• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

1969 final....

phantom309

Aug 23, 2015
As I am progressively learning more about the technical aspects of the hobby the thirst for knowledge is getting larger.

That said, even though the original 1969 transistors are no longer made I do have a few older radios that have them in them, though the radios are dead is there a way to check them to see if the final is still good?

What other parts should be harvested from the donor radios that may be getting increasingly difficult to find?

Is they a way I should store the parts?

Not really sure why this final is so sought after but I have 3 radios that have them in them, but part of me says the 510 and 520 mofsets may be a better choice then going though the trouble.

I am no technician so all I would do is havest the parts, if anything needs actual repair I would then give the havested parts to a repair technician to repair my radio.

Damn I hope this make sense.

If you Google "testing transistors with a multimeter" you will find what you need and even a video or 2.

The 1969 final was normally used in SSB radios. CB shops would replace the stock finals in AM radios like the cobra 29 with a 1969 to get more power. When the 1969 started getting hard to find the mosfets gained popularity. The 520s work even better for the shops because they are dirt cheap.

I would definitely save the 1969 finals but would save them for repairing a radio that was built with them. Most of the mosfet final upgrades are just a gimmick to make the CB shop easy money. You can set them up to make some impressive numbers on a watt meter but the radio ends up being a filthy turd. Money is better spent keeping a clean radio and using an external amplifier. JMO

If you have this you can test finals, caps, diodes resistors, ect.
If you are unsure about a part, pop it into the tester and find out.
You can compare parts to the data sheets and cherry pick the best parts.

Don't try and buy one off ebay cause they're 99% fakes.
Most 23ch SSB radios have good parts like 1306, 1973, 1307's.
The fets and audio chips, front end diodes are all good parts.

$_57.JPG

Most radios that do have the 1969 are usually worthy of repair; so why harvest them? Eleflow 20's are a new part that replaces them verbatim. So; why bother?

MOSFETS are here to stay. Originally used in switching power supplies and other consumer goods, techs found that by making some changes in radio circuit boards - they work. Since then, there has been a change in the industry to build them specifically for RF/radio circuits. In fact, there is a company that makes high power devices that meet all of the standards necessary for RF, as well as being so sturdy that one can direct short them and they will not fail at full output. MOSFETs have indeed come a long way.

Yes, techs found that they can get a nice profit from changing them over due to their low cost and minimal time for installing them.

If a rado is going to sound like a turd, then that same person tuning it would have made that radio a turd regardless of what type of device was used. I blame the operator/hack that is trying to milk every last watt out and doesn't give a rat's toukas how it works, so long as they make their wattmeter happier.

Save the 1969 for a good radio that you can profit from installing it in. You can still by legitimate ones from places like RF-Parts but the price is insane for what they are which is why the mosfets are all the rage. Youc an get 10 of them at a time for about the same price as one 1969 a legitimate 1969 that is. I amno going to lie I like the sound of a 2SC1969 better than fet's and I like how they drive other bipolar devices as well. They are not better just different. People that chase power number's like mosfets but anything less than 100 watts from the stock 4 watts to me is a waste of time in terms of an upgrade. From a profit stand point though it makes perfect sense!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.