1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

2 Element Quad Build

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Redbeard U812, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Redbeard U812

Redbeard U812 Active Member

Looking to build a 2 element quad. Found a reference to a PDL 2 Avanti here on this site. Copied the Owners Manual, thanks to who ever posted it. Built my "StarBuster" based on the StarDuster, and it works great. Have been researching the 2 element quad for next build and the PDL 2 seems to have those interesting loops and a gamma match. Wanting to build my quad in horz. rectangle shape to keep from having to install a antenna matcher, 75 ohm coax, or a ballun to reach the 50 ohm desired for 10/11 meter use. Would the PDL 2 design be worth incorporating into my build? Would the gamma allow me to tune with out loss and maintain the square configuration? Does anyone know or can explain what advantage this gives to the quad?

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.

2. Redbeard U812

Thanks BJ,
    Have reviewed a lot of that already. The PDL 2 allows for 44" of beam. The configuration I have drawn calls for 8' of beam. Wondering if anyone has an explanation for the loops.

3. midnight special

midnight special Well-Known Member

pdl is a switchable horizonal/verticle beam,,,it was used with a switch box so as to be used either way,,,

4. SIX-SHOOTER

SIX-SHOOTER Well-Known Member

I prefer the Y-Quad design over the PDL II since it does not require the tubing loops. Both worked very well.

SIX-SHOOTER

5. Redbeard U812

Ok, now I understand. Should have gotten that out of the Owners Manual, I'm sure I was fascinated by the cool look of it and just skimmed through.

midnight special likes this.
  6. JAF0

JAF0 Active Member

When directly feeding a full wave loop or quad driven element, the typical expected impedance is about 100 ohms giving a 2:1 swr,
    but by adding a parasitic element about .2 wavelengths apart, the feed point impedance tends to drop close to 1.2:1.
    Trimming coax until an even lower swr is obtained is also sometimes employed mostly to keep the radio happy.

Direct feed the bottom center and you will have a great performing horizontally polarized quad.

7. midnight special

midnight special Well-Known Member

in the 1977 the big dummies guide to cb radio has the best plans and ideas for a quad,, from a 4 element to making a 2 element....hard to find book i know but maybe some one has one to scan somewhere,,,,