• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

163 in the desert is on 38 lsb today

Art Bell lived just outside of town here in a place called Pahrump, NV.

he had a huge loop antenna set up out there very high up in the air.

one day he decided to measure the voltage from feedpoint to ground and saw over 400 volts there.

he thought for a bit that he had discovered free energy.
It turned out to be a phenomenon with blowing sand hitting antenna elements and creating static electricity.

the ham community here was talking about that one for a long time.
LC

Art Bell lived just outside of town here in a place called Pahrump, NV.

he had a huge loop antenna set up out there very high up in the air.

one day he decided to measure the voltage from feedpoint to ground and saw over 400 volts there.

he thought for a bit that he had discovered free energy.
It turned out to be a phenomenon with blowing sand hitting antenna elements and creating static electricity.

the ham community here was talking about that one for a long time.
LC

Interesting guy for sure. Would like to have known him.

Reactions: 357magnum and Rwb
Art Bell got talked about around here a lot because he was local.

You could actually talk to him on your ham radio!
There were soooo many fanboy hams around here drooling over the idea of QSLing with the great Art Bell.

The truth?
he was a bit of an ass IMHO.
very elitist, and talked on the radio as if he was hosting a show, and all the hams that wanted to talk to him were like the callers. (i never spoke with him but was listening a few times when he was on the air)
not to mention him marrying that young filipino girl with weeks of his wife's death.

great radio host? sure.
great person? ehhhhh...
LC

I just liked his shows,he could hold an audience.i know he was a ham

Reactions: 357magnum
Do they have "NIST traceable" "certificates of calibration" for all of the "measuring devices" in that RV?
You know, so they can be sure their customers are getting "the good stuff" at the "right amounts" and not the "bad stuff"?

Reactions: Rwb
I bet they do. Certified scales I’ll bet. Certified measuring cups at least. I’m not a doctor but I played one on TV when I was young, I held a lot of babies so I have a good idea what 8lbs feels like.

That’s good enough for state work.

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.