• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

160m to 70cm

C2

Aug 3, 2005
I almost got an 706mKIIG in like new condition for $585. I let it pass.

Was wondering how those are on AM?

Also, of the others with that coverage, do any stand out as being really better? I also see some FT-100Ds on the market.

Would you guys just say stick with an HF and a seperate dualbander (but then no AM/SSB...)?

Last one I always thought of, was the TS-2000.

I always figured it would be nice to have it all wrapped in one, high quality rig.

Decent price on that one you passed if it was in good shape.

The 706mkiig sounds really good on AM, IMO.

The DSP isn't that good, but now there's the ic-7000 if you want that.

I use a 706mkiig in my Jeep. I think it really is a good all around rig. Very hard to beat, but I think Icom just did beat it with the new 7000. Pretty steep price tag on that new one, though...

Some how the IC-7000 just did not click. I kept thinking IC-7800.

OK, now that looks like a good rig too, but for that I might just do the TS-2000.

I think I should have picked up that 706...it was a local sale too.

o

I have 2 706's (MKIIG) and I love them. All radios have their quirks and Moleculo is right. The DSP is only fair (for one) and I don't like the squelch on FM (too short and not hysteresis). Beyond that, I love them and they work well. And I DO work 40 Meter AM with mine! :)

CWM

Hey...

706 MKIIG is a great all round radio..
although it has only so so DSP..

it is however a Great radio
i use it for SSB and FM mostly
although i sometimes use it on am (and used to use it a lot on AM)it works great on all these modes

suprisenly i find the new IC-7000 does not have as good audio..
i just got it though and so i must go though the learning curve..

i am used to set it and forget it in regards to using 706 MKIIG

i thought of gfetting the TS-2000
i know a few people who use and love it (i still may buy one)
i suppose i am too used to Icom and know its and like its Quility

Too bad you Passed on that 706 MKIIG
Dont make that mistake again.....LOL

Later

I will also give a thumbs up on the IC-706MKIIG.

I performs well on all bands (that I am licensed for) and has good receive. I can't comment on AM since I only use that mode for checking the SWR :roll:

For the price it used to be ($600-$700 new) it is a nice all mode HF/VHF/UHF radio.

Icoms use an electret condensor mic, so using a diferrent microphone is not as easy as other radios (anyone got a decent Heil HMM-IC handheld mic for cheap? :LOL: )

Definitely like it better than my Yaesu FT-847 as far as HF receive is concerned.

C2 all DC to daylight rigs have there limits.The 706 series has been a solid rig for many years and seem to have a solid following. I have a yaesu ft-100d,they didn't do as well on the market as the icom 706 did.But i have played with icoms 706mkIIg and feel yeasu's ft100d DSP and NB are superior to the icom 706. If you do decide on ft100d try to get later model and avoid the non D models and make sure it has 6.0khz am filter. Either way there both great rigs, your choice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.