• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 battaries

Yeppers. When you key up you will be drawing off of both batteries and the alt. Some people like to use an isolator for the extra battery so that it is only drawn from when used by whatever is hooked up to it. I have used a second battery(Optima Yellow Top) hooked up as you describe, right next to my RF amp and don't use an isolator. I have'nt had the first problem to date in over 6 years in two different mobile setups. I have a tow package on my PU which has a higher amperage output (130 amp) which really helps. The second battery acts more like a large capacitor in the system when I'm TXing. I also keep in mind that when I'm TXing that I am drawing off of the whole system. At highway rpm I don't worry about it, but at idle I know I am taxing the system and try not to be too long winded in a QSO due to the draw down on the system.
Hope this helps!

73's!

That helps a lot. BUT i was wanting to know will my alternator charge both battaries? I was always told when i drive around and have higher RPM my battarie will charge. Is this true? And all i have is a stock alternator. Just wanted to know so im not screwing up my truck. Thanks CDX197

No you will not mess up anything in your truck...
I run 2 batteries in my Dodge under the hood..and i use 2awg
cable connected as u said above...with a 130a stock alternator...Never had any problems for years...

Yes your alt will charge both batteries...no problem...

AM POWER

Even a stock alternator? I was told (im told many things :) ) That they loose there amps when they get older. This truck is a 81 so i dont know if the guy replaced it when he had someone rebuild the motor but it looks old. On the alternator it 12V but i dont know how many amps that is.

Yes even a stock alt...
If you think the battery needs to be replaced?
Then replace the battery..with a bigger one if you can..:)

AM POWER

To run them in parallel like that, they do indeed need to match.

The isolator is to prevent what's called a "circulating current". If you start and run the vehicle every day, neither battery will run down far enough to create a problem. What we see over and over is that when the weather changes, or when the vehicle is parked for a couple or more days, one battery will self-discharge a little faster than the others. Now, the other battery will try to 'charge' the one that ran down first. This is the "circulating" current. They'll do this until both of them are flat.

What you can't predict is how long you'll need to park before this happens. Might be three or more days. If you live in a climate that has four seasons, the first night the temperature falls to freezing, this will exaggerate the small differences in self-discharge between one battery and the other. Folks around here learned to unhook the extra battery when they'll be parked longer than a day or two.

Isolators are not magic. They will create a voltage drop, and you'll see less power when an isolator is in line. They are not fail-proof, and will break down if overloaded.

Best solution I know is the battery switch used in boats. Selects "A" , "B", "Both" or "off". Just gotta remember to select only one battery before you leave for a week's vacation.

Do you know how many amps that alt puts out? I have a 77 chev. and it only had a weak 42 amp alt when I had it tested it actually did around 60. I was amazed when I read the case and saw how few amps it was. This vehicle even had power windows,locks,ac,cruise I'm suprised it even lasted being used to power my 5 pill driver. What I'm getting at is you might be ahead to upgrade the alt. instead.

Cheech said:
Ok hate to ruin the party but the batterys need to be alike in order to be charged properly in paralell.

BS, you must be thinking of a flashlight. you can run acid or gel cell batteries in parallel or series and they will charge as fast.
Gel cells take a little longer to recharge but hold amperage better.

Hahahaha flashlight my @ss. Two difrent batteries will never charge the same!!!!!!!!!! You do this over and over one battery will charge and the other will not fuly recharge! Batterys have difrent internal resistance. So one battery will charge and the other will not and if it does the other battery willl still be geting charged while the other is and the one with the lowest internel resistance will be charged and it will get over charged. Scroll down to 10 on the link its there to! I dont tell bull Sh!t!!!link

I didn't bother with your link and no one said anything about 2 different batteries anywhere in this thread and yes 2 different batteries will eventually equalize to the weakest batteries potential.

CDX197 said:
i am wanting to run 2 battaries in my truck. I will just hook it strait to the other battarie. + to + and - to -. Will this work???? Need info ASAP! Thanks CDX197
My guess was the batteries where not the same. My bad :oops:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.