• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

148 GTL Rebuild, need help

You need to find the test points (from the link I posed earlier for CBTricks/148GTL) and start by checking the VCO voltage and then check the 10.240mhz reference oscillator crystal. You are going to need a scope and a freq counter for the rest of the adjustments.

ok... update time:
when I turn on the radio its in "10 meter mode" (mind you, it was never converted to go up into 10 meter, this is just what I call it because its up in those frequencies) and channels above 30 are very quiet (i was able to hear some CW on channel 12, which was 28.035MHz aswell)
I measured the VCO voltages and they were all good until pin 5, which is supposed to be 3.4ish, and is up around 6.1
If i slightly touch pin 7 of the 8719 pll it slips into "one frequency mode" (all channels are on frequncy 27.577)
in this mode I took the VCO voltages, and theyre all good.
however, if i touch pin 6 of the vco it slips back into "10 meter mode" until i touch pin 7 of the pll again.
Any ideas? Bad chips? Caps? Both? where should i check now? My plan is to replace all the electrolytics and go from there.
BTW the cap right next to the VCO IC is practically glued to it with a brownish substance. Should it be like that, or did it bust? Its been like that even when the radio still kinda worked (back when it only had the Voltage regulator issues)
Thanks much for bearing with me.
Ohh yeah, anyone got any leads on where to get the small inner knobs? I need one, and i'd like to get one or 2 extras (the little ones that go on the volume and rf gain) Thanks again

Last edited:
My Frankenstein 148GTL

I bought one of these at a flea market for 30 bucks, really beat up, had holes drilled in it and dirty! :oops: More I thought about it the more I though I should have spent the money on a few six packs! :whistle:
Stuck with it now so I dug into it.... :bdh: First thing I found was the RF / SWR switch was taped up and tucked inside, in it's place was a crystal switch for additional channels. Also a multi-beep tricked Roger beep, cracked and chipped IF can adjustments, broken S meter, Segments out on the display, holes drilled into the face top right through the plastic and for what reason I'll never figure out!
I striped it down and dug out my junker rigs, a 148 in nice condition, an older grant and a few other rigs all to donate parts to this restoration in progress. The 148 donated replacement IF slug and one IF can from the output stage and a good meter, not to mention the face plate and covers. Removed the channel mod and reinstalled the RF / SWR switch. A few more slugs from the grant including rear panel external sockets for the speaker.
Me thinks the so called "golden screwdriver" person most likely used a rusty screwdriver! :headbang After about a good spin of the minute hand, say five.... I was able to power the 148 up and fount it could transmit but weakly and the receive was poor. I also found it was way off frequency and the open clarifier was not tracking between RX and TX.... To make this long story a bit shorter....
I think I have about 15 hours of restoration and tune-up into the 148 but it did turn out well! If I did not have spares for the various needs of this "beat up" rig I could not have done it! Still not have figures out the voice lock mod as it is so different!
So I named it Frankenstein as it was brought to life with many parts but with out the bolt through the neck! Was it worth it? Absolutely! :D

73 Rod

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.