so I think highly of my little spot in the woods. PA looks like a place I would really enjoy visiting!

Flying would be fun. I have always wanted to build my own fixed wing ultralight. Im sure that will be illegal fairly soon with these drone-style bikes coming out.

Reactions: whiteastro
In my younger years I drove from coast to coast and seen a lot of beauty in our country. I rode my motorcycle up Big Bear Mountain ( Approx. 10,000 ft ) outside San Bernardino Cally. and a mountain next to ForestRunner in Cally But can't remember the height, too long ago. But if you like Hills, Trees and lots of green with Wild life This area will draw the Nomad back home. I'd like to see Virginia,Kentucky,& the state of Maine before I cash it in. But this time I'll have a CB by my side as I travel. Break Breaker 19 PS I did hitch hike from Springfield ILL. once to Wisconsin to see a old Air Force buddy and back, met a lot of nice people along the way. I wouldn't dream of that today. LOL

In my younger years I drove from coast to coast and seen a lot of beauty in our country. I rode my motorcycle up Big Bear Mountain ( Approx. 10,000 ft ) outside San Bernardino Cally. and a mountain next to ForestRunner in Cally But can't remember the height, too long ago. But if you like Hills, Trees and lots of green with Wild life This area will draw the Nomad back home. I'd like to see Virginia,Kentucky,& the state of Maine before I cash it in. But this time I'll have a CB by my side as I travel. Break Breaker 19 PS I did hitch hike from Springfield ILL. once to Wisconsin to see a old Air Force buddy and back, met a lot of nice people along the way. I wouldn't dream of that today. LOL
The mountain near me is Mt. Wilson. It’s not as high as Big Bear or Mt Baldy but it’s little over 5k feet. All of LA Co’s TV and communication antennas are on that peak. Beautiful views of the basin all the way to the coast!!

The mountain near me is Mt. Wilson. It’s not as high as Big Bear or Mt Baldy but it’s little over 5k feet. All of LA Co’s TV and communication antennas are on that peak. Beautiful views of the basin all the way to the coast!!
Yeah it was a nice ride and drag raced a car down the mountain on my motorcycle when I was young and dumb. You have a different kind of beauty out there. It's there to see if a guy is looking and is open minded.

Reactions: ForestRunner98
Elevation is interesting to me. Driving around the country watching a gps with elevation showing.
I'm around 1025 with hills on more than half way around me, 1400 to 1500+
and it rough getting out over that side.
I get it!
Edit: the other direction my signal scoots normal, a lot better.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.