• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

12 volt power supply

earthwater

Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2011
maine
hi all
need some professional advice on a 12 volt power supply for my kenwood
v71a radio so i can have it available to use in my shack.
i am going to use just the radio not other gadgets with the power supply.

The V71 draws less than 13 amps on high power. A 15 amp power supply will get the job done, but you can get a 20 amp unit for not much more, giving you a little breathing room.

I use an inexpensive and readily available "Pyramid" regulated power supply and have run it all the way up to it's 35a "peak" limit (amplifier on) with no ill effects.

Ya know, I just read somewhere that someone was looking for such a power supply. What would you be asking for it?

Here's a fairly smart way of deciding what size power supply you might need. Round the required current draw(s) to the next higher number divisible by '5'. So that 13 amps then becomes 15 amp. If there's ever going to be more than one radio connected to that power supply, do that for all of them, then add them to get a total. That total has a 'built-in' 'fudge' or 'safety' factor which isn't a "forget about it" thingy at all, it will always pay off.
That total current requirement won't be the typical advertised rating for a power supply which is the Intermittent Current Supply (ICS) or the 'surge' supply rating. But it'll do that all day long. Look for the Constant Current Supply (CCS) rating which will always be smaller than that advertised rating. That's the smallest supply you can get by with without working the thing too hard.
That 20 amp supply should do just dandy, the 15 amp supply is marginal at best.
- 'Doc

(If you have 'deep pockets' get the biggest @#$ power supply you can find. You'll always find something else you wish you could add to the one you get. 'Over-kill'? Nope. You may not need it, but it's there if you do.)

Here's a fairly smart way of deciding what size power supply you might need. Round the required current draw(s) to the next higher number divisible by '5'. So that 13 amps then becomes 15 amp. If there's ever going to be more than one radio connected to that power supply, do that for all of them, then add them to get a total. That total has a 'built-in' 'fudge' or 'safety' factor which isn't a "forget about it" thingy at all, it will always pay off.
That total current requirement won't be the typical advertised rating for a power supply which is the Intermittent Current Supply (ICS) or the 'surge' supply rating. But it'll do that all day long. Look for the Constant Current Supply (CCS) rating which will always be smaller than that advertised rating. That's the smallest supply you can get by with without working the thing too hard.
That 20 amp supply should do just dandy, the 15 amp supply is marginal at best.
- 'Doc

(If you have 'deep pockets' get the biggest @#$ power supply you can find. You'll always find something else you wish you could add to the one you get. 'Over-kill'? Nope. You may not need it, but it's there if you do.)

Hey Doc., when did they change ICS to mean Intermittent Current Supply from Intermittent Commercial Service (or ICAS Intermittent Commercial and Amateur Service) ? Was it about the same time they changed CCS to Constant Current Supply from Continuous Commercial Service? :D

If so I must have missed it. ;)

thanks for the replies:)
now time to search for the 20 amp power supply.
i am thinking about a bigger supply thanks W5LZ
but a little later in my growth in radio understanding.
so for now a 20 amp will do.
so pyramid is a good brand you say ,acidrod ? that i will
look for as i shop as well as Astron RS-20A that mackmobile43
mentioned,that he has for sale ,what is $$$$ you looking to get
for the Astron RS-20A with shipping mackmobile43.
again thanks everyone and thanks for the education W5LZ.

thanks for the replies:)
now time to search for the 20 amp power supply.
i am thinking about a bigger supply thanks W5LZ
but a little later in my growth in radio understanding.
so for now a 20 amp will do.
so pyramid is a good brand you say ,acidrod ? that i will
look for as i shop as well as Astron RS-20A that mackmobile43
mentioned,that he has for sale ,what is $$$$ you looking to get
for the Astron RS-20A with shipping mackmobile43.
again thanks everyone and thanks for the education W5LZ.

$40 + actual shipping cost USPS, you make the call on parcel post or Priority.

Paypal goes and money order shipped when received. Weighs 18 lbs before packing so figure

C.K.,
So I goofed again. This whole day has been like that. Got called back to work (day off), got inspected by the district manager unexpectedly, didn't get my afternoon break. And to top it all off, gasoline went up 12 cents today and the @#$ coffee pot quit! I knew I should never have answered the phone...
- 'Doc

(My version of ICS/CCS makes more sense!)

C.K.,
So I goofed again. This whole day has been like that. Got called back to work (day off), got inspected by the district manager unexpectedly, didn't get my afternoon break. And to top it all off, gasoline went up 12 cents today and the @#$ coffee pot quit! I knew I should never have answered the phone...
- 'Doc

(My version of ICS/CCS makes more sense!)

Just yanking yer chain Doc. I've had a shitty day myself. Started at 4:30 this morning when wood gas from too low a fire and too much wood built up in the furnace and then ignited when the draft opened blowing the furnace pipe off the wall spewing massive amounts of smoke into the basement. It blew so hard it blew the cleanout door open and blew the cap off the cleanout pipe as well.Gotta love waking up to a smoke detector and then finding the basement full of smoke. No fire so I was able to handle it myself, well along with a petrified wife. The rest of the day didnt get much better with he kids at home and me with a massive headache mostly from the 4:30 event.Gas went up here too and we just got the first power bill of the new year. Yep, it went up another 11%. :headbang I just needed someone to pick on and you won (lost) the draw. :laugh:

$40 + actual shipping cost USPS, you make the call on parcel post or Priority.

Paypal goes and money order shipped when received. Weighs 18 lbs before packing so figure

i would do paypal, parcel post.
i am in fryeburg,maine.no rush on time
if the shipping is reasonable:tongue:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.