• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

1995 Cobra 29 LTD WX Classic - No Modulation

Brandon17425

Apr 15, 2020
Hi,
first time poster and cb radio owner :). I purchased what appears to be an unmolested 1995 Cobra 29 LTD from Goodwill for $30. Just getting into the hobby and was able to buy a cheap clearance $7 walmart magnet mount antenna, $3 cobra mic (goodwill) and the power cables $5 to attempt to get this up and running.

I can calibrate the antenna, hear the weather band and pa/external jack works as well as speaker when talking through the microphone. Just can't seem to receive any transmissions nor does the meter modulate when speaking into the microphone on transmit. No antenna light errors. I keep reading about the finals needing to be replaced as well as mosfet modding. Sounds like it is best to keep this oem/stock and just try and replace the finals? Which are the proper ones to use for a 1995 29 LTD? Side microphone jack :(. Have a buddy who inherited a bunch of cb radios and we are both trying to get into this hobby.

Thanks!
Brandon

1995? Ok, er ah, how did you verify the date?

1995 is pretty old, and requires some work right from the start - a bunch of capacitors in that radio will need replacement - you may be seeing / experiencing those issues right now with it seems to work, but don't. Those caps have dried out so they are no longer very effective in specific circuits they are needed in to make the radio work.

This requires a soldering iron and solder with some experience in soldering - it's not difficult, but will be tedious and may not be your cup of tea after making the attempt only to find it isn't working yet.

A lot of times, these radios show up in Goodwill stores because the previous owners couldn't fix them or continue using them - even never bother checking them - just threw them in the "Donate" box and left it for someone else to figure out - or they didn't want to spend the money in getting them fixed after they find it doesn't work anymore and eBay isn't "fun" to them anymore.

It would have been easier on you, if you already had a working radio.

Knowing what it does when you turn this or operate that - can help you in solving simpler problems onto the more complex "What The Heck" moments.

Having a working model helps,. to use it as a template, to help you for what you are trying to figure out what you're doing on your own, stone cold, on a radio you have no experience in using or operating it before
- only it does seem to function
  • but as you said, no receive but you have something working
  • - it may not need new finals,
  • just a good tune up (your Calibrate antenna reference means you have something showing power)
- but that requires you KNOWING the radio and what's inside it.​

upload_2020-4-15_10-37-26.png

Look in the upper corner of your Forum pages, for the Search box with the Magnifying Glass - type in your Radio and hit Enter - you'll get a lot of links to articles in this Forum alone over what others do, did arrived to, completed, repaired - fixed replaced, located or otherwise found the "Holy Grail" of their answers and participating in leaving better results and descriptions behind for others to follow and locate for their own solutions...

I'm not an expert on this by any stretch...but having not received a reply yet I'll share my thoughts.

Just can't seem to receive any transmissions nor does the meter modulate when speaking into the microphone on transmit.

Don't rush to the finals.. They won't have anything to do with RX. I would think - maybe someone can confirm - that if you're able to cal the meter that your finals are working.

Sounds like a mic issue to me.

I have pretty good soldering skills, just no idea what parts to buy. I did try jumping the mic terminals for transmit and receive with no needle movement.
Here’s a few pictures of it:

Attachments

• 709F9CDE-3812-4333-8C7E-BED97578381B.jpeg
    709F9CDE-3812-4333-8C7E-BED97578381B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • CF1A129C-3A27-4C1F-9943-70C96DFF66F3.jpeg
    CF1A129C-3A27-4C1F-9943-70C96DFF66F3.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 637720A6-86FB-47CE-A760-C742237F1D4B.jpeg
    637720A6-86FB-47CE-A760-C742237F1D4B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
I have found a few schematics and parts lists, but most are for the newer 29 LTDs and it sounds like they have different internals.

Ok, we have an answer and you won't like it...

Here's Why it doesn't work...
KEPC-SMMissingParts.jpg
Top side of board, note Inset -
See the missing parts silkscreen on the board?

Now the Foil side...
KEPC-141AMissingPArtsFoil.jpg
Same section by the VCO - L19 area...

You are missing several $$$ components as well as some semiconductors and other smaller NPO parts - this appears to be a refurbish radio ...

In this photo it's clear that parts were taken off - and used in other working radios or these fell off inside the wave flow soldering machine and never got checked out for refurbishing or Quality control or worse...A DONOR radio for someone else to parlay (play) with and you bought it...

You have way too much wrong in this radio and it would be an expensive repair to even try this yourself - they would be in over their head for ANY inexperienced user - this is not an easy simple job.

Once you get the parts on there and soldered in correctly we won't know if it will work even then.

IN the above, the VCO area is the most critical part of the radio - you are also missing parts from the Regulation area and other IF sections too. This is a mess of parts missing and you're better off returning this as non-working.

IT simply will not work except to turn on and maybe PA - but nothing more...

Now if you want to sell it - $10 for parts...you pay shipping...I might buy it...

Reactions: Brandon17425
Aside from the missing parts, the component side of the board looks "virginal".
It could be worth something to someone looking for parts for their 29LTD???

David

Just buy a radio either used from a Garage sale, but that too is a CAVEAT EMPTOR (Buyer Beware) ...

Or just go to known radio dealer, CB Shop Electronics Store or a Truck Stop and PURCHASE an NEW IN BOX (NIB) radio Keep your Receipts.

If you have the antenna? great! Keep it, but be ready for a new antenna - because you can use the "Return Policy" to help your situation. Not sure if this current deal is going to pan out and actually have the antenna in decent shape to work with - you already got stung on the Radio part, we can lose on the antenna too...

As far as radio use? Setup? Install? There are plenty of opinions and options but let's keep it simple.

Base? Need a radio you can plug into the wall, or like your 29 idea, requires a Working Radio, you'll need Coax, Antenna (Base antenna BIG antenna -stuff) Power supply for it and some assorted accessories like an SWR meter, Patch cord and even a Dummy load - which you can look around in here again to find those in this site.

But you will need to look into Searching for Blogs out here on the 'net for information in radio setups, you can search here, but this is mostly an Amateur radio site, not the best starting point for a beginner CB'er - they tend to frown on us being what we are.

Aside from the missing parts, the component side of the board looks "virginal".
It could be worth something to someone looking for parts for their 29LTD???

David

Make him an offer _ I did - I'm negotiable...For the radio (Come on guys---out of the Gutter...):)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated