• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

110v VS 220v

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
How much power do you loose when running on 110v ?

My AL811 barely gets 500 watts out on 110v, I need to get a 220 line run to the radio room. Does it really make that much of a difference or do I have something else going on with the amp.

Craig

A good indicator is to watch your plate voltage meter and see how much it drops when transmitting. The actual voltage drop depends on the size of wire running to the outlet, although it should be a minimum of 14 ga. for a standard 15 amp outlet, as well as the length of wire run and the actual AC voltage available at the outlet. In almost all cases amps do run better on 220 volts as the wire is a minimum of 12 ga. and the current draw is half that when run on 120 volts which results in a much lower voltage drop at the input to the amp.

How much power do you loose when running on 110v ?

My AL811 barely gets 500 watts out on 110v, I need to get a 220 line run to the radio room. Does it really make that much of a difference or do I have something else going on with the amp.

Craig

A lot.

The same thing happens with 110v welders when you try to run them off an extension cord, or off an overburdened circuit. Suddenly, your bead has no penetration.

If I had my choice, I'd have a separate box in the radio room, with a transfer switch so I can run a generator.

But yes, do a menards/lowes/home depot run, and go get some 12-4 or 10-4!

I have a pair of 220 volt outlets in my shack as well, 20 amps each I believe. Total wire run to the electrical entrance is about 10 feet. The electrical panel in the basement is directly below the shack. (y)

I have a little edge. My operating position is directly behind the breaker panel. So far I gotta 50 amp outlet and a 30 amp. (So far)....I used 110V on my SB-220 until I put my Fluke meter in line with the A/C and saw the voltage sag using the old house wiring. Now when I get something put together that can utilize that 50 amp outlet...........:LOL:

I get 600 out of my AL811 with my 110 outlet but I am getting 128 volts from my outlets not 110, I had it tested and they told me 128 is fine and will not hurt anything.

I still want to run a 220 volt line to the shack for the amp.

w1med, go ahead and run a 220 line, you will be happy you did.

AP

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.