• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

148 gtl philly deadkey wattage swr ?

chassis221

Feb 7, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
ive been dealing with a 2.2 swr and tryed a new antenna and still getting high swr? will a high deadkey wattage create a higher deadkey swr? I read someplace that i should try a regular radio and see if swr goes down. is this true? my dead key wattage sems to be very high..at least on the watt meter im using astatic 600watt scale. it show me at about 12watts dead key on AM? ive heard this is too high or not possible? for a deadkey wattage for my 148? thanks guys!
jim

you should not see much more then a 5 watt DK on that 148 . VR10 should help you to turn it down to 5 . SWR ? that's kind of yes and no , get the dk down then check it , IM guessing it will still be on the high side but it should come down a little , then it would be about tuning the antenna one way or the other. But the 12 watt DK you have now , is way to much and that fine radio won't last too long being set there.

SWR is really the ratio of reflected power to forward power. The ratio is the same regardless of output (unless your output is a few kilowatts and you set fire to the antenna). Typical SWR meters have a calibration control that you're supposed to set before taking an SWR reading. You need to set that calibration control each time, particularly as you raise or lower the radio's output power.

There are some SWR meters that can auto-calibrate themselves (the one built into my Kenwood TS-850 is like that), but I don't know if you have one of those.

If your meter has an "SWR/CAL" switch on it, key up the radio, set the switch to "CAL" and then adjust the calibration knob until the needle is sitting exactly at the end of the meter range. Then set the switch to "SWR" to see the actual SWR reading. If you were to, say, lower the radio's output from 5 watts to 2, the needle won't deflect as far when the meter is in CAL mode. You'll need to adjust the calibration knob again to bring it back to the end of the meter range before the SWR setting shows an accurate reading again. It should be the same as it was for 5 watts.

There's usually a minimum amount of forward power required in order to get the needle to reach the calibration point. The ones from Radio Shack are designed for CB radios, so they'll work ok with 4 watts of output. Others may require a bit more. (I have a Kenwood SWR/power meter that needs about 15 watts in order to take an accurate SWR reading.)

-Bill

12 watts dead key from a Philly 148gtl???????? What great tech did that?

Boy... that post is a lot of help.

Chassis 121 -

are you using the swr meter in the 148 ?? If so, use an external meter and check again. If it's still high, post again, and other possible solutions will be posted. Good luck.

Boy... that post is a lot of help.

Chassis 121 -

are you using the swr meter in the 148 ?? If so, use an external meter and check again. If it's still high, post again, and other possible solutions will be posted. Good luck.

Well if you don't think the thread starter needs to address the 12 watt dead key on AM..........maybe you need a lesson on CB radio too.

I don't think you are going to get a very accurate reading on the 600 watt scale with a cb radio. If the radio is set up correctly using an average reading meter the 5 watt scale would be the one to use. If the meter is pep then you would probably have to be on the 50 watt scale.
If it is dead keying over 4.2 watts then you will not get forward swing on an average reading watt meter in general. I have six of these radios and that has been the case for all of them.

I don't think you are going to get a very accurate reading on the 600 watt scale with a cb radio. If the radio is set up correctly using an average reading meter the 5 watt scale would be the one to use. If the meter is pep then you would probably have to be on the 50 watt scale.
If it is dead keying over 4.2 watts then you will not get forward swing on an average reading watt meter in general. I have six of these radios and that has been the case for all of them.

All my side mic 148s and grants with variable power swing to 10 watts (Bird 43) no matter where you set the key. They have an NPC mod and are volted too......been running them like that for 7 years and never blew a 1969.
With a standard peak and tune you are pretty close about the 4.2 watts but I would say more like 5.

huh!

IF you are the same guy that was asking about the 148 and 600 prior to this post..well simply put, you got problems! 12 watt deadkey also swinging to 28 watts with kicker on! meter is bad or lack of knowledge on operating the equipment, no offense. Try a different meter just for giggles..cya

IF you are the same guy that was asking about the 148 and 600 prior to this post..well simply put, you got problems! 12 watt deadkey also swinging to 28 watts with kicker on! meter is bad or lack of knowledge on operating the equipment, no offense. Try a different meter just for giggles..cya

When you are selling an amp or radio bring a Dosy.........when you are buying bring a Bird 43.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.