• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base 15 lbs. Beam antenna rotor input/info

Retro CB Guy

Jun 22, 2014
Hi folks, I have a Maco Y-Quad beam which papers with it says it weighs 15 lbs. and it's currently on a very nice tower setup with a Channel Master rotor setup model CM9521HD...

I bought the Rotor setup back in 2018 and it's performed well for me except in cold weather, it's not wanting
to turn, and I don't turn my antenna excessively ever, just occasionally for the most part. According to CM website, they rate the temp range well below what I'm having trouble with. I reached out to the company, and
they give me a laundry list of things to check which is all find and dandy overall.

However, all said and done, I'm considering getting another rotor box setup - hence me posting this here! Just this rotor box is becoming more and more aggrevating as I have to resync the antenna direction too alot of times because it may turn some when it's like 40 degrees or so and colder as it freezes up.

Back in the day (decades ago) I used to run a AR-40 rotor setup, but that price has shot waaaaaaaay up it seems. I'm considering something more reliable in cold weather but doesn't cost hundreds of $$$...

Coppers sells this one and no reviews, anybody in the know on this one?

https://www.copperelectronics.com/c...arch=rotor&description=true&sub_category=true

So I thought I'd throw this thread out there, as I couldn't find any here thanks, Retro

NOTE: A strong storm or power failure may cause the rotator to change position. Use the INITIAL button to re-synchronize the system. If this reset procedure doesn’t get the desired results, the antenna of driver motor may be misaligned on the antenna mast. You can either go to the antenna and re-orient it or program the control unit to correspond to the new antenna orientation.

Note: Use no more than 3 feet of antenna mast between the rotor and the antenna itself.

INFO Quoted from OWNER's Manual!!!

I can attest these change position in a small breeze.
Retro: The key to rotor size is the Square Foot wind load, not the overall weight of the antenna.
You will not find this spec on any data sheet for these types of rotors. (Liability and China made/designed) they simply won't put that out.
(Your antenna rated at 3.7 sq. ft.)
The RCA/Channel Master/Philips etc. etc. are all made in same location in China, just different label and remote housing.
I will say this having had 2 (over about 10 years), on my YAGI style TV antenna.
I got tired of the constant going outside checking where pointed in Ind.
These type rotors do not have a brake assembly.
When I put up my new over the air TV antenna tower, then installing a 15-foot boom Winegard, for new band pack UHF channels.
I purchased a Yaesu 450 rotor. (y):D
IMHO, I'll never use that type of light duty rotor again, maybe a flat panel (in town TV antenna) but never for Yagi style again. Certainly not a Dual polarity antenna that requires 5-10 mast above rotor to clear the tower. (Even with a good thrust bearing).
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

PS: That rotors normal cost, you'll find at Home Depot/Lowes normally in stock for less $$$...Amazon I have seen for at least $20+ less.
Good Luck

CDE/Hygain AR-40 Rotor & Control - rated at 3 sq ft. wind load, mechanical disc brake, light duty.

Hy-Gain AR-40 Hy-Gain AR-40 Light Duty Rotator with Controller Combos | DX Engineering

Best practice IMHO is using a rotor AT Least Rated 150% over your antenna size.
Here in the Mid-West (Indiana), where about every other T-Storm has 60 mph wind speeds, add ice storms etc... I rest my case.

AR-40 HYGAIN AR40 LIGHT DUTY FM/TV/VHF/UHF ROTATOR 3sq.ft. 110Vac (rlham.com)

G-450A YAESU G450A 10 SQ FT ROTOR (rlham.com)

GS-050 YAESU GS050 50mm THRUST BEARING (MAST DIAMETER 1-1/4" - 2") (rlham.com)

FS: Nice CDE/Hy-Gain CD-45II Rotator
excellent condition good as new
with all the hardware included
recent service and refurbished
brand-new ball bearings
fresh oem premium lube
SS screws terminal strip
with control box and
operation user manual
List price NEW is $520
Sell for $235 + ship
Email for more info
Thanks!
Listing #1564902 - Submitted on 11/15/21 by Callsign W7KD, Modified on 12/06/21 -

QTH.COM Ham Radio Classified Ads: ROTATORS - Swap amateur radio HF VHF equipment buy sell trade on line

QTH.COM Ham Radio Classified Ads: Ad# 1567400 - Swap amateur radio HF VHF equipment buy sell trade on line

QTH.COM Ham Radio Classified Ads: Ad# 1567209 - Swap amateur radio HF VHF equipment buy sell trade on line
For sale Yaesu G-450A

excellent condition good as new
with all the hardware included
recent service and refurbished
brand-new ball bearings
fresh oem premium lube
SS screws terminal strip
with control box and
operation user manual
List price NEW is $520
Sell for $235 + ship
Email for more info
Thanks!
Listing #1564902 - Submitted on 11/15/21 by Callsign W7KD, Modified on 12/06/21 -

QTH.COM Ham Radio Classified Ads: ROTATORS - Swap amateur radio HF VHF equipment buy sell trade on line

QTH.COM Ham Radio Classified Ads: Ad# 1567400 - Swap amateur radio HF VHF equipment buy sell trade on line

QTH.COM Ham Radio Classified Ads: Ad# 1567209 - Swap amateur radio HF VHF equipment buy sell trade on line
For sale Yaesu G-450A

The CD-45 would be a great rotator for the job. Lots of overkill without being ridiculous. My Yaesu G-2800DXA however would be ridiculous overkill for it. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Retro CB Guy
Thanks to ALL who has responded so far, very very much appriciated !

Running with this info and doing some more research and looking at the ads.

I'll be back with more 73, Retro

Great rotator. I have one, but it is not in use now. No I am NOT selling it. LOL I used a CD-44 for MANY years with a three element tribander for 10/15/20m, a six element 6m yagi, and an 11 element 2m yagi on a 40 foot tower. It was actually overloaded according to specs but lasted for years until tree growth encroached into the turning radius of my antennas and I broke a ring gear one day. I have the replacement ring gear somewhere in my stash and one day I will eventually repair it.

Great rotator. I have one, but it is not in use now. No I am NOT selling it. LOL I used a CD-44 for MANY years with a three element tribander for 10/15/20m, a six element 6m yagi, and an 11 element 2m yagi on a 40 foot tower. It was actually overloaded according to specs but lasted for years until tree growth encroached into the turning radius of my antennas and I broke a ring gear one day. I have the replacement ring gear somewhere in my stash and one day I will eventually repair it.

Thank you kindly sir !

I just went outside and took a picture of my set up on the tower...

Retro

Attachments

• 20211223_153858.jpg
    20211223_153858.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
Well I went outside after trying to turn the antenna again, thinking since it's warmer out it may turn, and bygolly it did like normal - go figure LOL...

Soooooo yeah the temperature thing on this one is kinda silly. Now it's 54 degrees here !

So I'll hold off for now somewhat but meanwhile if I find a great deal and the seller is awesome I probably will go ahead and buy one to be on stand by...

I'm still open to options so feel free to comment here and share your experience in relation to my situation.

73's, Retro

Those bell style Hygain CDE 44-45 or Ham 2 rotors are hard to beat for what you want to do. The Yaesu rotors are good rotors only drawback if you need repairs can be a problem to get parts or repaired.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.