1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

2 antennas/1 mast :)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by ShagNasty, Jul 5, 2021.

1. ShagNasty

ShagNasty New Member

Hello everyone,
    I don't post a lot but I have read a lot on this forum and I have learned quite a bit from the good folks here.
    That being said, I am hoping some of the antenna gurus here can help me out with a question or two.
    I am planning to install a 2m/70 cm vertical (Diamond X30) and an inverted vee dipole(Maxcon OCF-3K80) on the same mast approx. 35' up. Will the antennas cause any issues being installed this way? Are there any issues I should be aware of?
    Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.
    73, KO4RJE (Kevin)

S&W357 and Crawdad like this.

2. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

No worry. Will work.
    Mike

binrat likes this.
  3. groundwire

groundwire Sr. Member

Its been awhile since i have dove into the handbook but if i recall correctly, when mounting multiple antennas on a single structure you want to keep the antennas at least a 1/4 wavelength apart to minimize antenna interaction. Now thats with all hf, all vhf etc. One hf and one vhf/uhf probably wont matter much. But i would give a good spread between the two anyway to minimize possible overloading of one receiver or the other.

binrat likes this.
  4. The20poundhammer

The20poundhammer Sr. Member

I have a Maxcon OCFD and have it mounted coming off my tower about 20 feet below my 11 meter quad. It works great for both antennas.

ShagNasty and Crawdad like this.
  5. ShagNasty

ShagNasty New Member

Thanks for the answers, I am still in the planning phase but looks like it will work. These 2 antennas will be used on the same radio (Yaesu FT-991A) so I shouldn't have any problems with overloading. Hopefully I can get it up next weekend and then I can give a real world review on how it works. I have the 2m antenna at 10 ft right now and I am having problems hitting the repeaters in High Point (about 20 miles) so I hope moving it up will allow me to get out to them.

S&W357 likes this.
  6. ShagNasty

ShagNasty New Member

How do you like the Maxcon? Does it work as advertised? I only read good reviews on it so I ordered one today, I hope it works well for me.

S&W357 likes this.
  7. Justme

Justme Sr. Member

No problem.
    Running an FT991A or my FT847 with Collins filters thee OCF for 160 to 6 meters is 6 feet away from the X510N 2/70 vertical, no problems using them on the same radio's, 2 and 70 are far enough away in frequency from HF that the input of the receiver won;t be overloaded even running 800 watts on HF on the OCF antenna.

ShagNasty and Slowmover like this.
  8. The20poundhammer

The20poundhammer Sr. Member

The Maxcon works great for me. You get swr pretty much as advertised. I have made a bunch of DX contacts with it. I have the feedpoint at about 65 feet the end of the long side at 55 and the end of the short side at 45. You dont need a tuner but i still use my Palstar to get it to 1.1 and 0 reflect.

ShagNasty and Slowmover like this.
  9. groundwire

groundwire Sr. Member

Vhf/uhf on top, hf below

ShagNasty likes this.
  10. ShagNasty

ShagNasty New Member

Yeah, that's the plan, we will see how it works out in execution. :)

groundwire likes this.