• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

17 meters this evening

RickC.

Hopeless antenna junkie
Mar 30, 2009
Alabama
While waiting for the Kingsford coals to cook down enough to cook some pig meat, I went into the shack to see if I could catch any of this activity I've been too busy to enjoy.

10 and 12 were both dead, so I went to 17 meters-- the very first voice I heard had a northern Irish accent, and I recognized him as Gerry in Donegal--I had worked him a couple of times a few years ago, and my XYL and myself spent two weeks in Donegal in July/August studying the Irish language. I had misplaced my logbook that had my contacts with Gerry, else I'd have looked him up while we were there.

He immediately came back to me and asked if I was still playing mandolin and had been back to the All-Ireland (there wasn't time for him to look this up) and though the QSB was closing the band we had a nice QSO for a few minutes. If we can afford to go back next year, you can bet I'm going to see him.

That, and fall weather has finally reached Alabama, a fire on the patio-- life is good, friends!

Rick

Reactions: 2 people

I also have been working 17,15 12 and 10 meters,the past few days all those bands have been hopping for me

10 and 12 I have been hearing the Pacific rim,Japan and Austrailia...and 15 ,17 meters have been hearing Europe as well as all over the states

Mainly from about 3 PM to 8 PM centeral time for me

I'll have to wait until Sunday to get back on the air, hopefully the bands will hold up. What's usually happened lately is when I finally do have time to get in the shack, everything folds up.

17 has been good here in TN too this weekend. I believe I got a couple Cali qso party contacts on 17.

73 kj4unx

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.