• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

1st CB

kd0fx

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Aug 16, 2009
EN10bt
Is there a generally accepted entry level CB? I'd like to have one in the shack just for the hell of it and see what it does. I've got a 20 year old Realistic, but I don't recall it being that spiffy and I'd like to have SSB. And a big ole S-meter, cause I like to watch them.

why go entry level ? go ahead and spend $100 and get a used uniden grant in good condition .
if you want a big meter to look at get an astatic 700 swr/watt/modulation meter .

A big ol S-meter?
That would mean that you would want a Galaxy-brand radio.
Like a Galaxy 88 or 99. I have a DX 99V and it is an XLNT radio - I recommend it with no reservation. They don't make them any more - but some radio shops still have refurbished units in stock - which is fine.

Or - the cheaper route would be an older Cobra 148GTL. Preferably a Philippine or Malaysia manufactured unit. Maybe not a big meter on that radio - but the SSB is really, really nice.

Last edited:
I 2nd the Galaxies. Ah go ahead and get happy and get a medium power (40-50 watt) export and have the extra channels and some of 10 meters too. Not that much more money in the big picture of the shack.

Good luck

Last edited:
I was figuring $100 - $150 was entry level. I wouldn't bother with one of those $50 things you find.

A Galaxy 88 does not have a big meter like the 99. Since you said you want to talk SSB I would skip the Galaxy Exports, they drift real bad. The best radio performance wise would be a nice used Uniden Grant xl. If you really really want a large meter the Galaxy 959 cb set fits the bill.

The Grant is that good, eh? How much would I expect to pay for a good used Grant? Otherwise, I see Worldwide DX has a refurb 959 sitting in its store for a decent price.

Get a GALAXY 2547, my unit works good, get it peaked/tuned and extra channels, and it has a big meter and doesn't drift

DOCTOR/795

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.