• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

148GTL-D

Holydvr

Tony (The Flasher) 1776 NW Arizona
Nov 2, 2018
Golden Valley, AZ
Hello,

I am not a huge fan of the chinese radios, but this one was given to me. It transmits and receives quite well overall, but the problem I have with it is a bit odd. The channel selector does not affect transmit freq at all. And, I noticed when adjusting the VCO it acts like a VFO. The radio never loses lock and I was seeing it vary from 10m freqs all the way down around 10mhz. The radio never loses lock it seems. Of course the power out and receive drops off as expected into the dummy load. I was just wondering if anyone had ever run into this? The only thing I did notice is this radio is fitted with a socket for the PLL chip and has a Fujitsu MB8719 installed.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but when the "D" version of the Cobra 148 arrived, we stopped recommending that model. Had more kinds of trouble from it than most any production radio. Never could get sideband transmit to sound right on it.

The Fujitsu PLL chip may or may not be compatible with this production version of the radio. It would have been built with a 'clone' chip from a chinese vendor, usually marked "RCI". We have had trouble mixing the older PLL chip with newer radios.

Reactions: igmo and Holydvr

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.