• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

148gtl, low modulation!!!!!!!!!!!, ebay scam

wildbilly

Sep 20, 2005
i just bought a 148gtl off a guy on ebay he said it worked great , but only puts out 8 watts of power, it sounds like when other people hear me talking i,m 10 miles away but i,m only 50 feet away , so i changed finals and driver but only 2 watt increase any help would be helpful

I'm no tech but try the simple stuff first, like make sure the mic gain is cranked up and try a diferent mic. 8-10 watts on an untuned 148 or a self tuned radio is probably about right. I had a Grant xl that had a basic tune and did 14 on AM and 18 SSB.

wildbilly said:
i just bought a 148gtl off a guy on ebay he said it worked great , but only puts out 8 watts of power, it sounds like when other people hear me talking i,m 10 miles away but i,m only 50 feet away , so i changed finals and driver but only 2 watt increase any help would be helpful

I am just wondering by chance if it was bestresaleforyou that sold you that radio. I got burned on a SuperStar 360 FM/AM/USB/LSB/CW CB Radio that was a complete piece of $h1t. It is at Doc's right now being unbutchered. bestresaleforyou talks an excellent game in his descriptions, But the way he describes them is a dream and truthfully they are a nightmare. Stay away from bestresaleforyou!

If mod is low, (I'll get hell for this), unsolder one leg of R131. You don't have to overmod, you just have total control with the mic gain. The radios like yours I've done this with, work better with a noise cancelling mic. You just can't go full right with the gain. 12:00 usually works.

Yes, I think in the end the radio will need to be fixed, I was trying to hold on that maybe it was a simple control setting or mic issue.

Wildbilly, I think every used radio I bought I had to have something re-tuned on it. You might as well just send it to Justin and let him go through it. From what I have seen he has a very cool mosfet front end mod for 148's & Grants that will let you hear a Gnat f@rt at 15 miles.

2M Guy said:
If mod is low, (I'll get hell for this), unsolder one leg of R131. You don't have to overmod, you just have total control with the mic gain. The radios like yours I've done this with, work better with a noise cancelling mic. You just can't go full right with the gain. 12:00 usually works.

You're correct, you're gonna catch hell for that, lol! The method you suggest will work, ASSUMING someone hasn't done a PPE mod. If they have, it won't make any difference. Chances are that someone already butchered it at R131 anyway.

Now to give you hell. By cutting R131, you do get full control over the mic gain, but no human alive can rotate the knob fast enough and to exactly the right positions to compensate for the shifting voice levels that occur several times a second as you speak. Normal speech, with just a few words, will have large volume shifts from the difference in vowel and consenant sounds, as well as the difference between vowels of different types. Long E sounds are alot lower in volume than an "aaaah" sound, for just one example. The AMC circuit can adjust itself quite literally on demand, negating the need for superman. If you cut R131 and want to keep overmodulation out of the radio, you have to turn it down below the point where your loudest sound goes into clipping, which means most of your audio will be below, and alot of it well below, the 100% point. Leaving the AMC intact and adjusted correctly, and keeping a high mic gain level, yields a much higher average modulation %-age.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    No conditions woodstown NJ.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place