• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

16 Transistor Amp Plans (2SC2879)

Jan 18, 2017
Central KY
im looking for some plans. ive never built one before and id like to give it a shot. i know that it can be pretty intensive when it comes to tuning and biasing. but ive gotta start somewhere. the reason i say 2SC2879's is because i already have 16 of them along with a 450 amp power supply. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

You know if you do it like most your efficiency is going to drop with each additional pair due to matching issues. The impedance bumps on most of those large builds tends to be terrible as well. I have not built anything like that from scratch but I have seen a ton of them fail in short order and it is almost always more of the same! What you need to do is model it on a known commercial grade amplifier at the very least.

I have a copy I bought a few years ago and it covers 2 pill through 16 pill. it is too large to send in a email since it is about 350MB in size. I have never been able to pull just one file out of it. it has good pics and all the schematics to do any amp. I bought it a few years ago and never even tried to build one do to the pills being so costly. if I can figure out how to pull just one out I will let you know. I paid about 30.00 for it on a disk years ago. so now days it would be even higher in price.

I have a copy I bought a few years ago and it covers 2 pill through 16 pill. it is too large to send in a email since it is about 350MB in size. I have never been able to pull just one file out of it. it has good pics and all the schematics to do any amp. I bought it a few years ago and never even tried to build one do to the pills being so costly. if I can figure out how to pull just one out I will let you know. I paid about 30.00 for it on a disk years ago. so now days it would be even higher in price.
I'm going to guess its a PDF. Just open document and output selected pages into another PDF. Or, if you are willing to share, you can upload it to Google Drive or Microsoft's Skydrive (or what ever its called these days) or many other cloud services (FREE) and provide a link to it.

EDIT: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/17787/skydrive-to-onedrive

Last edited:
mike the last time I shared a file off skydrive I put the link on the site to share and even set it up where you could not do any thing to the file and low and behold some one figured out a way to go in and delete half the items on it. I was never able to get all the files back. any way I am a little bit against doing that again due to some one hacking the file. if some of you guy's want to look at it and maybe copy it I could put it up for a short time and then take it down. just let me know if some of you would like to view the file or to print a copy of it.

I was able to download and uncompress the file successfully. Thanks for sharing. You compressed the files into .gz and tar files. Some people may choke on this. Download the free 7Zip app if anyone has any difficulties.

I am more interested in LDMOS technologies but I appreciate studying how things were done using bi-polars.

Reactions: kaos513
the guy that asked about it said they have 16 pills and wanted this set up. but since he has not came back I will more than likely pull it off in a day or 2.

You know if you do it like most your efficiency is going to drop with each additional pair due to matching issues. The impedance bumps on most of those large builds tends to be terrible as well. I have not built anything like that from scratch but I have seen a ton of them fail in short order and it is almost always more of the same! What you need to do is model it on a known commercial grade amplifier at the very least.

Bologna. Those big builds go bad for a lot of reasons. Usually because people are too cheap to buy matching pills, too lazy to match cap values, cheap out on the heatsink, or use a poor layout because it was crammed in too small of a case.

The main reason being the builders don't know what they are doing and just make it look like a davemade or fat boy with some added crap they call improvements. The customer is disappointed and the amp gets sent to another moron for repair. This happens a few times and the amp is finally blown or sold. During this time it was never touched by anyone that understood how the thing works.

All he is doing is building 4 4 transistor amps and using a 4 port splitter and combiner. There's not much loss in these unless the circuit is designed or tuned wrong. I've also saw them built out of 2 transistor modules and with 8 port combiner. If a person can build an amp in identical sections, combine it and has a clue about tuning an LC network it will work very well.

Want to improve efficiency? Retune the circuit so it is optimized for 13.6v and stop copying what davemade NJ was doing over 20 years ago.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated