• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

1st AMP AL-811

The following is a direct quote from the AL-811 manual.

METERING FUNCTIONS
The AL-811 has two illuminated panel meters. The right meter
reads PA grid current up to 200mA. The normal current with a
single tone (carrier) signal will be around 150mA.
If the current
is too high during full power operation, the loading control
should be advanced to a higher setting.
If the current is too low, the loading control should be turned to
a lower setting. The left meter reads PA high voltage of 2000
volts and plate current of 750mA. The normal readings are
1500-1700 volts HV and 550mA of current at full rated output
with a single tone signal.

750mA on those 811A's is asking for trouble.

yeah, 750 (max) may be a little high for 3 811's, but the 450Ma number did seem a little low.

thats why i asked: " where did you get the 450mA max plate current from?"

811H

I run a 14 year old AMERITRON 811H & it has had FEW issues & the one's I caused or when a tube went bad.It does a GREAT job & it's RARE that I wait VERY LONG in a pileup if I'm on my MOSLEY TA-53M or my G5RV.It is worth EVERY PENNY.LOVE my little 811H & I would buy another one should this one EVER die & be beyond repair.The 572b tubes do NOT make more power but they do run COOLER so consider that before SPLURGING on a set.The 811A's work just fine & LAST a coupe of years EASY if you DON'T "OVER DRIVE" them.

SIX-SHOOTER;)

Well I got the 450 from the initial settings, the manual doesnt really give you any max readings, I usually put out between 4 and 500 at 450 on the Plate Current so I guess I am not over driving it and it should last me.
The manual is much to be desired as far as info goes..

I am loving the Amp, its really helped me get some of those weak stations, basically if I can hear it now I can work it. Also helps a bit in pile ups ..

I run a 14 year old AMERITRON 811H & it has had FEW issues & the one's I caused or when a tube went bad.It does a GREAT job & it's RARE that I wait VERY LONG in a pileup if I'm on my MOSLEY TA-53M or my G5RV.It is worth EVERY PENNY.LOVE my little 811H & I would buy another one should this one EVER die & be beyond repair.The 572b tubes do NOT make more power but they do run COOLER so consider that before SPLURGING on a set.The 811A's work just fine & LAST a coupe of years EASY if you DON'T "OVER DRIVE" them.

SIX-SHOOTER;)

And a set of 572s in an amp designed for 811As will last 30+ years, barring idiots or catastrophic failures.

I was REALLY surprised to see original 572s in a Gonset GSB-201 pile of frig I just rebuilt. It's an 811 amp, and the guy my customer bought it from ran the 811s for, as you put it, a couple years.

When they went bad, his "elmer' gave him a set of 572s. They ran fine until 2 years ago when a parasitic supp died.

You sure about the tube temp? I was under the impression that in the 811s and other 811 based amps, when putting 572s in it, they ran about the same temp.... Unless you drove the piss outta them.

Never tried it with an IR thermometer, though.

--Toll_Free

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.